The Three Stooges

Tools    

Semper Fooey
Moe poking a girl in the eye????

That is how you update the Three Stooges, physical abuse against women?

I'm not old, you're just 12.

In the original films, Moe had poked women in the eyes a few times, so that's not a new thing.

I actually laughed at the trailer, which I don't understand why people are so up in arms about. It's dumb, sure, but the Three Stooges WERE dumb. Go watch the old films again. They're poorly made, underfunded, and aiming directly at the lowest common denominator. And I loved them in all their crass, cheapo, dumbsh*t glory. So I just don't see why this trailer is so awful, it really does capture the spirit of the characters fairly well.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Semper Fooey
I don't recall Moe ever poking a woman in the eye. Certainly not in a scene like that, like it was a joke.

As for the movies being poorly made and underfunded, it depends what period you are looking at. The thirties movies have a lot of exteriors and extras and look decently budgeted for comedy shorts. Del Lord and Charlie Chase are good comedy directors and their movies are well paced. Jules White is a little more heavy handed, but his dependence on violent slapstick didn't go overboard until the forties. In the forties budgets were a little less, but the shorts didn't get real cheap-jack until sometime after 1945, particularly when Shemp replaced Curly.

1930s Three Stooges shorts actually have better budgets than Laurel and Hardy sound shorts, which have much smaller casts. You don't need huge budgets to make good slapstick shorts, just expert performers, and directors who know how to stage it.

As for the trailer, you can't really tell much from a trailer as you would expect they would include the best parts. But some of it does not look right and rather strange, but we are missing context so who knows for sure.

I was always a Three Stooges fan. The trailer made me laugh and I look forward to this.

Sometimes mindless comedies can be fun.

While I have been strongly opposed to this project, I must begrudging admit I laughed at the trailer. And Snooki getting the eyepoke - I can't think of many people more deserving.

And, while I cannot remember Moe giving any other girl the eyepoke off the top of my head, I do remember the all-out brawl between the Stooges and a bunch of women in Brideless Groom where Moe says to Larry (who has a small weapon), "You wouldn't hit a lady with that, would you? Here. Use this. It's bigger." (He hands Larry a much larger weapon.)

Sudoku Blackbelt

If I were going to make a stand against abuse, why limit it to just 'against women'?

The person being abused is getting hurt, male or female.

Besides, being a lifetime Stooges fan, I can say with a great deal of certainty that whenever any of the Stooges went up against a woman, the Stooge usually had his a** handed to him.

And finally, I'm not so sure this Snooki person is a woman.

When did the Stooges do topical jokes? They weren't Bob Hope.

No, they weren't Bob Hope. They were the Three Stooges. And no, they didn't do topical jokes. They did entire topical shorts.

I just read back through this thread. I'm not in the habit of taking people to task for their thoughts. I'm a firm believer that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But, other than your negative reaction to this project (which is cool, not everyone likes the same things) I can't pin down exactly what your opinion is, or what you expect.

They want three well known actors in the parts (a mistake)

At least the original idea was going to have name actors in the roles and maybe that would have been interesting to see.

From an all star cast playing the Stooges we now have...who are these guys???

It would make more sense to go with lesser known actors, but this is not a movie I plan to see.

With that cast nobody is going to care.

can't be as bad has the black hooney mooners or bewtiched movie . i never realy got into the three stoog ilike the hooney mooners and i love lucy. i think they nailedthem perfect epscially moe he looks just like him my favoirte part iswere they have the phone this is a eye phone he put it up to his eye and says any one their sorry i didn't see anything. i thoguth that was fuunny.

It is all in fun.

Like this classic comedy scene from Airplane.

Semper Fooey
There is a subtle difference in the Airplane movie. It is slapping, which is considered more acceptable than eye poking and both men and women are doing it.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
The trailer did make me laugh, but a cameo by Snooki (even though she does get eyepoked...) is right up there with a cameo by Ron Jeremy; just brings everything down a level...

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Loved the trailer. Cannot wait to see the movie.