"Bad" movies you will defend with your life.

Tools    

The Flintstones. I know the movie has some casting problems. But John Goodman is practically a mirror image of Fred, and the vibe of the movie is a bit like the cartoon.

The Cat in the Hat. I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what people hate about the movie. Is it amazing cinema? No. But it's Seussian in its weirdness, which was all I really asked, and there were some pretty good gags. And we have Alec Baldwin being himself. You ALWAYS pay to see Alec Baldwin playing himself.

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. Come on. This is one of THE most quotable movies on Earth.

The Flintstones. I know the movie has some casting problems. But John Goodman is practically a mirror image of Fred, and the vibe of the movie is a bit like the cartoon.

The Cat in the Hat. I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what people hate about the movie. Is it amazing cinema? No. But it's Seussian in its weirdness, which was all I really asked, and there were some pretty good gags. And we have Alec Baldwin being himself. You ALWAYS pay to see Alec Baldwin playing himself.

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. Come on. This is one of THE most quotable movies on Earth.
Since you mentioned The Flintstones (1994), I'm wondering how you felt about the sequel / prequel Viva Rock Vegas (2000)? Some of the casting seemed worse, some better. Both movies were descent, but Rock Vegas seemed slightly better.

Better Living Through Movie Quotes
Define 'bad.' To me bad means poorly written, failed plot lines which make no sense. But there are other forms of bad,' for which I am forgiving. Continuity issues, cheap effects, bombing at the box office.etc.

"Blade Trinity" is the first movie I thought of. It has been playing a lot on cable this year and I can't turn away. Just to see Parker Posey (how did she end up in this?), trying to deliver preposterous lines around those over-sized vampire teeth is worth the time right there.

Is "Warlock" (1987) with Julian Sands bad? Love it.

"Attack of the 50ft Woman" (1950s) has some of the worst effects in cinema history, but I love it. Same for other 1950s atomic mutation movies where we get endless stock footage of the parade of army jeeps and artillery: "Them," "Tarantula" (no army stuff in this one, though), "Invaders From Mars (1950s). The imagery of the fence ending at the sand dune where folks disappear is unforgettable as is the tentacled leader in the glass sphere (more forgettable are the endless loops of velour clad alien dudes jogging around in tunnels).

(Edit to add that I forgot "The Crawling Eye" (or "The Trollenberg Terror") in the bad-effects 50s horror column. This movie has everything: bloodless zombies, be-headings, the scientist with the German accent, slimy aliens with tentacles, napalm and the yummy Janet Munro. Cheesy perfection.)

I've seen "Lake Placid" panned, but I love it.The sarcasm meter in that film goes to eleven. I don't think it is bad at all. Same for "Dante's Peak" and "Day After Tomorrow" I like them both.

Welcome to the human race...
Quite a few video game movies - Mortal Kombat (1995), Super Mario Bros., every Milla Jovovich Resident Evil (okay, maybe not so much Apocalypse).

Death Wish 3. It's brilliant.

Is "Warlock" (1987) with Julian Sands bad? Love it.

I've seen "Lake Placid" panned, but I love it.The sarcasm meter in that film goes to eleven. I don't think it is bad at all. Same for "Dante's Peak" and "Day After Tomorrow" I like them both.

"Bad" as in movies people tend to hate.

I just saw Warlock. It was OK. I liked the vibe, but it wasn't very scary. I've been meaning to get to Lake Placid.

I just saw Warlock. It was OK. I liked the vibe, but it wasn't very scary. I've been meaning to get to Lake Placid.
A lot of people hated Armageddon, (1998) but I think it's a fantastic, over-the-top flick.

Others in the vein that have received some razzing over the years (but which I like) are Con Air (1997) and Starship Troopers (1997).

P.S. I just realized these three all came out around the same time!

Other bad movies I would definitely defend to my dying breath, like Last House on Dead End Street and Gummo, have had critical evaluations over the last two decades. And so they are no longer considered 'bad'.

Clearly people have been listening to my faint internet screams all this time. This is encouraging for Night Train to Terror.

I was like one of 1,000 people who went to see Tim Burton's "Ed Wood" in the theater and thought it was brilliant. I loved "Mars Attacks" too.

Costner's "Waterworld" was a big let down when it came out because of the hype and budget, but I think it is an okay flick if you don't take it too seriously. [I'll edit to add that I think Dennis Hopper's over-the-top and comedic portrayal of the villain saves this film. You see him and it's like, okay, this is a romp, so just go ahead and enjoy the ride.]

Fair game (1995), i just like the premise, the stylish direction and the movie score

I was like one of 1,000 people who went to see Tim Burton's "Ed Wood" in the theater and thought it was brilliant. I loved "Mars Attacks" too..

Ed Wood is a legit great film. It not only understands the inherent beauty and all the other admirable qualities of low budget films, but is deeply entertaining, moving and funny. Burton has never again come close to its majesty (before or since...generally, not a fan of him).

But out of the rest of his filmography, I think Mars Attacks is one that is unfairly maligned. I wouldn't go out of my way to save it or anything, but I think it is a movie that knows how to have fun, and doesn't play around on that front. Why people grab at that one as an example of **** filmmaking is beyond me. Burton has so many other films one could choose for that purpose. Like....so many.

Thanks for the clarification. If the criterion is movies that I love that are generally reviled, then "Lake Placid" is my choice. Any movie that has Betty White cussing like a sailor is a win in my book.

I took "Warlock" as a successful comedy.