The Grudge

→ in
Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Hey guys, did a search and couldn't find a review for The Grudge, so here's mine.

Starring Sarah Michelle Gellar as Karen. Approx running time, 90 mins.

Based on the Japanese movie of the same title, and by the same director, The Grudge follows Karen, an exchange student volunteering for a care center in Tokyo, Japan.

During one of Karen's off days, she swings by the care center to find that she is needed to take care of a client for the day due to the fact that the regular care giver is nowhere to be found. After being given directions to the house, Karen arrives and shortly after setting foot in the house feels an odd presence there with her. The patient is found to be resting, she does the normal job, cleans her up, the proceeds to clean the house making her way to the second story. She enters a room and notices that a closet has been taped shut. She hears a cat and un-tapes the closet doors and opens it to find a little boy, and his cat.

The story continues and we find out that this house has been cursed by one of its former tenants, a woman killed in rage. This curse comes to anyone who enters the house and ultimately leads to their death.

My take on The Grudge. While I have not seen the Japanese version, the simple fact that this was done by the same director leads me to believe that both the American and Japanese version are fairly similar.

What took:
The film delivered its vengeance upon those who entered the house very quickly, and with a flashback for each death, we find out why what happened happened, and how it happened. At first, the opening scene leaves you wondering why, it is explained farther on in the movie. Sarah Michelle Gellar, not one of my favorites, but she her acting wasn't terrible.

What fizzled:
While the film is something that'll scare the sh*t out of you, it doesn't have much depth. We find out little about the cursed woman, and her family. A few of the other characters are left with not much of a history as well, these are both small in comparison to the rest of the film.

While it's not a masterpiece by any means, The Grudge will remain a great thriller for some time.

I saw close resemblance to The Ring, and Darkness Falls in The Grudge, you'll see what I mean once you see the movie.

I give it 3˝/5. Don't let this bother you though, it's worth seeing, and could quite possibly give you nightmares.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

A system of cells interlinked
Cool review. I just picked up "The Eye" and will probably check out Ju-on and then give this a go, as I like SMG.

Shameless self promotion
Saw this at the cinema last week, wasn't overly keen. Was pretty frightening though if that type of thing freaks you out. That guy who played SMG's boyfriend was awful though, I can only assume someone must've owed him a favour, pretty but sooooo dull.

Originally Posted by fi wilson
That guy who played SMG's boyfriend was awful though, I can only assume someone must've owed him a favour, pretty but sooooo dull.
While I couldn't say it exactly the way you said it fi, you pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Bor-ing.

Lets put a smile on that block
This film SERIOUSLY scared little poo particles out of my bum. Truly spooky.

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
This film SERIOUSLY scared little poo particles out of my bum. Truly spooky.
Poo particles huh? Next time, I suggest wiping better.

Rent it. It's not that great. It's like a rip-off of the ring in my opinion. Because the japanese craze right now in cinema. It's spooky at some points, but other than that, it's like euh. If that makes sense...probably not...haha

And this is my BOOMstick!
I just saw it, after forcing and failing to finish its just-as-horrible japanese predecessor, and this movie is complete and utter crap. I don't think there was a single good thing about it.

I agree, I think it's really bad. From what I remember, there were characters that just appeared out of nowhere and got killed. Like that woman who crawled into bed...

This movie was scary because of the environment, that I admit. Everything else didn't make any sense, and such a boring plot, makes it really hard to recommend.

Movie Forums Member
you should all watch the original 1st.

Ju-On the grudge was much more superior.
I can write a review about it eventually.

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
I agree, I think it's really bad. From what I remember, there were characters that just appeared out of nowhere and got killed. Like that woman who crawled into bed...
it was executed better in Ju-On the grudge.

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by Marie
Rent it. It's not that great. It's like a rip-off of the ring in my opinion. Because the japanese craze right now in cinema. It's spooky at some points, but other than that, it's like euh. If that makes sense...probably not...haha
Because Takashi Shimizu worked together in the making of the ring. and worked with hideo nakata.

Ju-On the grudge was much more original.

The prequel of Ju-On which is Ju-on2 the curse was implemented in the grudge.

the original Ju-On didn't have a story at all.

I love 35mm ^_^
I hated it, it didn't scare me. I had these yippie girls behind me screaming at every moment. Having seen many horror films now, I know when things happen. The music picks up...that mysterious phone call. And lets go play in the creepy looking area. *sigh* Are there any horror movies that will give me some shock? Please?

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by FilmStudent2004
I hated it, it didn't scare me. I had these yippie girls behind me screaming at every moment. Having seen many horror films now, I know when things happen. The music picks up...that mysterious phone call. And lets go play in the creepy looking area. *sigh* Are there any horror movies that will give me some shock? Please?
want shock value?

Takashi Miike movies Ichi the killer, or audition , or visitor Q

I love 35mm ^_^
Thanks. ^_^

Is Birds anygood. I hear Hitchcock's films are scarier because of the mind games, they get to you. I should actually check that out.

Can we confirm on a sequel to The Grudge? I heard rumours..

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
That chick belonged to the family who moved in there. Anyone who enters the house, will have the curse brought on them. Even though she never lived there, she still entered the house near the beginning of the movie.

Originally Posted by jrs
My favorite part in the movie was Ted Raimi's (Sam Raimi's brother) reaction to the creature in the movie. That just cracked me up!!!
You mean when his wife was on the bed?