How did McClane know what "Nord des lignes" is?

Tools    

How did mclane in Die hard 3 know from the aspirin bottle that nord de lignes is somewhere in canada, and why would the aspirin bottle mention that name anyway??

Even just recognizing it as French would go a long way, since you can surmise from that alone that it probably came from there given where he found it.

Even just recognizing it as French would go a long way, since you can surmise from that alone that it probably came from there given where he found it.
why would the aspirin bottle mention nord des lignes, or it s just suspension of disbelief?

Yeah Nord Des Lignes was the name of the actual truckstop just inside the Canadian side of the border crossing.
The bottle having the name printed on it just signifies that it was part of their stock.

I have a vague recollection that Simon actually says "north of the border" to McClane at some point during the movie, and McClane puts it off as just a whimsical part of the conversation... only later making the connection when he sees Nord Des Lignes printed on the bottle.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I assumed McClane got an idea that he could use the French line to trace the villain's next move possibly, and probably called other authorities to help and they would have figured it out, wouldn't they?

You ready? You look ready.
I just knew. That language requirement in school paid off. Gets me the French ladies, and I caught the bad guy.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I just knew. That language requirement in school paid off. Gets me the French ladies, and I caught the bad guy.
But do you know how to put exactly 3 gallons into a 4 gallon jug?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Only when I'm at risk of being blown up. Otherwise, my math is ****
is math canadian? or is it maths?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
the for-MER!!!
deh ble jp joogla bee chika don be wah...
jiggy woom-boom bow!!!

GAH. I hate that song.

o.O

BTW has anyone seen Die Hard 3 alternate ending? John shoots Simon with mini rocket launcher.

But do you know how to put exactly 3 gallons into a 4 gallon jug?
He needed exactly 4 gallons of water, easy done, fill the 5 gallon bottle full, pour it into the 3 gallon so you are left with 2 gallons in the 5 gallon bottle, pour away the 3 gallons in the 3 gallon bottle, pour in the 2 gallons from the 5 gallon bottle into the 3 gallon bottle, so you are left with one gallon of space in the 3 gallon bottle, fill up the 5 gallon bottle and pour one gallon of water into the 3 gallon bottle so you are left with exactly 4 gallons in the 5 gallon bottle xxx

But how did he know what Ligma was?

How did he know traffic would be bad that time of day and just to drive recklessly through central park?

A system of cells interlinked
He needed exactly 4 gallons of water, easy done, fill the 5 gallon bottle full, pour it into the 3 gallon so you are left with 2 gallons in the 5 gallon bottle, pour away the 3 gallons in the 3 gallon bottle, pour in the 2 gallons from the 5 gallon bottle into the 3 gallon bottle, so you are left with one gallon of space in the 3 gallon bottle, fill up the 5 gallon bottle and pour one gallon of water into the 3 gallon bottle so you are left with exactly 4 gallons in the 5 gallon bottle xxx
There is a second method, too...

Fill the 3 gallon bottle up, then empty it into the 5 gallon jug. Fill the 3 gallon up again and fill the 5 gallon up all the way, leaving 1 gallon in the 3 gallon jug. Empty the 5 gallon jug out completely. Pour the 1 gallon out of the 3 gallon jug into the 5 gallon jug. Fill the 3 gallon jug up all the way and pour it into the 5 gallon jug = 4 gallons.

The bottle thing is fun because I've been able to "solve" it like a dozen times, because after I'm done solving it the methods go out of my brain completely. I can remember it a year later and do it all over again. And yeah, like Seds, I usually try to "find" both methods.