The Man Who Would Be King Probably

Tools    

I might be going more crazy, but I remember the end of the man who would be king as Sean Connery tied to a raft in a river or maybe crucified going over a waterfall.

I watched the movie again recently, and saw the same waterfall, but (spoiler warning) he just walked out onto a bridge and then fell in an unseen canyon. Then later Michael Cain talks about being crucified, but then he got over it.

Does anyone else remember the alternate ending?

I don't think I am confusing it with the missionary movie... but I'm not sure.
Any ideas? Is it possible it was changed for religious reasons?

Yeah I remember watching the Mission about 5 to 10 years later and thinking they stole that scene. I have a pretty clear memory of Sean Connery bald and mutton chopped in a white kaftan going over the falls.

Connery does fall to his death in that movie, but it's from a rope bridge and in a dry environment. He is wearing white clothes, too.

According to the IMDb trivia page for The Mission, "The scene of a priest being tied to a cross and sent over a waterfall upside-down looks almost exactly like a scene from Episode 13 of Lupin III Part III which aired in October 1984. There are a couple of differences in circumstance: the priest's fall was deliberate while Lupin's was an accident, and while Lupin survives his fall, the priest does not. The visual similarity between the scenes was not deliberate."

Conceivably the scene in Lupin the Third Part III in turn may have been inspired by an earlier live-action production. If so, then that would be what you sort of remember.

According to the IMDb trivia page for The Mission, "The scene of a priest being tied to a cross and sent over a waterfall upside-down looks almost exactly like a scene from Episode 13 of Lupin III Part III which aired in October 1984. There are a couple of differences in circumstance: the priest's fall was deliberate while Lupin's was an accident, and while Lupin survives his fall, the priest does not. The visual similarity between the scenes was not deliberate."

Conceivably the scene in Lupin the Third Part III in turn may have been inspired by an earlier live-action production. If so, then that would be what you sort of remember.

So you're saying there might be a third movie I am conflating? Entirely possible. I think I was 7 or 8 when I saw it on TV.

I might be going more crazy, but I remember the end of the man who would be king as Sean Connery tied to a raft in a river or maybe crucified going over a waterfall.

Is it possible it was changed for religious reasons?
No, it is not possible. You are conflating different movies in your distant memory.

A while back we did a MoFo Podcast dedicated to John Huston's The Man Who Would Be King. You can find the link HERE.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra