The Walking Dead: Season 8

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Thank you, Dani. I knew Thanksgiving was an American thing but since you wished it on us, I just wanted to give you the gesture back. It's just a time of year that I start thinking of my people that aren't around anymore. Not to be morose or anything, just ruminating on the past. The past rears its head at this time of year, ugly or sweet, and I deal. It's a bit of a comfort to have friends here at MoFo to talk to and share movies and TV with. Anyway, now for the run up to Christmas.
yeah that's xmas for me.time for loved ones and to celebrate those gone.

Latest episode? Thoughts? I liked it. Big surprise, huh?
What episode is it up to, dad? I always forget about TWD but I'll let Mr D know

Latest episode? Thoughts? I liked it. Big surprise, huh?
I don't know if it was the last episode or the one before, but I thought the whole Rick vs. Daryl fight was lame.

(After all this time Daryl's gonna be a dick now and wreck all the plans they spent so much time forming, sacrificed and worked so hard for? Of course, his reaction is probably because he's wondering what we all are - why didn't Rick just shoot Negan when he walked out that door a few episodes back and Rick had a clear shot and could've ended it all right there? Answer - that's what anyone would've done in real life, but then we wouldn't have a TV show - which has nothing to do with real life since it's about zombies!)

Man, I think I was thinking of the previous episode. It's up to Episode 6, and holy crap! I just realized I haven't watched the entire episode yet! I was sure I had but I've been sick since Sunday night and forget to pick back up...I think. It's not on my DVR and I've been out of it! Crap! I need to get on my On Demand and see if it's there! I remember certain things happening but I'm not sure if I remember the end or watching the after-show with Chris Hardwicke.

thanks, D

I'll watch it when I get home but will give hubby the heads up

Well, I watched it on On Demand and it turns out I did see it but it was late, I was sick, and half-remembered what happened. I did indeed like it as it turns out. I particularly liked Rosita being prominently featured on the episode and
WARNING: spoilers below
blowing up the guy with a rocket launcher

I also enjoyed Maggie
throwing Gregory into the newly-constructed jail-pen just inside the gates along with the Savior prisoners. I couldn't help but laugh when the two guys were dragging Gregory to the pen and he started crying, saying, "I haven't done anything!" Oh no, just left Father Gabriel for dead, trapped at the Sanctuary. And while he's struggling not to go into the pen, he gets his head bonked on one of the posts and gets a bloody head. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

I was (shock! surprise!) disappointed by Rick's actions in going to
the junkyard people, whatever they call them and trying to make a deal with them. And then getting turned down by Jadis, their leader and thrown into a shipping container. It was interesting seeing her mark a big "A" on it in chalk, as if indicating another container will be used for something else. I don't know. At this point, I guess I'm going along with everyone else and getting sick of his pacifism in trying to save people.

Which leads me to my next bit of wondering: is Daryl and the rest of the crew in the garbage truck going to
ram open a big hole in the Sanctuary, letting all the walkers in? I think Daryl, Tara, and Rosita have no problem in "innocent" people at the Sanctuary dying if it means Negan and his crew dying also. Daryl has just as much admitted it with his actions and in fighting Rick and Tara wanted to kill all the Saviors they caught. I just don't know what Michonne thinks about it all.
She's with them, but is she with them? Hmm.

What was the deal with Rick opening up the microwave sitting on the wheelbarrow at the side of the road? Is this their system of mail now? He was reading Maggie's words. And people handed Maggie paper where she read what Carol said about the Kingdom's few survivors from their last ordeal. And Carol was also reading what Maggie had written. So it appears they have a mail system between the communities.

I just kind of want to see Rick's "leadership" slip some more because at this point, most of the people are chafing against his wanting to be humane. They are ready to kill to survive and they don't seem to much care if they kill men, women, and children to overthrow Negan. They haven't yet, but they seem willing.

