Sophie Scholl: The Final Days (Marc Rothemund, 2005) -

Gaslight (George Cukor, 1944) -

The Guns of Navarone (J. Lee Thompson, 1961) -

Walkabout (Nicolas Roeg, 1971) -

D.O.A. (Rudolph Maté, 1950) -

Kiss Me Deadly (Robert Aldrich, 1955) -

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
For Y'ur Height Only [For Your Height Only] (1981) -

This is one of these so bad it's good kind of movies that although pretty entertaining, fall flat when compared to masterpieces like The Room, Starcrash, or Miami Connection. The typical Bond spoof isn't anything new and it's been practiced for years prior to the release of this Filipino gem of crappiness. The only novelty is that this version of Agent 007 (called Agent 00 in this, ekhm, version) stars a midget who, even though short in height, kicks everybody's ass, uses trademark gadgets and makes all ladies crazy about him just like his taller friend Bond. I still found it more entertaining than it had any right to be, but it's nowhere near the greats of the worst.

Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam [The Man Who Saves the World] (1982) -

ALMOST a metaphysical experience. Turkish Star Wars has a plot more complicated than I would have ever imagined. Even though I'm an expert when it comes to mind-boggling, I don't think I understood everything properly! The montage makes Eisenstein look like a kid playing with stock photos! The Indiana Jones theme taken from John Williams' score for Spielberg's quadrilogy is used and overplayed to hell here, which probably is just a powerful statement on the way audience perceives mainstream movies and identifies them with catchy musical leitmotifs. The only two things this needed to be a total masterpiece were radioactive dildos and puking nuns.

চারুলতা [Charulata] (1964) -

I decided to watch more movies from India and South America this year as these regions are still greatly unexplored by me. This is such a wonderful film. It's based on a book written by an Indian writer, but one cannot help but feel it's very European, probably courtesy of Satyajit Ray, whose films always seemed westernized despite the plots taking place in India. The story may not be the most original one, but it avoids cliches and easy ways out, providing a very interesting look at an unusual romance. Visually, as always with Ray, it is a top notch achievement of cinematography with the famous swing scene being the foremost example of director's genius. If that's not enough for you, watch it for an incredible ending composed of a few still photos that will without a doubt leave you speechless.

Aita [Father] (2010) -

Very minimalist slow cinema from the country of Basque. Pretty neat, but needs more found footage screened on the walls of dilapidated villa. The attempts at comedy (?) were quite adorable given how slow and contemplative the movie was. Still not quite close to Goodbye, Dragon Inn, but if you're into slow cinema, it will be a very rewarding watch nevertheless.

Arrival (2016) -

Best Villeneuve! It started so unimaginatively standard that I feared it will be yet another boring film of its kind, but it gets interesting and original very quickly! Sure, all the linguistics may be one big bull, but after all it's been used just to present an idea, or prove a point (just like the kangaroo parable from the movie). This is one of these sci-fi flicks that will try to make you question your way of thinking, that is, not ethically, or on any given subject, but the very way you think, or use your brain. The idea of language as well as thinking presented in this film is abstract and that's what makes it so appealing. After all "The limits of my language mean the limits of my world". On the Nature of Daylight never ceases to amaze me how well it goes with almost every scene.

Prisoners (2013) -

Very solid! Villeneuve managed to suck off everything he could from this rather mediocre screenplay. I love Deakins. This film's cinematography reminded me some of his work in Skyfall, namely the use of nicely saturated blues and oranges (that highway sequence towards the end of the film!!!). I like how Gyllenhaal's character appears to be very calm at the beginning of the film, but the more he gets entangled in the case, the more jumpy he becomes. The moral side of the film is pretty simplistic, not to say trivial, but still satisfactory.

Ex Machina (2015) -

This rehashes a lot of your usual do-androids-have-feelings fuss and spices it up with vulgarity almost unseen in this kind of films before. Also, it's very predictable. The disco scene rocks!

Девушка с коробкой [The Girl With the Hat Box] (1927) -

Boris Barnet makes a comedy! Rather a standard Soviet comedy of its kind and times, but the scene, in which the camera loses and gains focus on the girl's and man's faces one after another is simply spellbinding for some reason. Obviously, not even close to his best efforts made later, but still a pleasurable watch.

