Hannibal

Tools    

Ack! I was rushing to post this and you beat me to the punch! lol! So glad I could take bite out of somebody.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I assume there's more to it than we know right now. Or at least, I hope so, because otherwise, yeah, too far afield for me. But I'm pretty confident that part of what we're seeing is a trick to gain Hannibal's trust.
I'm pretty convinced that's what it is. Will has said some things that would suggest that is the case.

Awesome episode. Best one in awhile. Things are gonna get wild with these last two to air.

Has anyone got hungry watching this show? Ive eaten ice cream while watching Hannibal, but thats about it. Dont think he could screw that up. He puts blood in beer! In beer! They pay as much attention to Lecters cooking as the gore. His preperations, and the display of the dishes is jawdropping over the top everytime lol! Anyone eaten pigs feet while watching the show?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Chilton isn't dead. Check Brian Fuller's twitter.
This confuses me. We saw Chilton shot in the head right in the police station. No?

What I found interesting about killing off a character like Chilton was that it gave me an all-bets-are-off feeling. I had been assuming nothing would happen to Chilton because he's in the later story of The Silence of the Lambs.

This confuses me. We saw Chilton shot in the head right in the police station. No?

What I found interesting about killing off a character like Chilton was that it gave me an all-bets-are-off feeling. I had been assuming nothing would happen to Chilton because he's in the later story of The Silence of the Lambs.
Fuller has taken alot of incidents from the book, and is putting a new coat of paint on them. Another scene where Wil is dreaming talking to the dark antlered Lecter who is chained to a tree, the chain ready to be pulled by a reindeer. Thats from Hannibal Rising but tweaked considerably. Freddie on fire rolling down the parking lot ramp is tweaked too.

Chiltons been disemboweled on one occasion and shot in the back of the head now. If they do say he's still alive all he has to look forward to is ...

WARNING: "Chiltons fate" spoilers below
...getting eaten by Hannibal.

poor basterd

(sigh) So that scene may have been one of Will's strange altered states? Why did I not pick that up? (Perhaps because we haven't seen hide nor hair of Chilton since that episode!) I know the show is sometimes a little blurry on the lines between reality and mind games, but I remember that scene as clearly not a mind game... because I had that internal monologue about Chilton not dying until much later in the canon/story.

Wow, I may have to rewatch that episode and see then... but it's a bit disingenuous to have Chilton just fall off the character map ever since then. Where the heck is he, and how much of all that stuff was actually real? Is he just still in prison then? (sigh)

The way Fuller talked about it, it was more of a "hey, people sometimes survive getting shot in the head." I don't think the altered state thing would be the explanation. Nor should it be (too much of a cop out).

So far they've done a good job of keeping their twists relatively "fair."

Has anyone got hungry watching this show? Ive eaten ice cream while watching Hannibal, but thats about it. Dont think he could screw that up. He puts blood in beer! In beer! They pay as much attention to Lecters cooking as the gore. His preperations, and the display of the dishes is jawdropping over the top everytime lol! Anyone eaten pigs feet while watching the show?
I watch it Saturday mornings on Hulu. Im not eating at the time but I don't think I could. There have been a few episodes that make me cringe while watching.

Yeah the I believe it was the first episode of season 2
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
where the bodies were laid out in on the morgue tables and they were discussing which organ was removed from which body and as they went thru each one, Hannibal was cleaning and preparing it. That was a bit disgusting.

When he prepared Dr Gideons leg, and then would pour the sauce on in marinating it BLEAH!

When he prepared Dr Gideons leg, and then would pour the sauce on in marinating it BLEAH!
Didn't he roast it in clay to seal in the juices?

Oh I think youre right because they were making talk about it when unwrapping it. Must have been a different leg.

Must have been a different leg.
For some reason, this struck me as hilarious.

Now we're losing track of whose leg he was roasting and how he marinated it.

This show does make me want to stick to my pleb diet of hot dogs, cheese sandwiches, and Spaghetti-Os.

The way Fuller talked about it, it was more of a "hey, people sometimes survive getting shot in the head." I don't think the altered state thing would be the explanation. Nor should it be (too much of a cop out).

