Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

North did write a score that was eventually ditched by Kubrick in favor of classical music. North found out at the premiere
Ouch! Kubrick must have been a pip to work with. There's an alternate spelling to "pip"... I knew North's score was ditched, but somebody had to write the well known theme.

*I just checked, and had forgotten that Richard Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra (1896) was used: the "Sunrise" theme. Very powerful.

Here is the original opening by A. North, which to me sounds like another big budget western film score. Well composed, but nothing special:

https://www.classicfm.com/composers/...space-odyssey/

THE GREEN KNIGHT

A masterpiece and the greatest Arthurian adaptation. It was worth the delay to see in theaters because, to Scorsese meme for a second, this is cinema.
Everything I've heard/read about it, ranges from good to masterpiece. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to risk a theater outing now so I'll have to wait until streaming

Everything I've heard/read about it, ranges from good to masterpiece. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to risk a theater outing now so I'll have to wait until streaming
Can’t blame ya. Fortunately, I’m vaccinated and weekday showings at late hours seem to be particularly empty so I’ve been going for the last few months.

Have you seen Lowery’s other films?

SWEENEY TODD
THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET

(2007, Burton)
A musical

Sweeney Todd follows the barber (Johnny Depp) as he returns to London after 15 years of being falsely convicted and exiled by corrupt Judge Turpin (Alan Rickman). Realizing that he has lost his wife and that his young daughter is now under the care of Turpin, Todd sets out for revenge by reopening his parlor in order to lure Turpin, and eventually kill him. Aiding him in this quest is Nellie Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter), who owns a meat pie shop below Todd's establishment.

For some reason, I had relatively low expectations for this. Burton and Depp have been hit and miss for the last decade or more, it's not a film you see mentioned often, and I seem to recall a more lukewarm reaction to it (although it seems I was confused or mistaken). But anyway, a while ago some friend listed it among her own favorite films or musicals, which intrigued me. So when this category came, and I saw this was available on Hulu, I decided "why not?" and what a surprise it was.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

So glad you enjoyed this movie...and you're right, there's not a lot of discussion about it around here. I was wondering if you liked it enough to seek out the original Broadway production. I'm pretty sure I could send you a link to a DVD of the stage musical if you're interested,

Can’t blame ya. Fortunately, I’m vaccinated and weekday showings at late hours seem to be particularly empty so I’ve been going for the last few months.

Have you seen Lowery’s other films?
I think only A Ghost Story, which I loved.

So glad you enjoyed this movie...and you're right, there's not a lot of discussion about it around here. I was wondering if you liked it enough to seek out the original Broadway production. I'm pretty sure I could send you a link to a DVD of the stage musical if you're interested,
Sure thing! Send away.

TOOTSIE
(1982, Pollack)
A film from Sydney Pollack

"I am Dorothy. Dorothy is me. Nobody's writing that part. It's coming out of me."

Tootsie follows Michael Dorsey (Dustin Hoffman), an unemployed actor that's been "blacklisted" for being a perfectionist and hard to work with. Desperate for money, he assumes the persona of Dorothy, a middle aged, feisty woman, in order to land a job in a soap opera. Of course, things get complicated when "she" becomes a star, while also falling in love for "her" main co-star (Jessica Lange).

This is a film I didn't feel that drawn to; I probably wouldn't have seen it if someone hadn't recommended it to me, but I'm glad I watched it. However, I won't deny that I had some significant issues with how the plot develops, but for the most part, it was an enjoyable watch, well acted and with some important and still relevant points to get across about the treatment of women in the workforce, and in general.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot and the PR HOF4

I think only A Ghost Story, which I loved.
Then you should be in for a treat. I struggle to imagine someone loving one and not at least liking the other.

I love both but currently prefer TGK.

Then you should be in for a treat. I struggle to imagine someone loving one and not at least liking the other.

I love both but currently prefer TGK.
Given how much I love A Ghost Story, I'll keep an eye out for The Green Knight. Here's hoping it contains a lengthy scene of someone eating a pie as well.

I forgot the opening line.

By Focus Features, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2748633

Brick - (2005)

Popular movie here, so much so that it would feel superfluous to detail what it's about or who made it. The kind of noir where I like to get the whole plot down-pat so I can just sit back and enjoy the visuals, performances and soundtrack. I never get tired of watching Chinatown, and so it might be for this. Recently, after watching A Man For All Seasons I gave it an 8 - but then got pretty obsessed with it, and have since regarded it as a '10'. I feel a similar potential with Brick. Dark, beautiful and stunningly original considering it's well-trod source.

8/10

By May be found at the following website: IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=47575397

Spotlight - (2015) - Rewatch

This film didn't really click with me when I first watched it as a 'Best Picture' Oscar movie - but I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. Maybe it was because all the pressure was taken off, and I wasn't expecting too much. Perhaps I should give The Post another shot now.

8/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=38814188

Sunday Too Far Away - (1975)

This is as Australian-film as you're ever likely to get - which might make it a little weird for non-Australian audiences to watch. I don't know. Set in the world of sheep-shearing, where the men nearly kill themselves with booze, try to kill each other with fists, and then work one of the hardest jobs there is in competition with each other. My head hurts just watching these guys. There's a kinship here that's unmatched though - except for when the shearers go on strike and reluctant union-man Foley (Jack Thompson) has to go to war on everyone's behalf. The title 'Sunday Too Far Away' comes from the Shearer's Wife's Lament - "Friday he’s too tired, Saturday too drunk, And Sunday, he’s too far away.” The first film made by the nascent South Australian Film Corporation. Lovingly directed by Ken Hannam - this is a pure film experience and probably best experienced on the big screen. A classic.

9/10

SF = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Hmm...
I'm watching Dumb and Dumber (1994) now, but haven't finished it yet. I'll type when I'm done.

Recently I saw two parts of Mad Max, two were IMO better - after that, I saw her as the last one.
Certainly, Mad Max is an icon of his time, it has a unique atmosphere - which has been transferred to pop culture.
For example, one of my favorite games is Fallout - which draws a lot of money from the Mad Max universe. The film is suspenseful and slightly exaggerated. There are twists and turns, and there are touching moments. The brilliant performance of Mel Gibson and an unforgettable atmosphere, where all items were covered with dust and the smell of the wasteland was flowing from the screen.
Strong 8/10

3rd Re-watch...it's not my favorite Woody Allen film, but I do think it's his masterpiece. Woody has won 3 Oscars for screenplays and 1 for directing and I think his screenplay and direction for this film is better than his work that won Oscars. As always, he pulls superb performances from his cast with standout work from Martin Landau and Alan Alda.

Crimson Peak really surprised me. I knew beforehand that it was a gothic horror of which I am not usually a fan. I don't really care for the costumes, the dialogue, or the big bulky houses. I had also read that it is a psychological horror. I disagree, it's actually just a ghost story, nothing psychological about it. The only reason I gave this a shot is because it was directed and co-written by Guillermo del Toro and I have enjoyed other work by him, such as Pan's Labyrinth and The Orphanage. I now have a third movie of his to add to that list and am looking forward to more.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crimson_Peak_theatrical_poster.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	79803