Hell or High Water (2016) -

Uncompromising post-Coens neo-western. I'm not too crazy about this kind of films, but this was pretty good. Don't know what more can I say.

Rear Window (1954) -
- REWATCH

First watched in 2011!!! I like to watch people watching people while simultaneously watching these people as well. One of the greatest kisses in history of cinema! I wish the ending was more ambiguous, questioning viewer's voyeurism, though.

疱瘡譚 [A Tale of Smallpox] (1975) -

ローラ [Rolla] (1974) -

+
other Terayama shorts

Terayama always nails it. A Tale of Smallpox is such a beautiful mess of a film. In Rolla he takes his ideas used in theater and incorporates them in cinema. The fourth wall is broken. The audience is ridiculed by the actors (and then an audience member (?) violated by three ladies!!!).

Tajemství hradu v Karpatech [The Mysterious Castle in the Carpathians] (1981) -

Batsh*t crazy! Zeman's take on Verne doesn't even come close to this as long as f*cked-upness goes! I wish this film had more heart just like Zeman's films have, though. Still, this has a mad scientist, opera maniac Count, opera singer main character, a bearded villain with a set of pistols underneath the beard and more.

Le diable au corps (1947) -

Gérard Philipe is great in this doomed romance film based on a controversial autobiographical book. The dissolves are crazy, the cinematography sharp and the characters madly in love.

Topos (1985) -

It's a masterpiece. I don't know what the hell is going on in this film, but it's a masterpiece. Believe me. The use of sound is the best I've heard in months. The characters seem to be but tableaux vivants in the vast spaces of time.

Nárcisz és Psyché [Narcissus and Psyche] (1980) -

Udo Kier is my hero, but the movie is pretty long and not all of its duration time is outstanding. Gábor Bódy uses many (often experimental) techniques to get his point through, but I think I prefered The Dog's Night Song a little bit more.

Passion (1982) -

One of my least favourite Godards! The cast is outstanding (Hanna Schygulla, Isabelle Huppert, Michel Piccoli, Jerzy Radziwiłowicz) and the reincarnations of paintings beautiful, but the idea that movies don't need story to be good is obvious (you shouldn't do it the way Godard does it here, though).

Седьмая пуля [The Seventh Bullet] (1972) -

Ostern right from the dusty mountains of Uzbekistan! Enjoyable as hell.

BONUS: The ABC of Sex Education for Trainables (1975) -

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Im glad you loved Charulata. Its an underexposed gem of Indian cinema. One of my all time fav. As you wrote the ending is absolutely stunning.

Here is my ranking of the Satayit Ray film i have seen so far:

1: The World of Apu (1959)
2. Charulata (1964)
3, Pather Panchali (1955)
4. The Music Room (1958)
5. Aparajito (1956)
6. Mahanagar (1963)
7. Sonar Kella (1974)

I have been so lucky to see them on 35 mm when they did a screening of his films here in Copenhagen. Ray is greatly underappreciated ór underexposed in this forum imo.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I have "Charulata" -- I remember trying once, and the quality wasn't great, picked another movie, and forgot about this. Thanks! I will watch it soon.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Rough Riding (No Director Listed, 1954)

Imbabazi aka The Pardon (Joel Karekezi, 2013)

The Valley Below (Kyle Thomas, 2014)

Sing (Christophe Lourdelet & Garth Jennings, 2016)

Koala Buster (Matthew McConaughey) needs help from his sheep friend Eddie (John C. Reilly) and Eddie’s family to earn some big money in a singing completion he’s trying to stage.
The Puffy Chair (Duplass Bros., 2006)

Gator (Burt Reynolds, 1976)

Lucky 7 (Harry Winer, 2003)
+
Foreign Land (Walter Salles & Daniela Thomas, 1995)

