THE SILVER SCREEN

Tools    

A new one in your absence. It was called SOLDIERS OF THE CROSS (1901). Where was it made and what is its significance?
The plot outlined the story of the early Christian martyrs with a compendium of horrors guaranteed to jolt audiences into an awareness of terrible suffering for the sake of Christianity. ...
No idea? I never heard of it. Though I think a guy named Herbert Boo had something to do with it

A new one in your absence. It was called SOLDIERS OF THE CROSS (1901). Where was it made and what is its significance?
The plot outlined the story of the early Christian martyrs with a compendium of horrors guaranteed to jolt audiences into an awareness of terrible suffering for the sake of Christianity. ...
Israel, near Jerusalem, where Jesus was crucified?
(just a guess based on the subject matter)

Israel, near Jerusalem, where Jesus was crucified?
(just a guess based on the subject matter)
Thank you CS for supporting this thread. No it was not made on location but in a small studio in Melbourne, Australia. As it was a pioneering work it was famous. Why? hint: It is the first ever ********

Thank you CS for supporting this thread. No it was not made on location but in a small studio in Melbourne, Australia. As it was a pioneering work it was famous. Why? hint: It is the first ever ********
First ever talking film in Australia? Hey don't I support this thread too?

First ever talking film in Australia? Hey don't I support this thread too?
You betcha Orson.. many thanks mate.

Close. World first multi-media production. CS have a turn as Orson can not post pics.

Inspired by the last entry:

What film is it? What year? And what was unusual about some of the scenes in it? (Extra credit for Director. Hint: he's a famous one!)

Was the director Cecil B DeMille? that looks like it could be Jesus in the centre of the shot. If it is DeMille then is it the silent epic King of Kings. No idea what the unusual aspect of the film was.

Was the director Cecil B DeMille? that looks like it could be Jesus in the centre of the shot. If it is DeMille then is it the silent epic King of Kings. No idea what the unusual aspect of the film was.
Yes and yes! The original King of Kings 1927 - the unusual aspect is that the scenes after Jesus' resurrection suddenly turn from black & white to color (more than a decade before we were blown away by Dorothy's b&w to color arrival in Munchkin Land)!

Yes and yes! The original King of Kings 1927 - the unusual aspect is that the scenes after Jesus' resurrection suddenly turn from black & white to color (more than a decade before we were blown away by Dorothy's b&w to color arrival in Munchkin Land)!
Really.. more fascinating revelations. Chances are that was the first ever color film.

Are we doing two mystery photos at a time? If so here's both of my guesses.

Name film, its lead and why it is famous.
It's Al Jolson (without the toupee), warming up for his famous scene in The Jazz Singer. It's famous for being the first commercial talkie movie release, though most of the movie was still a silent film.

The infamous rape scene from Last Tango in Paris, a movie that bored me so, that I turned it off way before we got to that scene.

Are we doing two mystery photos at a time? If so here's both of my guesses.It's Al Jolson (without the toupee), warming up for his famous scene in The Jazz Singer. It's famous for being the first commercial talkie movie release, though most of the movie was still a silent film.

The infamous rape scene from Last Tango in Paris, a movie that bored me so, that I turned it off way before we got to that scene.
Great stuff Orson. Agree about last Tango. Yours friend.

Somehow missed it. Never watch movies that old so wouldn’t have known it anyway.
I want people here to deduct as these are famous cinematic fotos. I notioned you would have known what was the the first ever Hollywood "talkie".