Issue with saving lists on mobile

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
So here's an odd thing - when checking off movies on the lists in mobile, I find I have to do it twice before it works. Is that just me?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
So here's an odd thing - when checking off movies on the lists in mobile, I find I have to do it twice before it works. Is that just me?
No it does that to me as well

Can you guys elaborate a bit on "do it twice"? That might mean the click/press itself (do it twice for it to be crossed out), or it might mean you press once to cross it off, hit save, and then have to do that whole process a second time.

Also very important to distinguish whether this is on mobile devices of the mobile style. If you're on a mobile device but using the desktop style, then that makes a lot more sense

Press it, hit save then it isn't crossed off but if I press it again and hit save again, it is. (Although is listed twice in the recent list updates.) On a mobile device and using mobile version of the site.

Just tried in desktop style on a mobile device and that seems to work normally.

Also only seems to happen with official lists, not custom.

It's hardly an urgent issue, just an odd quirk!

Ya I've just become used to doing it so it really doesn't even need to be fixed. Never said anything because it never really bugged me.

Press it, hit save then it isn't crossed off but if I press it again and hit save again, it is.
To clarify, with the "hit save then it isn't crossed off," that means the page fully reloads but the list is unchanged? Is it ALL changes you made there, or just one? IE: is it failing to take just one film in particular, or does it not log any of the (perhaps multiple) changes?

(Although is listed twice in the recent list updates.) On a mobile device and using mobile version of the site.
This part is interesting. If you could do a small test at some point it might help: try to make a similar update, hit Save, let the page reload, etc. Then basically "leave" the page, verify there's an update entry for it, go back/refresh, and let me know if it takes there.

My suspicion is that it IS taking, but it's just not displaying the updated list to you right away, or something like that.

To clarify, with the "hit save then it isn't crossed off," that means the page fully reloads but the list is unchanged? Is it ALL changes you made there, or just one? IE: is it failing to take just one film in particular, or does it not log any of the (perhaps multiple) changes?

This part is interesting. If you could do a small test at some point it might help: try to make a similar update, hit Save, let the page reload, etc. Then basically "leave" the page, verify there's an update entry for it, go back/refresh, and let me know if it takes there.

My suspicion is that it IS taking, but it's just not displaying the updated list to you right away, or something like that.
It is the same with multiple changes.

I've tried what you suggested, updated, hit save, left it and then went back and it looks like it did 'take'.

Got it. Okay, cool, that's very helpful.

That narrows it down a lot, so it seems the problem is that it's just not displaying the updated version to you initially. I'll have a look.

Hmm, I've been unable to reproduce this: just now I went, on my phone (and using the mobile style) to the Best Picture Oscar Winners list, checked off the first item, hit save, and it reloaded the page with that checked off.

This makes me wonder if we actually were talking past each other: when you say it wasn't "checked off" do you mean that what I described just now didn't happen, or do you just mean it didn't show cross the item out immediately when you checked it (before hitting Save List)? If it's the latter, that's a different (and less concerning/easier to fix!) problem, and good news. You should, however, still be seeing the check box next to the title even if the extra little visual confirmations aren't there.

Can either of you confirm?

Hmm, I've been unable to reproduce this: just now I went, on my phone (and using the mobile style) to the Best Picture Oscar Winners list, checked off the first item, hit save, and it reloaded the page with that checked off.

This makes me wonder if we actually were talking past each other: when you say it wasn't "checked off" do you mean that what I described just now didn't happen
Yes, I mean that it reloads the page without it checked off.

However, I tested it again twice just now and once it failed to check off and the other time it did check off. Possibly making it more confusing as it is working sometimes but not others.

You should, however, still be seeing the check box next to the title even if the extra little visual confirmations aren't there.

Can either of you confirm?
I don't see any check box at all, I just click on the title to check it off.

However, I tested it again twice just now and once it failed to check off and the other time it did check off. Possibly making it more confusing as it is working sometimes but not others.
Okay, gotta get a bit more granular. Can you send me the two lists in question (the one that had this issue and the one that didn't) via PM?

I don't see any check box at all, I just click on the title to check it off.
Same, but you should still see a checkbox to the left of the title on mobile. You don't?

Hm. I changed literally nothing, so that makes me even more concerned/suspicious that we haven't all been talking about the same thing.
Weird. Maybe it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Like I said it's no big deal to me at all I've gotten used to double checking.

There are only two reasons something would happen sometimes and not other times:

1) There's some kind of weird server load/hiccup/whatever (very unlikely).

2) The two actions are not actually identical.

The second one is probably it, particularly because it's very very common for people to think of two actions as identical when they have subtle but important differences (IE: saving a list, but saving a different list than the first time, or doing it on another device, or...et cetera).

As for caring, if someone doesn't care and would rather not help debug it, that's understandable. But obviously I care and would always prefer people report these things and, to whatever degree they're willing, let me walk through it with them so I can find the problem, if there is one.

I don't have time right now to try every list, maybe
later, and I'll edit in

Doesn't cross off straight away:
Sci-fi
Comic book
90s

Does cross off straight away:
All time refresh
Film 4 50

Still not sure about checkboxes, I see this:

Could be a browser thing.

There are three options for each user, style-wise:

1) Default (which is on by, well, default). This means the site will try to detect whether you're using a mobile device or not and display one style or the other accordingly
2) Desktop (always use desktop)
3) Mobile (always use mobile)

These are editable on the Edit Options page (in the User CP).

You're set to Desktop, which means it always uses that no matter which device you're on. You can test this by logging out on your mobile device, and after you do you should suddenly see the Mobile style.

The Desktop style has a lot of mouse-based hover effects that touchscreens aren't very good at interpreting. When people "click" on a touch screen that screen will often just show them the hover effect first and not register a click. Hence the need to "click twice."

So, what you're likely seeing (and probably raul, but I can't tell for sure from the descriptions) is a finger press on a touch screen that's just registering as hovering over the thing. The Mobile style removes hover effects entirely to avoid that kind of thing.