The 2nd Science Fiction Hall of Fame

Tools    

@ahwell @Citizen Rules @edarsenal @John-Connor @Nathaniel @pahaK @rauldc14 @Siddon
+ anyone else who joins between now and Friday night:

Let me know if you guys would prefer I schedule a time Saturday to reveal the nominations, or if I should just post them first thing in the morning. If I set a time it would probably still be rather early for a lot of people in the US since I'm 1.5 hours ahead of Eastern.

Well for me midnight Friday makes sense because my nomination is actually on TV on May 4th, might make things easier for people.
Midnight in what timezone though?

I can't even stay up until midnight UTC (10:30pm my time during daylight savings), let alone midnight Eastern (1:30am for me) haha. Most days I have to be up at 3am for work, so I'm used to being in bed quite early. On my days off I like to sleep in until around 5:30am or so, which I think is only an hour past midnight Western time, which isn't a huge difference.

Around what time of day is your film airing? If it's not until the afternoon or evening Eastern time, I'll have the nominations up before then regardless, since I wouldn't schedule the reveal later than noon, and if I post it in the morning my time, it's still the middle of the night for some people.

Midnight in what timezone though?

I can't even stay up until midnight UTC (10:30pm my time during daylight savings), let alone midnight Eastern (1:30am for me) haha. Most days I have to be up at 3am for work, so I'm used to being in bed quite early. On my days off I like to sleep in until around 5:30am or so, which I think is only an hour past midnight Western time, which isn't a huge difference.

Around what time of day is your film airing? If it's not until the afternoon or evening Eastern time, I'll have the nominations up before then regardless, since I wouldn't schedule the reveal later than noon, and if I post it in the morning my time, it's still the middle of the night for some people.

2 pm EST

Nominations will definitely be up before then. It would be 12pm Eastern at the latest (if we do a scheduled reveal).

If you're worried about the availability of your film outside that airing, I have a streaming link from archive.org that I can send anyone who can't find it on their own, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Nominations will definitely be up before then. It would be 12pm Eastern at the latest (if we do a scheduled reveal)...
Anytime works for me. I'm up early today, usually I don't log on until 8:30 to 9 AM west coast time.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm pretty open as well. I'll see them in the afternoon so however it works out for others, I'm good.

The good news: I may have finally settled on a nomination! The bad news: It's a comedy, so I don't know how you guys will react to it haha.

I self-imposed some rules that my film had to follow: 1. It couldn't have been in a previous HoF, 2. It wasn't on my list for the Sci-Fi Countdown, and 3. It's not in the top half of any of the current lists. This one hits all three of those, and as a bonus - it's Canadian! It hasn't had much discussion about it on the site in general though, so it's hard to gauge how many of you may have already seen it.

It's not even remotely the kind of film I was originally planning on going with (since I wanted something more serious or philosophical), but it's definitely the type that might generate vastly different responses, which if nothing else, should be interesting to read.

The good news: I may have finally settled on a nomination! The bad news: It's a comedy, so I don't know how you guys will react to it haha.

I self-imposed some rules that my film had to follow: 1. It couldn't have been in a previous HoF, 2. It wasn't on my list for the Sci-Fi Countdown, and 3. It's not in the top half of any of the current lists. This one hits all three of those, and as a bonus - it's Canadian! It hasn't had much discussion about it on the site in general though, so it's hard to gauge how many of you may have already seen it.

It's not even remotely the kind of film I was originally planning on going with (since I wanted something more serious or philosophical), but it's definitely the type that might generate vastly different responses, which if nothing else, should be interesting to read.
A comedy sci fi is good variety is good and any discussion is awesome. Really for me discussion is what I like most about HoFs.

I like how you had self-imposed rules to choose from that's interesting cause I kinda did the same thing. I wanted a film that would be a 'Citizen type nom' and hadn't been widely scene. I just checked and mostly the only person who ever talks about on MoFo is me! So I'm going to send you my nom right now

George Lucas has insisted that the Star Wars movies are not science fiction.
https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a1...is-not-sci-fi/
who givs a fck what he thinks. hes the reason the framchise went to sht in the first plasce.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

who givs a fck what he thinks. hes the reason the framchise went to sht in the first plasce.
he made it so he can call it.. also the reason there is a franchise in the first place..

George Lucas has insisted that the Star Wars movies are not science fiction.
https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a1...is-not-sci-fi/
He seems to have a very narrow definition of what the genre is. He's entitled to his opinion, just as we're allowed to disagree with it. I've heard people argue before that the film is a "space opera", but doesn't the "space" part of that read as sci-fi anyway?

A primarily fantasy or fairy tale type narrative can still be science fiction, unless we're supposed to assume that all the fictional machines in his universe are powered and created by magic or something.