What to do?

Tools    

I am in the market for a new laptob. My price range is $800.00 to $1000.00. I use my computer mainly for The Internet. I am currently using a Dell Latitude C840 Pentium 4(which I am happy with but time to upgrade) with Windows XP Home Edition. Please help? What should I buy? Please only post replies if you know a lot about computers for I do not. Links and pictures please.

I don't know a ton about computers, but my past few computers (including the laptop I'm on now) have been HP's, and they've seemed to work pretty well for me. And I know some of them are less than 1000 dollars, because I got mine for 850.

I just finished helping my girlfriend replace her laptop. The cost will depend on what you need, but I was surprised at how affordable laptops have become over the last couple of years. You can get a surprisingly solid laptop that can handle most common tasks for the $500-600 range if you go the HP/Compaq route.

After looking around quite a bit recently, the above price seems to get you a 2.0GhZ dual core processor, 2-3 GB of RAM, and a hard drive of anywhere from 120 to 200 GB. With these more affordable laptops you usually have to put up with a lesser graphics card.

My lady friend, by the by, ended up going with a refurbished HP pavilion. If you're willing to go with one of those, you can get a lot more. She got a 200+GB hard drive, 4GB of RAM and a 2.1GhZ dual core for under $600.

If you really like Dell, though, and can afford up to $1,000 anyway, you might as just go their site and build your own custom machine.

Anyway, that's about as helpful as I can be without specifics on what you use the laptop for, what kind of specs you have now, etc.

HP! HP! HP!

Keep a brother in a job!

Seriously, I love HP and not just because I work here.

Also, I only buy from the HP outlet because I'm intimately familiar with what those PCs are (and aren't) and I don't think you can get a better deal.

Right now there a lot of great laptops on the outlet site.

I got my sister to buy a Sony Vaio FW series with the 16.4" screen, and I'm super happy with it...mainly because it's super pretty... They're around 800 dollars for the basic model.