Originally Posted by Doolallyfrank
The problem with Daryl's plan is that it'll unite the saviours rather than have them give up peacefully
That, and it opens a big hole for the Saviors to get out, which defeats Rick's plans. I think that's what Michonne was talking about when she said something like, "Things are good as they are now" or some such. She meant that they were trapped by the walkers for now, no matter what, but Daryl's gone off plan and screwed the pooch.

Yeah, Rick was stupid to go to Jadis and her group and get turned down and then
magically beat the crap out of the three or four guys that came at him, rip the head off the zombie and knock Jadis down and threaten her with the chomping zombie noggin! I kind of laughed at all that. It was very improbable but it was entertaining. And the fact that Jadis got her gun people to stand down and not kill Rick was...I don't know. This is several times that things have gone wrong when Rick should have killed Jadis but this time she seems to respect him. I guess letting her live again impressed her.
I can't wait though. I'm going to a Walking Dead wiki and see what happens with her and her Scavengers ultimately. I know we can blame the show runners for some of the annoying stuff, but then again, Robert Kirkman is one of the show runners and he writes the comic so I'm guessing they're still following his basic blueprint to keep him happy. So basically what we're seeing is the comic played out, unless the after-show makes a point (and they usually do) that the show is straying from the comic on a certain story line.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
This show makes my brain hurt (or maybe if I had a brain I wouldnt keep watching).

The scene where the Saviours roll up on Maggie and co at the roadblock. Why do they sit in the cars and do nothing and just hand over the guns? Looks like at best there are 10-12 Saviours and 6 cars full of Hilltop armed soldiers, the Saviours are way outnembered and outgunned yet Hilltop just rolls over. Scenes like this are the thing that has ruined TWD, basic logic is abandoned.

I understand your frustration. I was really honked off with the fight between Rick and Negan inside the Rick's house, and when Rick finally gets the drop on Negan with his gun, he doesn't fire??? What!? And all this time he's been saying, "Only one man has to die." What the hell?

And then we have Carl
get bitten. And because it was in the stomach he can't have the wound cut off like you could a limb. So, he's doomed. Then what the hell was that scene at the very first of the season with a grey-bearded Rick lying in bed, then going into the dining room of some house where Judith, Michonne, AND Carl were all alive? It was supposed to be a flash-forward like the comic. Are they gonna cop out now and say that was a dream?
I mean the
coming death of Carl is a surprise and yes, gives the show more weight in daring to do that, but
damn, man, give us as fans something, like a huge victory or two, or the death of a bad guy at the hands of our heroes. And no, Maggie shooting the guy from the outside pen/jail doesn't count because in all honesty, I'd forgotten who the crap that guy was.

And were we supposed to feel something for Neil or whatever his name was when Simon shot him while he sat in the backseat of Maggie's vehicle? I don't remember that guy at all. They give him a lame throwaway line like, "Damn straight!" so we'll notice he's sitting there and then we're supposed to feel for the guy when he's offed? I don't think so. I think this was the weakest mid-season finale yet and I'm usually championing this show. But this one was pretty lame.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Your journey to the Dark Side is now complete.

I'm soooo tempted to open dad's Carl spoiler but I havent seen this season yet and I just know it doesnt say

NEGAN KILLS HIM!

I understand your frustration. I was really honked off with the fight between Rick and Negan inside the Rick's house, and when Rick finally gets the drop on Negan with his gun, he doesn't fire??? What!? And all this time he's been saying, "Only one man has to die." What the hell?

And then we have Carl
get bitten. And because it was in the stomach he can't have the wound cut off like you could a limb. So, he's doomed. Then what the hell was that scene at the very first of the season with a grey-bearded Rick lying in bed, then going into the dining room of some house where Judith, Michonne, AND Carl were all alive? It was supposed to be a flash-forward like the comic. Are they gonna cop out now and say that was a dream?
I mean the
coming death of Carl is a surprise and yes, gives the show more weight in daring to do that, but
damn, man, give us as fans something, like a huge victory or two, or the death of a bad guy at the hands of our heroes. And no, Maggie shooting the guy from the outside pen/jail doesn't count because in all honesty, I'd forgotten who the crap that guy was.