Two Brazilians play out a traditional film noir plot in Portugal involving actor Fernando Alves Pinto who’s grieving the loss of his mother and smuggler femme fatale Fernanda Torres.
How Stella Got Her Groove Back (Kevin Rodney Sullivan, 1998)
+
The Long, Long Trailer (Vincente Minnelli, 1953)

Rouge, le portrait mensonger de Bertrand Bonello (Antoine Barraud, 2015)

Contact High (Michael Glawogger, 2009)

Self-described sausage savant Raymund Wallisch and his stoner friend Michael Ostrowski arrive to pick up a much-desired bag of who-knows-what, with hotel clerk Anna Frances Dioso looking on. Later, everybody ends up stoned out of their minds.
Bless the Child (Chuck Russell, 2000)

Fatima (Philippe Faucon, 2015)

The Beach of Nazaré (Van Campen Heilner, 1956)

The Fortune Cookie (Billy Wilder, 1966)

When football TV cameraman Jack Lemmon gets run into on the sidelines by Cleveland Browns running back Ron Rich, his shyster lawyer (and brother-in-law) Walter Matthau has him feign whiplash and paralysis to win a big payout from the team’s insurance company.
All the Cities of the North (Dane Komljen, 2017)

Travels of an Ant aka An Ant’s Adventure (E. Nazarov, 1983)
+
Dynamite Brothers (Al Adamson, 1974)

Get Out (Jordon Peete, 2017)
+

When black photographer Daniel Kaluuya travels with his white girlfriend (Allison Williams) to meet her family, things quickly turn rather strange, especially concerning other African Americans he encounters at their estate

I feel bad because I liked Get Out but I do feel like people really overrated it, and am not sure where the immense love is coming from.

The TVA friend is hilarious and weird and almost everything that happens is weird. It may be less outright scary than just WTF but I can see the main character being awfully unsettled throughout.
WARNING: "homage" spoilers below
The Being John Malkovich-type stuff was great.

Care for some gopher?
Jour de fête (Jacques Tati, 1949) -

Spirit - Stallion of the Cimarron (Kelly Asbury/Lorna Cook) -

Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome (John Rawlins, 1947) -
+

Lion:

Much better than I expected. The first half is really great. I love the emotion of the story. Loses a little once Patel enters the picture but still quite powerful. Great cinematography and score as well.

The Case For Christ:

One of my obligatory 2 or 3 Christian films for the year. Gotta check in to see if they are learning anything. I think they are. This is probably my highest rated of the genre. The spirit of the era is captured really well and the story is better than normal. Still pretty terribly written. I want to think they will learn nuance but unfortunately the crowd they are going for may not allow it. Going to have to return to Scorsese films for my faith fix.

The Lady Vanishes

Going to try and watch a bunch of Hitch this year that I haven't seen yet. This was a good start. As usual the set-up is fantastic. Really puts you in the mind of the characters. A little too screwball at times and I didn't love the finale.

Manglehorn

Been on my watchlist for ages, I just knew it would come to Netflix. Three years later I was correct. Something about David Gordon Green films that I feel like I should love them, but I don't, not one of them. This one felt vapid, but maybe that is too easy a criticism when you aren't connecting to a little indie like this. I don't know, but I it's an easy watch and it has Pacino.

Wiener-Dog

My first Solondz. This guy isn't a pessimist. He would tell you the glass is completely empty if you were pouring a full glass on his head. That being said there is a lot of truth in his film even if I wish there was more nuance to his characters. I did enjoy this quite a bit though. Solondz is a good writer and I love his use of color. Definitely need to check out his other stuff. Mofos that know my taste, what would you recommend next?

Tower

Not entirely sure how I feel about the concept but I can't deny the emotional punch, especially in the second half. I was wishing to learn more about the shooter but after watching I kind of like that they concentrated on the victims. I can look elsewhere to learn about the shooter I am sure. The constant gunfire was a good choice, there is a lot of tension throughout.

The Prestige

Haven't seen this since it's first DVD release. Better than I remember but still not among my few favorite Nolan films. I love the storytelling and like the Bale twist. Still not in love with the Jackman twist though, doesn't fit in with the rest of the story to me.

He's Raiden. God of lightning and Protector of the realm of Earth.
Oh, great.