So far they've done a good job of keeping their twists relatively "fair."
Ehhh, I think the "people survive shots to the head" is a bit of a copout too. At least, the way they shot that scene. And, if you're going to shoot a character at close range in the head and then NEVER MENTION HIM AGAIN for many episodes, surely you realize viewers are going to assume he's dead... and RIGHTLY SO.

Because surely the characters we follow around each week (you know, the ones who weren't shot in the head) would have had a few conversations about the state of dear Dr. Chilton if he weren't dead. I know we're not privy to every conversation among all these people, but leaving out any mention of Chilton by any of them since that scene seems a bit of a cheap copout of its own.

And if anyone then says, "Well, of course he's not dead -- he's alive during Silence of the Lambs timeline," I'll call foul then too.

Harrumph.

My two cents.

Ehhh, I think the "people survive shots to the head" is a bit of a copout too. At least, the way they shot that scene. And, if you're going to shoot a character at close range in the head and then NEVER MENTION HIM AGAIN for many episodes, surely you realize viewers are going to assume he's dead... and RIGHTLY SO.

Because surely the characters we follow around each week (you know, the ones who weren't shot in the head) would have had a few conversations about the state of dear Dr. Chilton if he weren't dead. I know we're not privy to every conversation among all these people, but leaving out any mention of Chilton by any of them since that scene seems a bit of a cheap copout of its own.

And if anyone then says, "Well, of course he's not dead -- he's alive during Silence of the Lambs timeline," I'll call foul then too.

Harrumph.

My two cents.
Well, dont be too set in stone on this I say. Ive read the 3 Harris novels on Lecter, saw the films (except Rising, didnt read that one either), and am glad theyre going away from the original source material, and let me tell you why.

Thomas Harris had 3 great novels in him - Black Sunday, Red Dragon, and Silence Of The Lambs. Hannibal read like contrived crap. The studios thought so too, wanted to change the ending, and Jodie Foster walked.

Brian Fullers way of taking the 4 seperate Hannibal novels, and making them one long flow is incredibly more impressive than making everything fit for authenticity. For instance the ground work laid by Fuller in how Hannibal so deeply brainwashed/hypnotized FBI agent Miriam Lass is making the final of the Hannibal novel more authentic (wont tell in case you dont know). His tweakings are selling the story better than the original source. Imo.

Oh I think youre right because they were making talk about it when unwrapping it. Must have been a different leg.

No it was his leg... Hannibal cut it and braised it.. then wrapped it in some type of leaves then packed it in clay to roast it.

Well, dont be too set in stone on this I say. Ive read the 3 Harris novels on Lecter, saw the films (except Rising, didnt read that one either), and am glad theyre going away from the original source material, and let me tell you why.

Thomas Harris had 3 great novels in him - Black Sunday, Red Dragon, and Silence Of The Lambs. Hannibal read like contrived crap. The studios thought so too, wanted to change the ending, and Jodie Foster walked.

Brian Fullers way of taking the 4 seperate Hannibal novels, and making them one long flow is incredibly more impressive than making everything fit for authenticity. For instance the ground work laid by Fuller in how Hannibal so deeply brainwashed/hypnotized FBI agent Miriam Lass is making the final of the Hannibal novel more authentic (wont tell in case you dont know). His tweakings are selling the story better than the original source. Imo.
Oh, I'm not saying they shouldn't change the source material. I'm saying that, if Chilton turns up alive and the excuse is, "Of course he's alive because he's in Silence of the Lambs," I'm going to be miffed.

The scene where he's shot in the head looks pretty much like he wouldn't have survived it. Like nobody would have. But Yoda's saying Fuller's Twitterfeed indicates he's alive. I shouldn't have to find out about plot developments by following a show executive's Twitterfeed.

All indications from the show itself are that Chilton died in that police interrogation room. Whatever excuse they use to tell us he's still alive is going to feel like just that to me: an excuse. Maybe not to others... but to me it will.

Oh well. Enough said on that topic.

Let's get back to the braised leg. What spices do you think he used? I'm looking for good Crock Pot recipes....

Well, it wasn't a Twitter feed, and he didn't explicitly say he was alive--he was just really coy about it (he referenced Serpico, for example). I think he's leaving it as a possibility.

I don't love it, and I hope they don't play it that way, but I also wouldn't get too upset. I think at this point we've all decided to accept a heightened reality in watching the show.