Creep
35.48%
11 votes
Not a Creep
6.45%
2 votes
Who can say?
31 votes. You may not vote on this poll

There are no lawyers and judges. It's just a smear campaign.
Who would be the ''winner (for a lack of a better word)'' of this smear

I do think he's a bit of a creep. Maybe not a monstrous predator but a bit of a creep at least. He's a great artist, still.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Of course Woody Allen is a creep. He cheated on his long-time girlfriend with her adopted daughter. If that was not loathsome enough, he did this when he was 56 and she was 19. I think this is a pretty obvious question. Regardless of his status as a film icon, there's no question that his actions are that of a morally depraved individual.

Whether he is a child molester or not is what is really at issue here though, so I think that even if you concede that he is an incredibly morally flawed human being, it doesn't necessarily follow that he is a child molester. An older man being attracted to someone who is 19 is very different than being attracted to someone who is 7. Based on the evidence, I would have to say that it weighs in Allen's favor. As Allen stated in his piece, there was a comprehensive investigation, and the conclusion of that investigation was that there was not enough evidence to prosecute Allen, and the conclusions of the outside independent experts who conducted countless interviews with all the parties were that Dylan hadn't been molested by Woody Allen. In addition to that, Woody Allen took a lie detector test, and passed, while Mia Farrow refused to do so. Although lie detectors are not infallible, and a skilled person can fool them (which is why they are not admissible in court), someone as neurotic as Allen is would be unlikely to pull off this type of misdirection successfully.

What gives me pause is that Dylan is absolutely convinced that she was molested by Woody Allen. She speaks in vivid detail of what happened, and how, and that has to be given weight. I would hate to contribute to future victims being cowed into silence because they are afraid that they will not be believed, and will not be able to get justice for the crimes that have been committed against them. Despite my uneasiness in rendering this judgment, I just don't believe that the evidence is compelling enough to brand Woody Allen as a child molester. I know that many would like to brand him one because they find his personal behavior repulsive, but thankfully, our justice system works by the evaluation of impartial bodies who evaluate all of the evidence before rendering a decision. That careful weighing of evidence before a judge or jury in a court of law was not done in this case so it's impossible for any of us to know where the truth lies here, but we don't consign people to a lifetime of scorn based on innuendo and speculation. We do so based on the rule of law. Even though I am incredibly disturbed by these allegations, and have a very low opinion of Allen's moral character in this context, I can't allow that to bias my evaluation of the allegations being made here. The evidence just isn't there in this case to brand Woody Allen a child molester.

Now where in the hell were all these teachers when I was in High School?
Sleazy. And not in a good way
i agree with earlsmoviepicks . i would have loved to lose my virginity to someone like her .

Let the night air cool you off
Who would be the ''winner (for a lack of a better word)'' of this smear
Is there ever a winner of a smear campaign? No. Woody will look bad. Mia wouldn't be happy with it. She will probably make herself look bad in the process. She will hold a vendetta until she dies. If he dies before she does, expect even more stuff from her because he won't be alive to deny it.

I find the following to be a very useful, clarifying question when talking about the bad behavior of artists, and how it effects the way we view their work:

Is there anything an artist could do--anything at all--that would cause you to boycott their work, or at least view it differently? If not, then the discussion is over. If yes, then the question becomes about what that thing is, and why certain behaviors may not rise to that level.

Of course Woody Allen is a creep. He cheated on his long-time girlfriend with her adopted daughter. If that was not loathsome enough, he did this when he was 56 and she was 19. I think this is a pretty obvious question. Regardless of his status as a film icon, there's no question that his actions are that of a morally depraved individual.
I don't think cheating on your girlfriend makes you a creep, at least in this context. Soon-Yi's age isn't an issue because she was a consenting adult. I don't think this is as "loathsome" as you do. Especially because he is still with Soon-Yi and they appear to be happy. Is he morally depraved because he wanted to live a happier life with what appears to be a better partner for him?

Whether he is a child molester or not is what is really at issue here though, so I think that even if you concede that he is an incredibly morally flawed human being, it doesn't necessarily follow that he is a child molester. An older man being attracted to someone who is 19 is very different than being attracted to someone who is 7. Based on the evidence, I would have to say that it weighs in Allen's favor. As Allen stated in his piece, there was a comprehensive investigation, and the conclusion of that investigation was that there was not enough evidence to prosecute Allen, and the conclusions of the outside independent experts who conducted countless interviews with all the parties were that Dylan hadn't been molested by Woody Allen. In addition to that, Woody Allen took a lie detector test, and passed, while Mia Farrow refused to do so. Although lie detectors are not infallible, and a skilled person can fool them (which is why they are not admissible in court), someone as neurotic as Allen is would be unlikely to pull off this type of misdirection successfully.
I am with you for most of this paragraph until the last sentence which I completely disagree with. Wouldn't being neurotic make it harder for him to pass a lie detector test?

