The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Without checking them all, I think it's the highest. The #100 film from each of the decades lists recently:

90s: 42 points
80s: 49 points
70s: 64 points
60s: 59 points
50s: 46 points

Where are these decades list be hiding? Would have loved to have taken part.

TUS makes a good point about spread, though. Almost 1,000 movies is nuts. Without giving too much away, it basically guarantees the top films won't have the scores of some of the other lists. Just too many options.

As for the 80s...well, I have year and decade breakdowns ready. I don't want to give out specific numbers in advance since by the end of the countdown people should be able to use them to narrow things down a lot, but for now I'll just say that no decade has, by itself, more than a fifth of the list as a whole.

I hope the rest of the list is as strong as this. I considered The Seventh Seal and I really considered Brazil. I didn't respond to Suspiria like some others, but at least it's interesting.

Where are these decades list be hiding? Would have loved to have taken part.
You can find them all in the Lists area linked in the header/footer. They have associated threads, of course, those are just the results. You can find most of them by just sorting the Movie Reviews forum by reply count (or just tossing "80s AND list" into the search, generally.

Without checking them all, I think it's the highest. The #100 film from each of the decades lists recently:

90s: 42 points
80s: 49 points
70s: 64 points
60s: 59 points
50s: 46 points
Comics #100 only had 17 points

Movies need points to make it to the list?? I thought the most votes the movie gets, get put on the list
Yes, they need points. This is why the ballots had to be ranked. Everybody’s number one movie got 25 points, their number 2 got 24 points, and so on down to their number 25 getting 1 point.

Movies need points to make it to the list?? I thought the most votes the movie gets, get put on the list
Votes = points, but it's weighted.

If you have a film in FIRST, it gets 25 points. SECOND gets 24, THIRD gets 23...and so on, all the way down to #25, which you're giving one point. So votes matter, for sure, but each vote is worth more or less based on where you rank it.

That said, it really is just about getting on a lot of ballots, since we have the whole of movie history to draw from. Without giving away specifics, a film could have been the top film if it were on every ballot, even if it wasn't in the top half of any of them.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Brazil is still a blind spot for me. I will watch it one day.

Suspiria is beautiful to look at, but I wasn't engaged in the story. I kind of felt the same way about the remake.

Suspect's Reviews

Votes = points, but it's weighted...
I don't remember reading if you said that partial list had their points weighted or not? Or did the #1 movie on a partial list still receive the full 25 points?

I don't remember reading if you said that partial list had their points weighted or not? Or did the #1 movie on a partial list still receive the full 25 points?
I didn’t think we were allowing partial ballots for this one

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
That's probably true, I don't really remember. Yoda?

o.O
how could you forget Yoda?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I've only seen Brazil once, at the cinema when it came out, and I didn't like it. Normally I would say I was a kid and I need to see it again, but I'm generally not a fan of Terry Gilliam movies.

I've seen Suspiria a few times and I haven't liked it yet. Next time I'll do what I did that made me fall in love with Deep Red; turn out the lights, put my headphones on, and crank that shlt all the way up.

I liked The Seventh Seal much more than either of those, and it's still not one of my favorites from director Bergman.

Between the presentation and the participation from old and new members, this thread is going awesome.

I said yesterday the "first film you'd see" would involved Numbers and Animals. Well, there was a bit of a trick to that, because the "first film you'd see" is not #100, but in fact our lone Honorable Mention.

It gets Honorable Mention not just because it just missed the cut, but because it lost the #100 spot with the counting of the last ballot! It is:

The Seventh Seal

Ingmar Bergman, 1957

As mentioned very nice presentation, thanks for all the work to everyone.

__

Put this at #10 on my list.

Here is a review I did not too long ago:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...25#post1944025

Didn't specify in the original post either way on partial ballots, but we did end up accepting them. However, IIRC there were only a couple.
That is ridiculous. Unless they have seen fewer than twenty-five movies in their lives.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Didn't specify in the original post either way on partial ballots, but we did end up accepting them. However, IIRC there were only a couple.
People on a movie forum couldn't even come up with at least 25 movies that they love?

WTF.

I think in both cases it was people who forgot and were rushing to get in before the deadline who had trouble ranking beyond that, but I'm not sure.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
No votes from me so far. I have to agree with Minio about the last three films revealed - I like The Seventh Seal the best. It tackles some heady questions while also being a very dark comedy about them. It's deceptively complex and looks gorgeous. Here's a good place to put a short I love.
I like Brazil well enough and could say much the same as I did above.
My brother Todd and I saw Suspiria when it came out locally, and it was probably the loudest movie I'd ever heard, so the Goblin soundtrack was overpowering. It played in the U.S. originally cut though, so that muted our enjoyment because we would patiently wait through the set-up and then bang - no big pay-off. Still the blue/red lighting scheme was just as intense as the score and sound, and we just assumed the lack of logic was due to the added cuts, but it took us years to learn that the uncut version was just as irrational. Still we loved our first immersive theatrical experience with Argento. Todd bought the record and played it all the time, driving our dad crazy. We had seen a few of his older movies chopped up on commercial TV, but from then on we sought out uncut versions of everything he and his mentor Mario Bava did.
As far as Yoda's last hint, I'll guess LotR: TRotK in the next two and LotR: TFotR later in the week.