The Expendables (2010)

Tools    

People Need To Re-Read **** Twice on Here
Wow.. this movie was very good. I have been looking forward to this movie for over a year and it did not disappoint me. Yes the story is not the best. But that's OK because you don't need a 'very' good story line as long as the movie is entertaining as hell.
it has to have a good story line to be entertaining. lol
the action in the movie was so-so

"There's No F***ing Ice Cream In Your F***ing Future"

just watched this movie.. its good
just didnt go long enough so all the characters didnt get enough lines
it was all sylvestar and statham.. no one else really.
that automatic shotgun was brutal... 5 and half men joke was good, and the governator appearance was gold, especially the gunning for president line.

good to see all the action back on big screen after a long time.
This one talks about purely on action and nothing else.
Glad that Sly made it !

The Expendables has safely crossed the $100m barrier at the US box office, and now that the film has given Sylvester Stallone his biggest hit in a long, long time, the focus remains on the already-planned sequel.Really a good achievement by this movie.

Here, There and Everywhere
I saw this movie the other day and to be honest, with all the rave reviews recently, I was expecting a little more. I know that it couldn't have the most in depth story of all time, but their reason for doing the mission was so weak it was just hard to take any of it seriously. Three quarters of the big name actors in the ensemble cast didn't have more than five minutes of screen time/dialogue which was disappointing, it's like their names were just added to draw in casual movie fans. The sheer number of superstar actors gave me high expectations which sadly weren't met.

The action scenes consisted of gun fire, explosions and fist fights, which I admit were quite good and nothing short of what you would expect in a big budget action movie of 2010. But they couldn't possibly out-weigh the fact that the story and dialogue was so pitiful, which really took away from the overall quality of the film. In my opinion of course.

I'd give it 6/10 at best.

I don't know but Sly is 5' 10", so with combat boots that probably adds on maybe a couple more inches..depending on how thick they are.
He isn't 5' 10'' lol...

Here he is next to Dolph Lundgren, who was 6' 5'' back in the day but now claims 6' 3'':

no ways is Sly 5ft 10
the dude is short. ripped for sure, but short. 5ft 7 max.
Spot on.

rented this last night, thought it was a great movie, at least for what it is, action. I didn't expect to get much from the story, just wanted to see stuff blow up and good fighting.

Here's my official review:

Alright, I'm not supposed to tell you this. In fact, I could get in VERY deep trouble, but I'm gonna reveal a secret. Last year the Man Council met at a top-secret location and one of the items on the agenda dealt with movies. You see, all of us men on the Man Council agreed that we wanted the ultimate man movie. One that was made just for us, one that had all of OUR favorite action stars, one dripping with testosterone, and out came The Expendables.

The Expendables stars every action movie star you could care to watch (except JCVD and Steven Seagal, but you can't have your cake and eat it too), Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Mickey Rourke, Bruce Willis, and Ahnold. There is also up and comer Terry Crews, Steve Austin, and Randy Couture (who did surprisingly well). One disappointment was that there is only one scene with Willis and Ahnold (and a nice crack about his politics), but maybe we'll get more in the future. Now, the story is not unlike countless other action movies. A group of for-hire bad mammajammas who go about bringing death and destruction in cool ways after being hired to assassinate a leader of a small country involved in drugs. How could this possibly go wrong, right?

Unfortunately it did go wrong, sometimes very wrong. Perhaps this was in part due to being written and directed by Stallone himself, perhaps because it was just too much to hope for, but this movie definately fell a little short from the great idea conceived at the Man Council. The pacing of the movie was very off, starting off great with some heart-racing action sequences, then the movie leaves you feeling it drag on in the middle with a bunch of silly, confusing, unnecessary subplots going on, often times being left to a short conversation and not really being explained. Then speeding back up like a flying bullet with some more great, explosive action to finish up the film.

Now you wouldn't necessarily expect a great plot or amazing dialogue from a movie like this so it may not be completely fair to judge it on these factors, but with dialogue like "How are you here?", "I just am", it's kind of hard to overlook. The biggest problem with the movie has to be Jet Li's character. It's not his fault, but probably more credit goes to Stallone who made him into being a wuss. Here you have one of the greatest movie martial artists of all time and he's a wuss?!? What were they thinking? Also, some horrible CGI they threw in at the end (don't want to give it away, you will notice it) didn't help the cause. Neither did Mickey Rourke's character, it's never really clear why he's even in the movie.

All that being said, the action is incredible and it is well worth watching if only to see all of these greats sharing the screen together. Terry Crews is one of my new favorites and a special gun he uses is incredible to say the least. So, ladies, get together with your friends and watch the latest craptackular Jennifer Aniston rom com and men, get your buddies together for a night of action acting greats, poor storylines, and even better explosions. This one is definitely for the men, by the men and although it's a renter, not a buyer, it's worth a viewing.

I give this a 7 out of 10.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Here's my official review...
Let me stop you right there. Scroll up and look at the forum you're in. Does it say Movie Reviews? No.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg