Star Wars Movies Coming to Blu-ray

Tools    

Hey, if his tinkering had actually improved it that'd be great. It's not just Star Wars, it'll the other two as well. None of the 'improvements' actually have been, IMO. Extra shots, a few extra seconds here and there, usually with some 'comical' CGI monster farting, burping or throwing a stormtrooper off. None of these things sound like significant improvements, things that generations from now would be looked at as the great final touches from a master. Even if I liked them or thought them funny.
How do you know?! How do you know future generations aren't going to find them great final touches from a master? We cannot predict the future or what future generations are going to think. That's the thing -- generations change. Lucas might be putting in last minute touches because he might suspect people's prejudices about things might change and thus Star Wars would have a little something more to it. In the future, burping and farting monsters might be all the rage. Or at least people won't be so prudish and automatically proclaim fart jokes as immature and unnecessary. Everyone farts and burps, don't they? Everyone blinks. Get out of the granny panties and think about why Lucas might put these things in -- someday, these final touches really might be seen as innovative and smart. I'm sorry, people of 2011, but we all might really have our heads on backward.

Originally Posted by honeykid
I understand the scene he inserted in Star Wars with Jabba. That's something I could see as an improvement. Something that he wanted to do before but couldn't. At least, not with Jabba as we know him. Something which links the films. I don't like it, but I acknowledge that it's an attempt to make the film closer to his vision. Even having Greedo shoot first, while a criminal act of cinematic vandalism as far as I'm concerned, could be seen as 'correcting a mistake'. Would Hitchcock have gone back and rejigged Sabotage so that the bomb didn't explode, if he could've? We'll never know.
Well, why do you not like Jabba added in? Is it really an artistic mistake or is it just uncomfortable to you because it's such a huge change and not like the original? Would Jabba in the original have really made you more disgusted with Star Wars?

Originally Posted by honeykid
However, those are the only examples I can think of where you could argue that he's improved the films. An attempt at perfection. Let's face it, but for 20th Century not taking Star Wars seriously and thinking they were getting the better of the deal made with Lucas, he wouldn't be able to do any of this. He's the Bill Gates of Hollywood.
What's so bad about Bill Gates?

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
From Killerfilm.com

Sorry folks, Greedo still shoots first on the Star Wars Blu-ray

Sep 2, 2011

Well, here’s another change to the ever-controversial Star Wars Blu-ray set. Back in 1977, Han Solo shot Greedo first, after a debate on his status as a wanted man for the bounty hunter working for Jabba the Hut. Fans were appauled when in 1999, A New Hope was changed making Greedo shooting first.

As a Han Solo fan, his 1977 action made him just a bad-ass. Now he’s a man using self-defense. On the upcoming Star Wars Blu-ray set, many changes are still being made, like a leaner, tighter version of the editing on Greedo shooting first. Yeah. Check it out:
&feature=player_embedded

There's fine tuning then there's completely altering characters, that's a pretty iconic, defining introduction scene for Han

How do you know?! How do you know future generations aren't going to find them great final touches from a master? We cannot predict the future or what future generations are going to think.
He's not claiming to know, he's just saying he doesn't think it will. I don't either. Though if we can't predict what future generations are going to think, what reason do we have to think Lucas is any different? He sure didn't predict how this generation would react very well.

Plus, come on. The idea that an Ewok blinking is going to have ANY significant effect--good or bad--on how these films are perceived just isn't plausible.

I'd be against most of the tinkering even if it was an improvement, for the record, but I don't see how it is. Most of it is unnecessary, obviously takes away from something many people regarded as a strength of the film, or actually goes back and changes the way characters are developed, like the Han/Greedo thing, which is probably the least defensible change. At least the others are pointless and cosmetic. That one actually alters a character's personality after we'd already decided we loved him.

A system of cells interlinked
Lucas is a sad, sad old man trying to capture lightning in a bottle when the storm is long gone. He tapped into some magic in his youth, magic he is constantly trying to recapture. He just won't do it.

This short film could be about Lucas:

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
You mean you like Episode 1 the most of the prequels?
I didn't say that. I said that I own Episode I. It was actually given to me as a gift. The only thing worth watching in that movie is the podrace.

That's an especially good point, I think. It's one thing to keep fiddling, it's another to refuse to let people choose between the versions. That, actually, makes me think that it really isn't about money, but about some misguided perfectionism. He doesn't want anyone to see them without the latest tweaks.
I agree that he should release the original versions on DVD and Blu-ray. We deserve to see them the way we love them. I'm not particularly crazy about Star Wars personally - maybe that's why I can say all of this stuff with some conviction. I don't hate them or wish them trashed or think people should just shut up and let George Lucas anally rape them like he did to that Stormtrooper on South Park.

But like I was saying - I think he's found a loophole in introducing his "corrections." DVD and Blu-ray re-releases are being used to market the transformations so that everyone will know and see it. He can't keep putting them in movie theatres everytime he makes some slight alterations. Maybe he could, but it's more risky. That would really disgust more people, I think. He'd be even crazier if even did that - he's already done it once. But with DVD and Blu-ray, he's skipping all of that and putting it in your home first. I think this is also smart because kids who have never seen the original versions will get the new versions and see those for the very first time and their minds won't be so judgemental because they will get used to the new stuff. Those will be their happy memories for life. He is conditioning the new generations already. Smart man. I recently read a book called My Best Friend is a Wookie -- by a guy who grew up obsessed with Star Wars -- and in the beginning, he's taking his nephew or something to see Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the kid absolutely loves it and absolutely loves the Star Wars prequels and prefers CGI Yoda over Puppet Yoda, etc.