Mortal Kombat (1995)

Oh don't you dare do this to protect me, Johnny Cage.
Trust me, I got a plan.
Oh I can't believe this, you are the most egotistical, self-deluded person I have ever met!
Yea? Well, you forgot good-looking

Better than like every movie

Rating:
8.0 / 10

At last, one of them has understood

Cadillac Man (Roger Donaldson, 1990)

The Idea of a Lake (Milagros Mumenthaler, 2017)

House of D (David Duchovny, 2005)

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (Guy Hamilton, 1985)
-

NYPD cop Fred Ward fakes his death and is trained by a Master of Sinanju (Joel Grey) to become a pro-Constitution assassin.
Elizabeth: The Golden Age (Shekhar Kapur, 2007)
+
From Liverpool to Stratford (James A. FitzPatrick, 1949)
+
The Great Man (José Ferrer, 1956)
+
Hannibal (Ridley Scott, 2001)
+

Dr. Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) is just as skilled with a sauté pan as he is with a scalpel.
Glimpses of Australia (James A. FitzPatrick, 1939)

Love Is Colder Than Death (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1969)

Grandma’s Boy (Fred Newmeyer, 1922)

Dr. Jack (Fred Newmeyer, 1922)

Young Dr. Harold Lloyd imagines a fairy tale castle whenever he sees the pretty young patient (Mildred Davis) he’s been chosen to cure.
Yentl (Barbra Streisand, 1983)
+
Doom (Andrzej Bartkowiak, 2005)

The One That Got Away (Roy Baker, 1957)
-
Orange County (Jake Kasdan, 2002)

Stoner Jack Black drives his brother Colin Hanks from Orange County to Palo Alto to try to solve the latter’s problems with getting accepted into Stanford.
Carmen Comes Home (Keisuke Kinoshito, 1951)

They Won’t Forget (Mervyn LeRoy, 1937)

In the Aleutians (Chuck Jones, 1945)

The People vs. George Lucas (Alexandre O. Philippe, 2011)

Star Wars fans discuss their love/hate for George Lucas and show many of their fan-made movies which they say are better than his own non-stop tinkering wih the original trilogy.

[Definitely need to check out his other stuff. Mofos that know my taste, what would you recommend next?
This isn't a rec based on your taste or my knowledge of Solondz, it's a rec of the only Solondz i've seen haha but try Welcome To The Dollhouse maybe. Dunno you might hate it, apparently Dawn is in Wiener-Dog. Probably Happiness if not, that seems to be his most acclaimed, and probably his most polarizing too from what i've heard.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Stupid question of the day - what's the difference between movie tab and rate the last movie?

The former is just "I saw this," the latter always has ratings (and usually scattered thoughts). That's how they were created, at least: over time they've come to overlap more.

Fantasia

Conceptually wonderous, albeit long-winded at times.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

These older entries are pretty rough around the edges but they're just way more inventive than the later ones.

Beltracchi: The Art of Forgery

Interesting doc about some dude who forges paintings that no has ever seen before.

Chicago

Has some genius moments like the puppet sequence, but it's too often rooted in Loony Tunes territory to make you care about the characters.

Beauty and the Beast

Way more enjoyable than Disney's remakes of Cinderella and Jungle Book, which could probably be attributed to the fact that the animated version is one of their best flicks.

The Founder

A clever little spin on the old Citizen Kane formula with a surprisingly strong cast.

The Handmaiden

All the twisted stuff Park Chan-wook is known for transplanted into a different time period. If you like weirdo asian movies, you've probably already seen this.

Betting on Zero

Documentary about the world's largest operating pyramid scheme Herbalife. It's an interesting subject, although tackled in a kind of clumsy way.

Fantasia 2000

A leaner, more diverse sequel arriving only 60 years after the original. The use of computer imagery dramatically opens up the scope of the animation, but can feel a little primitive in spots. Although the animation is much more consistent overall than it's predecessor.

The perfect Fantasia for me would be a mix of sequences from both films and maybe we could cut some of these cameos.

