Speed Racer

→ in
Tools    

I really don't get the hatred for this movie. It is exactly what it intended to be. It's cheesy, fun and beautifully done. On top of that, the racing sequences are a blast.

Thanks Mark and linespalsy, now I don't feel quite as lame.

Welcome to the human race...
It definitely felt like the Wachowskis were aware of how they had effectively changed cinematic language with The Matrix and their follow-up to that was to try changing it again but in the complete opposite direction. If the defining characteristics of The Matrix's visuals tend to be its emphasis on slow-motion and monochromatic filters that soak the screen in sickly green and harsh blue, then it makes sense that Speed Racer would attempt to reinvent high-speed action in a similarly stylised way (and combine it with such a rich colour palette to boot).

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I was harder on this movie than I should have been. Years later I appreciate it a lot more.

Still not great. But worth a revisit.

Suspect's Reviews

Agree in both regards. I don't think it's a particularly good movie, it's more of an experiment. I can appreciate that as far as it goes, but the end result is still something that's more an example of the things it's referencing than something really transcending or elevating them.

I knew there was a little more to it than met the eye during the big finale, where the sheer spectacle and symmetry of it kind of won me over in the moment the first time through. That caused me not to scoff too much when I heard people talk about it in glowing terms. With time and distance I think there's a lot of skill there and some interesting stuff, but still think it fails as a movie in the end. But a lotta nuance in all those opinions, for sure.