And were we supposed to feel something for Neil or whatever his name was when Simon shot him while he sat in the backseat of Maggie's vehicle? I don't remember that guy at all. They give him a lame throwaway line like, "Damn straight!" so we'll notice he's sitting there and then we're supposed to feel for the guy when he's offed? I don't think so. I think this was the weakest mid-season finale yet and I'm usually championing this show. But this one was pretty lame.
Yeah, I didn't even know who Simon shot - I was pissed at that scene. First I thought they shot Jerry, but then they show Jerry still on his knees with a gun to his head. Then I thought he shot Jesus, but he's okay... and the guy in the back seat behind Jesus is okay, but there's blood on the back window. Talk about a throw-away character - I didn't even know there was a guy that had been sitting behind Maggie!

On Carl:
WARNING: ""Spoiled Coral"" spoilers below
My feeling is the actor grew up too fast. If we look at how much time was supposed to have past and how fast Carl went through puberty, he had an unnaturally fast growth spurt. I don't know where they are in the comic now, but Carl was a little kid for most of the part of the series I was familiar with. That's always a problem when using kids on the verge of adolescence in TV series that are basically serials (where time passes sequentially, but at a much slower rate than reality since they have a week between each episodes and season breaks of several months).
The question now is: will Enid give Carl some mercy love as a goodbye present? (Or, is the virus communicable through "having relations"? Did they ever address that?)

Heh, heh, I liked the "Coral" reference there, Captain. As for Enid, remember
she's at Oceanside with Aaron and she shot that Grandma character that ran the place, and her granddaughter is weeping over her body and everyone has guns pointed at Aaron and Enid. Doesn't look too good for Enid at least. So I'm not sure she'd even be able to get back to Carl to give him some Walker World Woo-Woo. Speaking of Oceanside, Rick and Company took all their weapons. Where did they get these?
Hmm. A blooper or a show mystery to be solved? The way things have been going lately I'm going to call blooper that they won't even try to explain.

"Luck don't live out here."
I've defended The Walking Dead for several seasons up to this point, but it's finally lost me. AMC refuses to give it the budget it deserves, and everything suffers as a result: the visuals, effects, writing....everything. Some parts of the story remain interesting, but for the most part it's become a stagnate, repetitive mess. I don't think Gimple is the best showrunner in the world, either, but I don't think all of this falls on him (again, budget).

I'm not one to stop watching a show cold turkey as I try to finish everything I start, but I can't say I'm looking forward to the second half of season eight.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
There was not a single moment in this episode that felt earned. The writing has just gotten so mediocre, even with the characters.

SPOILERS

I can't stand Eugiene, they failed to make him interesting.
Editing was horrible, I had no idea what was even happening sometimes. Who got killed? lol idk.
Rick's character has become uninteresting, and the writing has become so lazy that they keep on post-poning something that could've happened long ago. He had the upperhand to Neagan twice! Why didn't he shoot him? Idk man, lol. What about when Neagan was on the floor and Rick had the bob-wire bat! "Lol, nah fam I will hit him with the butt of the bat and not bash his head in because reasons"
Also, Carl with the bite mark? Where did that come from?
Can I also say that because the show has been so lackluster, literally nothing gets a real emotional response from me anymore? They basically confirmed that Carl was going to die, and I was like "Meh". I am just so exhausted from the show. I'm sure I will get sad later, cause he was a good character.

The show has been plummeting in ratings, I have a lot of friends who LIVED for Walking Dead a couple of years ago, now even they are disinterested. When I told them about Carl they were like "Oh really? Okay". Please, the show just doesn't have much thread left to pull from, get good, strong writers to conclude the show with Season 9, I want to have good memories of Walking Dead when I look back 5 years later, I've invested so much time, we deserve better.