Welcome to the human race...
Hard Eight (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1996) -

The Last Laugh (F.W. Murnau, 1924) -

Dark Victory (Edmund Goulding, 1939) -

Marty (Delbert Mann, 1955) -

The Lego Batman Movie (Chris McKay, 2017) -

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (James Gunn, 2017) -

Tenebrae (Dario Argento, 1982) -

Sightseers (Ben Wheatley, 2012) -

Looper (Rian Johnson, 2012) -

Paint Your Wagon (Joshua Logan, 1969) -

Care for some gopher?
The Ox-Bow Incident (William A. Wellman, 1943) -

Saboteur (Alfred Hitchcock, 1942) -

Dick Tracy's Dilemma (John Rawlins, 1947) -

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Au pan coupé [Wall Engravings] (1968) -

A forgotten French New Wave gem. A simple story, but the execution is exquisite. So is cinematography, both in black'n'white and colour.

Si j'avais quatre dromadaires [If I Had Four Dromedaries] (1966) -

Aside from dubious political allegory at the end, this is a top notch Marker. "The photo is the hunt. It’s the instinct of hunting without the desire to kill. It’s the hunt of angels… you track, you aim, you fire and--click! Instead of a dead man, you make him eternal."

Gli orrori del castello di Norimberga [Baron Blood] (1972) -

Great sets, cinematography and sexy Elke Sommer.

La ragazza che sapeva troppo [The Girl Who Knew Too Much] (1963) -

The opening 15 minutes could be the best thing Bava ever directed. Then the movie goes oniric grotesque mode and it's just as good! Quite Hitchcockian, but I can't remember any Hitchcock film that starts so strongly (contrary to what he's said).

Francesca (2015) -

Unlike Cattet & Forzani's cinematic giallo fever dreams, this one is a legit film of the genre, only made in 2015! Not everything works the way it should, but I don't care. It's still a pretty good film!

Edvard Munch (1974) -

Trademark Watkins docudrama style with insane editing and a complicated view not only on Munch and his art, but also his surroundings and times he'd lived in.

Gothic (1986) -

Russell is such a beast! I've seen three of his films and I've rated all of them
!!! This is the best horror film I've seen since The Witch. The atmosphere is incredible and it's pretty f*cked up, too. My kind of movie.

Mr. Whitney Had a Notion (Gerald Mayer, 1949)
+
Dead Man’s Burden (Jared Moshé, 2013)

Moonlight Mile (Brad Silberling, 2002)
-
Our Little Sister (Hirozaku Kore-eda, 2015)

Four sisters (Haruka Ayase, Suzu Hirose, Koudo & Yoshino Kaho) celebrate the onset of summer and their shared love.
Bullet in the Head (Jaime Rosales, 2008)

Curious Contests (No Director Listed, 1950)

Flesh (John Ford, 1932)

All About Eve (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1950)

While his wife Celeste Holm watches, Broadway star Margo Channing (Bette Davis) asks playwright Hugh Marlowe to write her a play she can relate to.
Tea for Two (David Butler, 1950)
+
Solitary Fragments (Jaime Rosales, 2007)

Midnight Mary (William Wellman, 1933)

Songcatcher (Maggie Greenwald, 2001)
-

In the early 20th-century, musicologist Janet McTeer transports her recording device and manuals to backwoods Appalachia to record British folk songs which have been passed down through generations there.
The Dream and the Silence (Jaime Rosales, 2012)
+
Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment (Jerry Paris, 1985)

Silver Streak (Arthur Hiller, 1976)

Why Him? (John Hamburg, 2016)
+

A rare quiet moment during Christmastime between uptight Michigan printer Bryan Cranston and the free-spirited Silicon Valley millionaire (James Franco) who’s his daughter’s boyfriend.
Just What I Needed (David Barclay, 1955)

The Trouble with Harry (Alfred Hitchcock, 1955)

The Day of the Jackal (Fred Zinnemann, 1973)
+
Ulysses’ Gaze (Theodoros Angelopoulos, 1995)

En route to wartorn Sarajevo, Greek filmmaker Harvey Keitel is mesmerized by a huge statue of Lenin which is taken apart and transported by a barge.