Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I found Torn Curtain very blah. Poor actor chemistry and just all around unmemorable. As in, I am not sure I could tell you a single thing that happened in the film. The only thing I remember about it is being baffled by the acting.
Hmm. Food for thought. Thanks!

You don’t remember that
WARNING: spoilers below
excellent brawl where they try to quietly kill each other in the farmhouse?
Here was my reaction to that: "Was that really something that happened, or is he joking?".

Portrait Of A Lady On Fire is beautiful, but pretentious. You can see right when the movie starts. One depicted men badly, the other depicted men badly, one was truthful, the other was not.
But . . . there weren't any men in Portrait of a Lady on Fire?

The "villain" in the film is the social system that pushes people to marry for a "good family match" instead of love, and the face of this villainy is the mother, a female character. Heloise had been in a convent, and it's only because of her sister's death that she's even been "pulled off the bench" to get married.

It's true that patriarchy is one of the oppressive forces in the film (along with religion and social class), but men aren't the bad guys in the movie.

In fact, one of the biggest barriers to their happiness is Marianne's idea about love and art, and the fact that she would rather "possess" Heloise as a perfect captured moment on canvas than as a whole, real person.

Hmm. Food for thought. Thanks!
I'm sure it's still . . . .fine. But as with any really talented filmmaker, something mediocre can seem much more disappointing.

But . . . there weren't any men in Portrait of a Lady on Fire?
I've tried to find the scene on YouTube. It's the second scene in the movie I think.

I don't know, is not often that I like a film and dislike it the second time around, but I did. Maybe because it's French, there's many French movies I don't like without a particular reason, maybe it's my instinct or prejudice thinking they think they're ahead of everybody else, I don't know, and I don't care that much. There's a lot of things I don't try to put into words, just like when you find a person and your first instinct/reaction is to dislike her, and maybe with time you change your view, and maybe you know what made it change or maybe you don't think about it.

Victim of The Night
Can you give me some thoughts on this? I haven't seen it since the 80s and have been thinking about re-watching it but I thought I remembered being kinda lukewarm on it despite some critical praise.

Victim of The Night
Folks on here toss around feminist and woke to the point of meaningless around here.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire is great.
Glad to hear it. Looked really good.

Victim of The Night
Definitely watch it. Regardless if someone feels it’s “crazy feminist”, (and really, other then being an exaggeration, how is that an issue?) you should watch it and decide for yourself.
It has me interested in her earlier works
now.
Yeah, I guess I thought the person was saying that the director, who was crazy feminist, was not good because they were over-focused on making political points and not focused on making a good film, which I would be less interested in. I think we've solved the problem.

Victim of The Night
Okay, I'll be as quick as I can for these five films, where I delved in reputation be damned to try and find a gem I think deserves better than it got...

By Vertical Entertainment - Vertical Entertainment, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=63494479

The Head Hunter - (2018)

Pretty interesting low-budget horror film set in a mythical dark ages kingdom. Here a monster-killing bounty hunter is set on revenge for the killing of his daughter. A lot of the action takes place off-screen, but it has a moody atmosphere and plenty of invention. Not quite Evil Dead-type mayhem but it has a kind of deadite feel to it.

5/10
I've been considering this for a while but a 5/10 review doesn't really inspire me.

Can you give me some thoughts on this? I haven't seen it since the 80s and have been thinking about re-watching it but I thought I remembered being kinda lukewarm on it despite some critical praise.

"Lukewarm" pretty much describes it...Sarah wanting to reconcile with Macon 2/3 of the way into the movie made no sense to me. The issues that tore them apart hadn't changed. William Hurt was superb. Geena Davis was good, but I don't think she should have won the supporting actress Oscar. I checked the other nominees that year and at least two of the other nominees were better than Davis.

I've been considering this for a while but a 5/10 review doesn't really inspire me.
I thought Head Hunter was pretty cool. An interesting way to make a monster movie when your budget is too small to afford any monsters. (You'll know what I mean if you watch it.)
I think MKS was a fan too.

I thought Head Hunter was pretty cool. An interesting way to make a monster movie when your budget is too small to afford any monsters. (You'll know what I mean if you watch it.)
I think MKS was a fan too.
WARNING: spoilers below
2 words: gorilla suit

I haven't seen the movie.

Rawhead Rex. I can still remember hiring that from the video shop. I have a copy somewhere. Another I should look back on sometime.

I'd like to jump in the Portrait of a Lady on Fire bandwagon. It's great.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
(1968, Kubrick)
A film about astronauts or set in space

"I don't suppose you have any idea what the damn thing is."
"I wish to hell we did."

2001: A Space Odyssey was released in the spring of 1968, puzzling critics and audiences in the way. It is reported that in one premiere alone, more than 200 people walked out. Much like the scientists (or the apes, or Bowman) in the film upon finding the famous monolith, they were probably wondering "what the damn thing [was]". That is a question that even I, on perhaps my 4th or 5th viewing, still ask myself, regardless of my undying love of the film.

Although it spans several centuries, 2001: A Space Odyssey primarily follows a crew of astronauts on their way to Jupiter; a journey that was apparently sparked by the discovery of a mysterious monolith buried under the surface of the moon. But to limit the film to just that chunk is a disservice to it. The film is much more than that, more than the "apes" that initially encountered the monolith in the first act of the film, or more than Dave Bowman's colorful space "trip" beyond Jupiter in the last act.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Finally, I get to see what the Nightbeast looks like! Scary stuff.
Another victim in Rockatansky's ceaseless and senseless disinformation campaign.

Another victim in Rockatansky's ceaseless and senseless disinformation campaign.
Quiet, you!