The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Not into that foreign film stuff
"stuff"

I did like it though, but it was so Speed Racer.
Speed Racer is so much better... I loved watching it as a child.. didnt care much for Akira...

Akira was the only anime on my list. I think it is conceptually profound, as much as any of the reknowned sci-fi classics of cinema. But it is also difficult, as the key to the story isn't hammered into the audience and isn't even intelligible until the point where the film's visuals become overwhelming.

Maybe there could be a list for top anime someday if someone less lazy than myself cares to host it. For the time being, 'cause why not, I'll add my list for that:

1. Akira
2. Belladonna of Sadness
3. Angel's Egg
4. Princess Mononoke
5. Graves of the Fireflies

6. My Neighbor Totoro
7. Ghost in the Shell
8. Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer
9. Spirited Away
10. Perfect Blue
11. Porco Rosso
12. Paprika
13. Galaxy Express 999
14. Memories
15. Only Yesterday
16. Ninja Scroll
17. Castle in the Sky
18. Millenium Actress
19. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
20. Great Adventure of Horus, Prince of the Sun

One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest

and

I Am Legend

Maybe there could be a list for top anime someday if someone less lazy than myself cares to host it.
Why? By my count there were 21 anime films on the animation countdown and two more that missed the cut by 5 points or fewer, so I don't feel like they're underrepresented in our lists. There's definitely an argument to be made to redo the animation countdown down the line (I vote we do it in like 4 years), but I don't see much point in doing an anime specific one.

Maybe you can convince me?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Why? By my count there were 21 anime films on the animation countdown and two more that missed the cut by 5 points or fewer, so I don't feel like they're underrepresented in our lists. There's definitely an argument to be made to redo the animation countdown down the line (I vote we do it in like 4 years), but I don't see much point in doing an anime specific one.

Maybe you can convince me?
Oh yeah, I'd say in like 4 years it would be well worth a redo

My Summary:
Seen 9 out of 14 (10, if we include the HM). Nothing from my list has come up yet.

I'll reiterate my surprise at 10 films so far, out of 14, being new to the list, but only 2 of them being from this millennium.

My Summary (by the way does this font color really look navy? I don't think so)

Seen 12 out of 14
0 from my list has made the countdown

So far the movies on the countdown are all well chosen...I'm impressed, good job everyone!

Akira was introduced to me sometime in HS by a friend and I remember being blown away by obviously the animation. Aspects of the story obviously didn't make any sense to me then but It was one of those movies that I couldn't unsee. I went back a few years ago and grasped it a little more and was even more impressed with the amount of detail it must have taken to draw. It's part of a nice trio of '88 animation with Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbor Totoro.

Toy Story isn't my favorite pixar, but it isn't a sore thumb either.