Bette Davis Quiz

Tools    

Bette faced black listing when she made a protest film about book banning that was actually a statement on the McCarthy communist hearings. Those hearings lead to people in Hollywood being black listed.

Other actresses turned down the role, as they were afraid to play the character, but not Bette! What was that movie called?

Bette faced black listing when she made a protest film about book banning that was actually a statement on the McCarthy communist hearings. Those hearings lead to people in Hollywood being black listed.

Other actresses turned down the role, as they were afraid to play the character, but not Bette! What was that movie called?
Burnt Offerings. Just kidding I have not seen this one either.

For your information Orson.
"Joan got her revenge in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane by putting weights in her pockets when Davis had to drag her across the floor during certain scenes." (an excerpt from Bette Davis biography)

I've never seen Burnt Offerings. Maybe this would be a good month to watch it.
Bette only made a handful of films around the time of McCarthyism.. All About Eve, Payment On Demand, Phone Call From A stranger and one with Gary Merrill in the UK. The one I will have a punt on is The Star (1952) tho I have to say I do not recall any book banning themes in it.

Bette only made a handful of films around the time of McCarthyism.. All About Eve, Payment On Demand, Phone Call From A stranger and one with Gary Merrill in the UK. The one I will have a punt on is The Star (1952) tho I have to say I do not recall any book banning themes in it.
It's this one Storm Center (1956)

You got me. You know I have never seen this. Will download now and watch. I have some trivia for you.

A Bette quote. To whom is she referring and in what 1960s film.
"I cant tell you what I went thru during those weeks that filming stopped..waiting for her to get well. It was sheer torture".

You got me. You know I have never seen this. Will download now and watch. I have some trivia for you.

A Bette quote. To whom is she referring and in what 1960s film.
"I cant tell you what I went thru during those weeks that filming stopped..waiting for her to get well. It was sheer torture".
Gee, I don't know.

I've never seen Burnt Offerings. Maybe this would be a good month to watch it.
How about you watch Burnt Offerings and I watch Storm Centre and we can discuss both at later date.

How about you watch Burnt Offerings and I watch Storm Centre and we can discuss both at later date.
I'll think about it, thanks for asking

Right now, I have a lot of films that I have to watch for different MoFo activities. So my movie plate is pretty full. For the longest time I've been meaning to watch all of Bette's movies from the 1st to the last. I even managed to get all of her films, except for four of them that I couldn't find. I just have to find the time to watch them all

If it's Crawford, it would have to be Whatever Happened to Baby Jane correct?
That must be correct. Speaking of Joan Crawford I seen her last night in a kick-butt horror film Straight-Jacket (1964) directed by one of the horror greats William Castle. Anyone familiar with his movies?

god, i love bette davis so much.
I see you have Jezebel in your Top 10, I love that film! Lots of great films in your Top 10, BTW.

If it's Crawford, it would have to be Whatever Happened to Baby Jane correct?
Not correct. Jumped gun Giddy. Have another think. Hint the shoot was held up because she got sick..not sure what..probably nerves having to work with Bette again.

That must be correct. Speaking of Joan Crawford I seen her last night in a kick-butt horror film Straight-Jacket (1964) directed by one of the horror greats William Castle. Anyone familiar with his movies?[quote]
I saw that a while back. A touch trippy. I too have made a point of watching all the Davis movies I never did before. Now I am retired I can find the time to do just that.

Not correct. Jumped gun Giddy. Have another think. Hint the shoot was held up because she got sick..not sure what..probably nerves having to work with Bette again.
Well, since you used the word again, Olivia de Havilland comes to mind.