I have been saying for some time now that our favorite movies - and even our favorite things in movies - are only just personal preferences, things we love all thanks to our personal psyches. It's all in our head. If you don't have the childhood love for the new versions of Star Wars, it's probably never going to feel right unless you truly have an open mind. You might proclaim that something is artistically wrong - and I think Yoda has a good case with the "Nooooo!" thing - but I bet a lot is just that you can't wrap your mind around the changes because it doesn't feel right. It's foreign. It's alien. They're intruders in the night.

I said what George Lucas is doing is revolutionary and I meant it. This is an experiment -- but it one day might become more common than we'd ever suspect. Of course, George Lucas could totally be at fault for this, but who knows if it's really going to end up being a bad experiment? There are no bad experiments -- there's only data. And this is data that is only going to help us in the future. It is possible that right now George Lucas is paving the way for some incredible things that could happen with cinema. We just might not know it. But just because it hasn't happened yet - or may never will - doesn't mean we need to poo-poo everything and stop something in the middle of progress or before it even gets off the ground. This is a technological and spiritual jump for movies -- crazy? Maybe. But crazy gets results.

Plus, come on. The idea that an Ewok blinking is going to have ANY significant effect--good or bad--on how these films are perceived just isn't plausible.
I really doubt that. Maybe not the films, but perhaps the Ewoks, and perhaps Return of the Jedi anyway. Ewoks have a reputation of not being liked -- but what if they had blinked originally? I'm serious about the eye thing -- it's innate with human beings. People love eyes. Eyes charm and seduce. Bat your eyes and land yourself a boyfriend! Yeah, they're furry costumed creatures, but a blinking eye can really do so much more. It affects people's emotions -- perhaps deeply. Unconsciously.

I didn't say that. I said that I own Episode I. It was actually given to me as a gift. The only thing worth watching in that movie is the podrace.
Phew, was just clarifying, you sounded content owning that one over the others.

Aye, people hate the Ewoks, but they hate them because they think they're cutesy and far too effective at fighting stormtroopers, and not because of any anatomical suspension of disbelief.

I never minded them, personally, but that might be because I was pretty young when I saw the films, so I was more apt to like fighting teddy bears.

Ok, Sexy Celeb, I got a question for you. You keep talking about the younger generation watching Star Wars, but who is showing it to them? Do you honestly think that someone like me (I'm old enough to remember watching Return of the Jedi in the theater) is going to show his children the bastardized versions of the film or the one I love from when I was a kid? Which version do you honestly think more kids will end up seeing?

Kinda more than one question...whatever.

Ok, Sexy Celeb, I got a question for you. You keep talking about the younger generation watching Star Wars, but who is showing it to them? Do you honestly think that someone like me (I'm old enough to remember watching Return of the Jedi in the theater) is going to show his children the bastardized versions of the film or the one I love from when I was a kid? Which version do you honestly think more kids will end up seeing?
Depends on the person, of course. Certainly there's got to be people who grew up on the originals and don't mind the changes made.

We have the power to shut down Lucas' obsession with altering Star Wars -- we really do. Unfortunately, too many people do cave in and buy the re-releases with the changes. I will probably get the Blu-rays that are coming out soon myself. I really want to watch them on Blu. I think it would be spellbinding.

But if the rest of y'all really hate these changes so much, then I hope you're gonna ban this release and not buy them -- even though damage has already been done.

Oh - and to answer your last question, more kids are gonna see the special editions/Blu-ray editions, etc.

SC this last page or two are the dumbest series of postings I've ever seen you put out. Honestly. Delusional to the nth degree.

Also, I couldn't see me ever buying these. The only reason I have Star Wars and Return on dvd is because I was able to get them with the original versions included.

SC this last page or two are the dumbest series of postings I've ever seen you put out. Honestly. Delusional to the nth degree.
I'm upset that you feel that way but I do not feel delusional. I do not think that my posts were dumb. But I forgive you for thinking that.

Obviously I know from experience that you're intelligent, but I will say that if I didn't know you at all, and you said this...

"In the future, burping and farting monsters might be all the rage."

...I would probably assume you were dumb. But I know better, thankfully.

Oh - and to answer your last question, more kids are gonna see the special editions/Blu-ray editions, etc.
Why? The original fans are the ones who will show them to their kids!

EDIT: Dammit, SC, you're the first person to negative rep me. I would never do that to you, not after you're review of The Beaver and our debate about Chasing Amy. Lame.

You ready? You look ready.
Han should always shoot first!
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Why? The original fans are the ones who will show them to their kids!

EDIT: Dammit, SC, you're the first person to negative rep me. I would never do that to you, not after you're review of The Beaver and our debate about Chasing Amy. Lame.
I feel terrible about that. I considered not doing it, but I didn't like your flippant remarks after I had put much thought into my post. Planet News has been a bad influence on me - he's always giving me negative rep.

I had put much thought into my post.
Just speaking isn't thinking. By the speed and length of your reply, it's very doubtful that you actually took some time and thought about what you were going to say. I think it's much more likely that you just said the first thing that popped into your head as you were typing.

It's more than clear to me that you are just playing devil's advocate here... though not especially well.