Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Rough Night isn't a terrible film per say but it gets more things wrong than right. This Hangover/Ghostbusters(2015) hybrid tries very hard to make women funny but much like how Chris Hemsworth stole the show in Ghostbusters the men stole the shot in Rough Night. Mush like with how in Ghostbusters Wiig and McCarthey both tried to play the Bill Murray role, three of the women tried to play the Zach Gallifankis role. The humor is also very soft R where if you are making a film like this you need to shock the audience it doesn't do that.

But don't get me wrong it's watchable and some of the jokes work it's just a deeply flawed and uninspired film. It just works best when the leads are off the screen.

It looked to me from the trailer as an all-girl casting (yet another all-female remake of a previously male-dominated cast movie) of Very Bad Things. Was that impression wrong?

For an Alexander Payne film this is a bit of a let down. I liked the message but there was a real opportunity lost when something that should have been explored and I thought they set it up earlier in the film as well. I won't get any more spoilery.

I saw this on Thursday (the day it was released) and I was sorely disappointed. It was trying to do too much and was all over the place with the social commentary. It was if the movie was trying to fit in every single liberal criticism of the world in a single movie. Also, the entire point of the protagonist seemed to be to suffer at the hands of women. If he could be incredibly long-suffering at the hands of women, then he was a "good man" and, thus, was finally worthy of acceptance and/or love (even though it meant giving up everything including his future, his dreams and even his life). The movie also wasted some amazingly incredible talent in small parts and off-beat roles.

The only good thing that I can say about the movie is that there was an unusually clear distinction between the acts: Act I - the normal world, Act II - Leisureland and Act III - Norway.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
It looked to me from the trailer as an all-girl casting (yet another all-female remake of a previously male-dominated cast movie) of Very Bad Things. Was that impression wrong?
I had never heard of it and had to look it up. Good god what was she thinking. I agree with one of the reviewers on imdb - women just arent funny in that idiotic toilet humour genre. And with all the australians in hollywood they gave the role of an australian to an american? Bloody hell. I might check it our just when I feel like something totally cringe worthy.

And your review of downsizing looks horrendous. Sounds very divisive to me and I just cant stand that.

Evangelion 1.0 (2007)

Well, okay, it's just total rehearse so far from couple of early episodes which ofc i will enjoy it, these typical gritty and grim version of it ultraman story trope. Problem i guess the pacing did emotionally rushed, condensed for one feature, but guess i got this problem too with the tv series and hideaki anno's work, sort of. animation itself.. I dont think so much different by quality gap from years ago, it's just much cleaner with strong saturation. the use of cgi on certain aspects, did feel lessering. still every battle sakuga is definitely remain top notch.

Eva 01 -

You think Joy Division sucks? I've seen this but for some reason it never showed in my tabs. I give it
I'm narrow minded with music and don't even recall ever hearing of them. I was harsh with what I said though. I thought the song at that moment sucked, but it's common for me to not care for a song for 30 years and then suddenly have it become a favorite if I hear it at the right time.

... don't even recall ever hearing of them....
My fave group of all time ..... down in my estimation you go Sir

You can't win an argument just by being right!

I dont have the words to rate it. I've never liked Carla although I've only seen her in Entourage and Prison Break and she always plays a ball breaker. She sure cant play nice - I thought she was terrible. A few laugh out loud moments but that's about it. I should have read the book instead.

Imagine Very Bad Things but with the theme and tones of American Pie.

It's got okay sex jokes, the characters are fine but it never really gets into that next gear. You don't really laugh hard and you aren't really shocked at anything.

I did think it was better than Ghostbusters

Lady Bird

This was a weird one for me. For the first half i was thinking to myself "thought this would be better" then suddenly i got really into its script and themes. Iirc Raul had a similar experience saying he liked it more when he thought about it and he thinks it could be a favourite on a rewatch. I don't know if it could become a favourite of mine but i definitely want to see it again. Ronan was excellent, liked Metcalf too but i think she is getting a little overpraised right now because the complicated mother role is something that really appeals to people; Ronan was better. Anyway i liked this alot despite not being sure at first.

About 30 minutes in, I thought I was going to be irritated by this film. And It's journey through obnoxious, uninteresting, unstable teenage-girly nonsense painted as some "coming-of-age" tale. (And no, the mentioning of "girly" does not make me, or my statement 'sexist.' I know several about to reply now. I KNOW WHO YOU ARE! I SEE YOU THERE!)

Then the film took some different directions, although not resulting in anything 'too' in-depth. However, some of them actually made me a bit emotional. (I was actually getting misty-eyed during a certain scene.) However, in the end, after about an hour more of the film: I don't really think I cared a whole lot about everything else that transpired. Sure, the ending was somewhat deep and redeemed some of the more simplistic thematic elements that were present throughout the film. I adored the writing, some of the humor, the main character and the relationship with her mother. But I don't see myself re-watching this any time soon. It might need to grow on me.

This one might also need a re-watch or two. (Maybe even several.) And It'll probably get better with each viewing. I was absolutely floored by this. The BALLS on this--phew!

(PS: a lot of people on this site are going to despise this movie. )
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534