Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

It doesn't surprise me that she was drinking during production on this film...this was during a very dark period in her life. She was broke and trying to hold onto custody of Joey and Lorna, whose father, Sid Luft, was trying to get full custody of them.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre -

Been meaning to watch this for a while, and I wasn't disappointed! Humphrey Bogart and Walter Huston were fun to watch in this.

I forgot the opening line.
Two movies I hadn't seen before blew my mind last night and today :

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6777777

Cabaret - (1972)

This was a long time coming. I saw All That Jazz last year, which I guess has a tangential connection. The story behind Cabaret is a long and complex one, so I'll try hard not to act like I know what I'm talking about with this. Hindsight though - how awful it is whenever Nazis, Communists and street fighting occur, for we all know where this will all lead. Even the large posters in the background hint at terrible trouble. Liza Minnelli can act far better than I thought she'd be able to, and although I don't generally like Michael York he was fine in this. Based on a musical, which in turn was based on a book called The Berlin Stories. A good mix of the music supporting and playing off the story, and vice versa. Excellent.

8/10

By Saul Bass - http://ilarge.listal.com/image/16061...try-poster.jpg, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=25518734

The Big Country - (1958)

The big movie! Classic Western has Gregory Peck as James McKay having his gentlemanly honour tested by two feuding families. McKay has come to the wide open West to marry the daughter of a cattle rancher, and soon finds that everyone wants to test his manliness. But McKay is the kind of guy who knows it's better to respect yourself rather than trying to prove to everyone you're "tough". I loved this film, even at it's sprawling length (it seems very appropriate - a simple story, about people, but also epic in it's way.) I see why William Wyler is such a celebrated filmmaker. The vistas of open plains seem even better in this film, and the music seems to make your heart beat just a bit louder. Whatever Charlton Heston's personal opinions were, I don't care - he was a great actor, and I'd like to just disagree with him and enjoy performances like he delivers in this film.

9/10

I'll just chalk this up to very subjective viewing experiences.

For me, everything that was supposed to be heartfelt not only telegraphed "THIS IS A HEARTFELT MOMENT!!", but was also pushed so over-the-top as to be a joke.

There was one moment that was decent on this front--the scene where they are voting about whether or not to stay in the house or leave--but even that was borderline dinged by the "comedy" of them arguing about the voting rules.

I'm not even letting myself think about how, by the film's logic, the wife dying was actually meant to be. It's portrayal of faith seems particularly demented to me.
It's totally subjective and I can totally understand your problems with it. I too cast a jaundiced eye at those moments my first time watching and yet I ended up really liking the overall experience. My choice for awkward moment is that weird recruiting officer talking about toes getting licked and whatnot. Now it's one of those go to films where I'll always end up watching it again whenever I run across it.

Ex Machina (2014, Alex Garland)

Like Annihilation, this was a mixed bag for me. Some aspects of it worked, others not so much. Beautiful visuals and special effects for sure but something was lacking in the plot, more so as the film progressed. At least in the beginning there's a thrilling mystery waiting to be unraveled and that keeps you intrigued - I just think the unraveling of that mystery could've been executed a bit better.
Good but slightly underwhelming.

Victim of The Night
Two movies I hadn't seen before blew my mind last night and today :

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6777777

Cabaret - (1972)

This was a long time coming. I saw All That Jazz last year, which I guess has a tangential connection. The story behind Cabaret is a long and complex one, so I'll try hard not to act like I know what I'm talking about with this. Hindsight though - how awful it is whenever Nazis, Communists and street fighting occur, for we all know where this will all lead. Even the large posters in the background hint at terrible trouble. Liza Minnelli can act far better than I thought she'd be able to, and although I don't generally like Michael York he was fine in this. Based on a musical, which in turn was based on a book called The Berlin Stories. A good mix of the music supporting and playing off the story, and vice versa. Excellent.

8/10
I love that so many people have been watching this movie and enjoying it.
Believe it or not, I used to watch it as a kid because it came on the early days of HBO pretty often and my parents just didn't filter what I watched hardly at all. But then I didn't see it for literally 40 years.
I was really pleased when I revisited it and I'm glad other people are enjoying it too.

