What is your favorite Zom-Com?

Tools    

People, people! Let's not fight amongst each other! Focus on the zombies! The zombies!
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Well, I'm only recently getting into the zombie genre, and I haven't seen that many movies before the 1990s. If somebody could recommend me some, I would very much appreciate it. Otherwise, what you see is what you get with me around.
See every zombie movie mentioned in this thread. They're all great.

Except for WT's picks. No clue, that one.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I love the Evil Dead films they are some of my favorite horror films

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
People, people! Let's not fight amongst each other! Focus on the zombies! The zombies!

When people fight amongst themselves thats when the Zombies will get you!

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
See every zombie movie mentioned in this thread. They're all great.

Except for WT's picks. No clue, that one.
You have not seen Versus, it is a great zombie/crazy martial arts/craziness.

Idle hands is one I would consider to be a Zom-Com.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Just for a little more Japanese craziness.

Rika: The Zombie Hunter - not technically a comedy but its hard to take seriously.

Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad - again not technically a comedy but a hot girl in a bikini slaying zombies.

I dunno. I like the Return of the Living Dead films (the first three), Shaun of the Dead... Evil Dead is a series that I actually had trouble getting into. Not really a big fan there. Wish I was since everyone else loves it. Dead/Alive was good. Zombieland I watched drunk, so I don't remember it. Redneck Zombies was horrible. Fido I saw once, don't remember it well. I think I thought it was slow.

I don't really care for zombie comedies. I think zombies are better when they're taken seriously. I think the best zombie film is the first Return of the Living Dead, which I think is really scary and disturbing. No other film is that dark, except maybe Night of the Living Dead. The rest of the George A. Romero films kinda suck, though. They walk slow and seem like nuisances. In Return of the Living Dead, the zombies seem more like a fast spreading virus on humanity -- very grim and sick. The Dawn of the Dead remake was good.

Return of the Living Dead wasn't nearly as serious as Night of the Living Dead. It was a dark comedy with some gore and scares.

Yes, Night of the Living Dead was more serious, but even though Return 1 was a dark comedy, I take it very seriously. I think it's the most horrifying zombie film I have ever seen. I think those zombies are BRUTAL, disgusting, diseased, sickening, scary as hell. When Thom Mathews (Freddy) turns into a zombie, he's something else -- foaming at the mouth, chasing his girlfriend (who barricades herself in an attic with an embalmer), then perversely calls out to her from below, telling her how much he can smell her brain and wants it. It might be funny to most people, but I dunno, I saw it when I was a kid and I didn't get the comedy then so I can still see it as scary as hell. It starts off with a canister leak causing the dead to come back to life (enter a triumphant, apocalyptic, doomsday music score) and ends with the army bombing the city to get rid of the zombies -- which apparently does nothing but make things WORSE -- fade to black.

It's a movie world I would hate to live in. Out of all of the zombie universes out there -- granted, I haven't seen every zombie film ever made, not even all of the popular ones -- I wouldn't want to be in that one the most.

Would you?

Also, the third Return film was where the series really started going downhill.
I think part II was worse. I liked part II when I was younger, but I haven't seen it in forever. That movie had more of a silly feel to it than the first one, but it was still kind of sick and disturbing in ways. The third one was depressing because it had the whole tragic love story thing going on -- guy gets into a motorcycle accident or something, his girlfriend dies... so he takes her to the maximum security lab that his dad works at where he gases her with the zombie gas that brings the dead back to life... girlfriend comes back to life... as a zombie... turns into this:

She is one of the most unforgettable zombies ever to people, as well. Many find her incredibly sexy. I think it's a great movie. I watched it again a couple of years ago and loved it. It's very sad. She stays quite human-like even though she's a zombie and the results are a girl that basically treats her brain addiction like a fat woman to cookies. Quite a nice lady, but give her cookies. She ends up taken back to the lab and is caged like an animal, which is heartbreaking to see when her boyfriend finds her. It's a very bleak film, much like the first one. Another very unhappy ending -- part II, unfortunately, went the other way and had a happy ending.

Well, I will agree with you that the zombies in Return are an infinitely worse threat than those in other zombie films - they're fast, cunning, and almost unstoppable. You can't even put 'em down with the old reliable rule of destroying the brain. I'd rather deal with Romero's dead any day.

I watched those movies when I was kid too, though I think I may have seen Return 2 before Return. Of course, you're right that those films are much scarier for youngsters. I remember being startled when they ambushed the paramedics and police.

Return 2 was more fun for me. It was scary but it had a stronger comic book style than the first one, and I related with the boy protagonist. I still think it's one of the best zombie movies out there.

As for Return 3, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I thought it was lame. The love story was tedious, the acting poor, and the overall quality was subpar. But it's been a long time since I saw it, so maybe I'll give it a second chance soon.

Return II was, I thought, funnier than the first one. The zombie getting distracted from trying to eat a brain by a female aerobics instructor on TV... Thom Mathews (turning into a zombie again) telling his new girlfriend that her brain smells "spicy"... the zombie (carrying a brain in a jar, if I remember correctly) being asked, over an intercom system, who the current president is (to test if he's alive or a zombie) and answering "Harry Truman."

Yeah, Return 2 was definitely a more lighthearted movie, though still quite gruesome. It seemed like it was intended to capture the feel of those old E.C. Tales from the Crypt stories. I think the boy was even reading one of those comics at one point.

The movie also poked fun at the first Return, as you mentioned; Those two actors returning as grave robbers was a nice running gag. The zombie who tells them to "come to the hospital" was a reference to the zombie using the radio to call more paramedics.

I'm rewatching parts of Part II on Youtube right now. It's making me feel old and scared -- been so long since I've seen it, the next time I watch it I might be old and ready to turn into a zombie myself. *shudders* Why I don't like zombie movies. They remind me more than any film that I'm gonna die.

Yeah, we had this discussion before. Zombies hit a nerve with me, even in the funny ones. I'm fascinated and repulsed at the same time.