Your top three war movies of all time

Tools    

• No, or the Vain Glory of Command (1990)
• Bitter Victory (1957)
• Night and Fog (1956)
• Lost Land (2011)
• Dishonered (1931)
• The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
• The Thin Red Line (1998)
• The Big Parade (1925)
• Alexander Nevsky (1938)
• King and Country (1964)
• Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
• "Je vous salue, Sarajevo" (1993)
• The Sorrow and the Pity (1969)
• Pilgrimage (1933)
• A Time to Love and a Time to Die (1958)
• Hail the Conquering Hero (1944)
• Germany Year Zero (1948)
• Le Petit Soldat (1963)
• Foreign Correspondent (1940)
• American Sniper (2014)
• Deathdream / Dead of Night (1974)
• Homecoming (2005)
• The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)
• Ivan's Childhood (1962)
• Army of Shadows (1969)
• Flags of Our Fathers (2006)
• The Long Voyage Home (1940)
• Hangmen Also Die (1943)
• The Last Command (1928)
• "Shoulder Arms" (1918)
• Days of Glory (1944)
• Black Book (2006)
• Which Way to the Front? (1974)

"Bullsh-t. It looks to me like the best part of you ran down the crack of your mama's ass and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress. I think you've been cheated!"

Red Cliff
Defiance
Lore

I have so many I could post but I gave just three as asked.

I'll dive in with Saving Private Ryan, Das Boot and an off the mainstream choice, They Shall Not Grow Old.

The last one is special because of its uncanny origin, entirely taken from actual film footage in World War I, carefully restored and colorized. Peter Jackson did this one, also hired lip readers to see what was being said by the soldiers in the film, and then having speech and sound dubbed into the silent film. The result is haunting in a way that fictionalized films can never be because you knew that some of these teenaged guys trying to enjoy a brief dinner would not live out the week. My own grandfather was a kid-immigrant in the US army in that war, survived to be very old but had ZERO war stories....never said anything.

Last of the Mohicans
Kingdom of Heaven
Master and Commander

Really it depends on the War, those would be my favorites because they cover wars that Hollywood doesn't really focus on yet they have scope and are distinctive and memorable.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The Battle of Algiers
Platoon
Schindler's List

Civil War:

Gettysburg(1993) during the fight on little round top.
The Horse Soldiers(1959) when were destroying the railroad because it is quite realistic and happened quite often during the war.
The Red Badge of Courage(1951) in the final battle scene.

World War 1:

The Blue Max(1966) during the bombing attack on the front lines.
Sergeant York(1941)when York captures all of his prisoners.
(I don’t have a third, you can fill in this one)

World War 2:

Kelly’s Heroes(1970)when the group fights through to the back.
Tora!Tora!Tora! (1970) when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.
The Longest Day(1962) when the army lands on Omaha Beach.

While it is not my favorite war film by any means, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Men in War (1957), which, unless I’m mistaken, nobody’s brought up until now. Starring Robert Ryan, this Korean War-set film is so removed for so much of the actual fighting that it plays out almost like a post-apocalyptic episode of The Twilight Zone: one in which everybody talks about the war, where you can see the devastating effects that it’s having on the soldiers and hear evidence of it far off in the distance, but never actually experience for yourself (until the action-packed finale, of course). It is eery and unsettling and utterly unlike any other film of its type that I’ve seen.

Another one that I don’t believe that I’ve seen mentioned is The Wind that Shakes the Barley (2006). Its strengths simply come down to being so all-around excellently made, from the direction, to the writing, on down to the cast (which features a career-best turn by Cillian Murphy). It’s an impeccable bit of filmmaking.

If I had to give an actual top three, though, it would probably end up being:

1. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
2. Schindler’s List (1993)
3. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

1. Avatar
2. Avengers
3. Jurassic World

Di je Karlo?
Come and See (1985)
War and Peace (1966-69)
Kaya, I will kill you (1967)

Shame I haven't seen either Battle for Algiers or Lawrence of Arabia yet, I have a good hunch about those

i think he means army war movies
It reminds me of the time when my elderly grandmother, who is obsessed with Lincoln / the Civil War, told my dad that she really wanted to see “that new Civil War movie that everybody’s talking about,” which turned out to be the third Captain America movie.

🤣🤣🤣

Having never seen a Marvel movie before in her life (and probably not having the faintest idea what a “Marvel” was in the first place), we eventually talked her out of it.

It reminds me of the time when my elderly grandmother, who is obsessed with Lincoln / the Civil War, told my dad that she really wanted to see “that new Civil War movie that everybody’s talking about,” which turned out to be the third Captain America movie.

🤣🤣🤣

Having never seen a Marvel movie before in her life (and probably not having the faintest idea what a “Marvel” was in the first place), we eventually talked her out of it.
should of said "i didnt know ur an marvel fan and read the comic books?" she would be like "whats marvel?" lol

yes true but i know the comics came out in her years. oh true lol