What gives me pause is that Dylan is absolutely convinced that she was molested by Woody Allen. She speaks in vivid detail of what happened, and how, and that has to be given weight. I would hate to contribute to future victims being cowed into silence because they are afraid that they will not be believed, and will not be able to get justice for the crimes that have been committed against them. Despite my uneasiness in rendering this judgment, I just don't believe that the evidence is compelling enough to brand Woody Allen as a child molester. I know that many would like to brand him one because they find his personal behavior repulsive, but thankfully, our justice system works by the evaluation of impartial bodies who evaluate all of the evidence before rendering a decision. That careful weighing of evidence before a judge or jury in a court of law was not done in this case so it's impossible for any of us to know where the truth lies here, but we don't consign people to a lifetime of scorn based on innuendo and speculation. We do so based on the rule of law. Even though I am incredibly disturbed by these allegations, and have a very low opinion of Allen's moral character in this context, I can't allow that to bias my evaluation of the allegations being made here. The evidence just isn't there in this case to brand Woody Allen a child molester.
There are three possibilities to explain why Dylan Farrow seems to be so convinced she was molested by Woody Allen: 1) She was actually molested. 2) She doesn't think she was, but she wants you to think she was 3) Her mother really convinced her she was.

I appreciate that even while you think he is a "creep" you gave in to reason and decided to follow the "Innocent until proven guilty" train of thought.

i don't think i believe that he's a child molester, but the best things you can say about woody allen's personal life still make him sound creepy. marrying your girlfriend's adopted daughter with such a huge age gap is really creepy. i don't hate his work for it, but i've never particularly loved his work before.

regardless, that article does emphasize how out of touch allen is. i think he actually expected this to completely clear his name, which isn't how the world works. maybe i only feel this way because, as much as i liked it, blue jasmine felt like the work of a guy who hasn't talked to a real person in years. how can someone be a cashier in a supermarket, and yet live in a very nice apartment in san francisco?

I've heard his testimonies and I've heard that accusers' testimonies and I've gotta say, he doesn't seem like the type. However, appearances can be deceiving and everyone has a side to the story; therefore, I can not form a strong opinion at present. I say let the law do what it does and if he's found guilty, he's found guilty. If he's found innocent, great! It's not my place to judge this individual without there being definitive proof. I will merely judge his works and what he has stated about himself in interviews and whatnot. If something comes to light that has definitive weight, I will form a stronger opinion. As for now, I'm neutral.

I don't see any reason to adopt the criminal justice system's standards for forming individual opinions. The reason we require such a high burden of proof in court is because that's what we use to deny people freedom. Denying them your personal approval is not so serious an offense, so there's no reason for it to be subject to the same standard.

Even civil cases work on a mere preponderance of the evidence, so I think that's a totally reasonable standard to use in situations like this. To simply ask ourselves which is more likely.

I don't see any reason to adopt the criminal justice system's standards for forming individual opinions. The reason we require such a high burden of proof in court is because that's what we use to deny people freedom. Denying them your personal approval is not so serious an offense, so there's no reason for it to be subject to the same standard.

Even civil cases work on a mere preponderance of the evidence, so I think that's a totally reasonable standard to use in situations like this. To simply ask ourselves which is more likely.
This is all true, but I think that standard is a pretty good one and I try to follow it most of the time.

The problem with sexual assault cases is that unless there is DNA evidence, a video tape, or a ***** ton of credible eye witnesses; a sexual assault case basically turns into a he said she said case. As such they are notoriously difficult to prosecute under these kinds of conditions, and made even harder given the high profile nature of the case and the fact that it is getting played out in the media.

One side says Dylan was molested, Woody says she was coached. Ronan Farrow says Dylan was, another step child close to Woody says she wasn't. One side says a Yale-New Haven Hospital Child Sex Abuse Clinic assessment says she was not molested and cited by Allen's attorneys. The other side will counter that those results were rejected by the prosecutors because the doctor who testified about the results never examined Dylan etc. Each side has counter points to each other's arguments and they have been at it for 20 years plus since these allegations first were raised.

Will we ever know the truth 100%? I doubt it. The truth is only known by God know and I do not have a direct line to him. Down side of being a sinner. Also, I have never met Woody Allen, so I can't say much of anything about him as a person firsthand. But that being said, I would not allow any daughter of mine at any age to be around Woody Allen. I may not know the whole truth 100%, but dammit all to hell if I won't play the safe odds when it comes to my kids.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, Sarah's 22 now (not that I would try to stop her), and Woody is one of her idols at this very moment. I'm not going to say anything [really] bad about any MoFo, whether they're members or not, but plenty could be said against almost every celebrity and the people on our avatars, and some people love to do it. My question is why? What do you know that's new and that we should all apparently know? Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone (and all the others too). In lots of ways, modern media sucks.

I am not casting the first stone. (If this is directed to me). In this situation I wouldn't even know where to cast the stone if I did.

What I tried to point out was given how this story has played out in the media, the time between the allegations, and the nature of sex crimes cases similar to this (IE no DNA evidence) it is impossible to know the 100% truth.

As for my feelings on Allen. I have nothing new. I felt I should share how I personally felt about the guy. As was the point of the thread especially since I voted in it. I did try to say (though it seems not very well) that I can only go on what I know. And given what I typed, what I know is full of more holes then the theatrical cut of Prometheus. I just felt the need to be up front with how I feel about him and not remain anonymous via the poll.

But either way I do not feel comfortable with the idea of my kids around him. Granted I would not feel comfortable with my kids around most people I do not know, but Allen a bit more so then others.

Celebrities are are human. That much is true. And we as humans are flawed. And our society's current need to know everything about everyone with a little bit of fame is most certainly toxic.