Victim of The Night

Like Annihilation, this was a mixed bag for me. Some aspects of it worked, others not so much. Beautiful visuals and special effects for sure but something was lacking in the plot, more so as the film progressed. At least in the beginning there's a thrilling mystery waiting to be unraveled and that keeps you intrigued - I just think the unraveling of that mystery could've been executed a bit better.
Aw. That was my favorite movie of 2014.

I'll just chalk this up to very subjective viewing experiences.

For me, everything that was supposed to be heartfelt not only telegraphed "THIS IS A HEARTFELT MOMENT!!", but was also pushed so over-the-top as to be a joke.

There was one moment that was decent on this front--the scene where they are voting about whether or not to stay in the house or leave--but even that was borderline dinged by the "comedy" of them arguing about the voting rules.

I'm not even letting myself think about how, by the film's logic, the wife dying was actually meant to be. It's portrayal of faith seems particularly demented to me.

Yes!

Tell that to Job.

Whiplash -

Another one off of my long backlog! I really liked the fast paced editing, and J.K. Simmons' performance was great as well. I have a few small nitpicks here and there, but I can't deny that I enjoyed this quite a bit.

A BOY AND HIS DOG
(1975, Jones)
A film with the word "Dog" in its title
-- recommended by Keram --

Quilla: "Well, how come I can't hear him?"
Vic: "Uh, he said something one time. It's 'cause we had a feeling for each other or something."
Quilla: "What do you mean, like love?"
Vic: "I guess."

A Boy and His Dog follows Vic (Don Johnson), a teenager living in post-nuclear America along with his dog Blood (Tim McIntire), with whom he can communicate telepathically for reasons that are brushed over with the above quote. Vic and Blood spend their days scavenging the desert-like land for food and women to rape. Yep. Chalk that up on the "problematic" column, to put it mildly.

But the thing is that Vic has been raised alone in this wasteland, with no moral compass and no societal structure. So instead of taking it as a story of protagonists and antagonists, or characters that I should root for, or whose actions I could/should/would endorse, I took it as a story of just people inhabiting this savage world. To push it further, Blood's "persona" is 100% cynical and misanthropic. Kinda like a more raw Brian Griffin.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

I'd be curious to read what anybody thinks of this film.

I forgot the opening line.

By IMP Awards / 1984 Movie Poster Gallery / Birdy Poster (#1 of 2), Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16665442

Birdy - (1984)

Touching film about friendship and obsession with Nicolas Cage as girl-loving, well-adjusted Al Columbato and Matthew Modine as the quiet, introverted "Birdy". As his nickname implies, Birdy loves birds a great deal (and that's an understatement.) The two kids become close friends, despite their differences, but after serving in Vietnam Birdy withdraws entirely from other human beings, instead becoming a caged bird in his mind as Al tries desperately to draw him back out. His reminiscences with Birdy in his asylum room are what make up the bulk of the film. Despite being quite popular amongst my friends, the film was a big flop - but undeservedly so. Birdy is a worthwhile film - a bromance for the ages, adapted from a novel by William Wharton. The novel was apparently considered impossible to adapt into a film, but the inventiveness required to do just that makes for a great two hours.

7/10

[center]A BOY AND HIS DOG
(1975, Jones)
A film with the word "Dog" in its title

I'd be curious to read what anybody thinks of this film.
I have thoughts, but not particularly coherent ones at this time! I'd say that I quite enjoyed it, found it genuinely and charmingly weird, struggled a bit with the darkness of the humor, and was very glad I watched it but am not sure I'd ever watch it all the way through again.

I have thoughts, but not particularly coherent ones at this time! I'd say that I quite enjoyed it, found it genuinely and charmingly weird, struggled a bit with the darkness of the humor, and was very glad I watched it but am not sure I'd ever watch it all the way through again.
I'd say that's pretty much how I felt.

Yeah, I felt similarly about it; it was solid-ish on the whole, but Alex Garland seems to have a knack as a director for making movies with intriguing premises/concepts, but then failing to develop and go far enough with them, leaving certain ideas under-cooked, and Ex Machina wasn't an exception (although Annihilation did do for me as a sensory experience, at least).

Aw. That was my favorite movie of 2014.
I can definitely understand why. It has a lot going for it, especially the visuals.