Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
So would that be your film of the year Mark, at least for the moment? As far as I'm aware that's the highest rating you've given out for a 2015 film
Probably so, though I have a few problems with it - by the numbers plotting and pretty weak villains. My 2nd would be Mad Max: Fury Road.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice - This movie makes me sad. I love Superman as a character, and it's clear that Zack Snyder either doesn't, or just doesn't have a clue why he's endured for 75 years. All the optimism and humanity that's part of Superman's character is absent here, replaced with "darkness" and cynicism. Ben Affleck is fine as Batman, but even he's played totally out of character, often toting a gun and letting his anger override his ability for rational thought. And do not even ask about Jesse Eisenberg's ridiculous Lex Luthor. Just don't... The film doesn't get good til the last 45 minutes (?) and that's unbearable for a damn near 3 hour film. Token good things: 1. Wonder Woman is awesome, and hopefully her movie is much better than this. 2. Early on, you nearly see a topless Amy Adams. 3. It's over and I never have to watch it again.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Batman Forever (Joel Schumacher, 1995)

The Big Country (William Wyler, 1958)
+
Help Me, Eros (Lee Kang-sheng, 2008)

Hail, Caesar! (Coen Bros., 2016)
+

Tap-dancing Channing Tatum finishes up a big Hollywood production number, but he still has a few things to hide.
Tall Story (Joshua Logan, 1960)
+
The Young in Heart (Richard Wallace, 1938)

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 (Steve Pink, 2015)
+
Phaedra (Jules Dassin, 1962)

Shipbuilder Raf Vallone sends his bride Phaedra (Melina Mercouri) to London to bring his son (Anthony Perkins) home to Greece, but she almost immediately falls in love with his raw emotions.
Terminator Genysis (Alan Taylor, 2015)

State’s Attorney (George Archainbaud, 1932)

The Great Man Votes (Garson Kanin, 1939)

Experimenter: The Stanley Milgram Story (Michael Amereyda, 2015)
+

Social psychologist Stanley Milgrim (Peter Sarsgaard) waves at his wife (Winona Ryder) through a two-way mirror used in his obedience experiments at Yale in the early 1960s.
Bulldog Drummond Comes Back (Louis King, 1937)

Tim’s Vermeer (Teller, 2013)
+
A Young Poet (Daniel Manivel, 2015)

A Conversation with Gregory Peck (Barbara Kopple, 1999)

Excerpts from Peck’s friendly one-man Q & A show are intercut with clips from his films and of his travels and visits with his family and friends in his 80s.
Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet (Roger Allers, 2015)

Monkey Business (Howard Hawks, 1952)
+
White Nights on the Pier (Paul Veccianeli, 2015)

Captain Horatio Hornblower (Raoul Walsh, 1951)

During the Napoleonic Wars, British Captain Horatio Hornblower (Gregory Peck) has to deal with a scummy New World rebel leader (Alec Mango), a change in Britain’s allies and a new passenger in the person of a beautiful noblewoman (Virginia Mayo).

I'd love to hear what you thought of Hail, Caesar, mark. I'd expect at least another half on that score. I know it's a +, but it sounds to me like something that'd be right up your street.

I can't believe this movie didn't get more play on Mofo. One of the best movies from last year for sure. The writing is fantastic, which leads to great characters. There are so many great little character moments throughout this film, I will have to watch it three more times to remember them all for sure. There really isn't a character in this film I don't like. The story is simple but effective and when it gets towards the horror elements even I didn't mind because I was so enthralled. What really caught me by surprise was the humor. There are plenty of laughs throughout and I probably laughed out loud more than in any other movie I saw last year. Great movie, I hope more mofos see it.

Re: Hail, Caesar! - It just doesn't add up to anything much. It's more colorful than entertaining. It's got a lot of underdeveloped subplots. The laughs seem easy and lightweight, what few there were. I think 1941 is way better.

It just doesn't add up to anything much. It's more colorful than entertaining. It's got a lot of underdeveloped subplots. The laughs seem easy and lightweight, what few there were. I think 1941 is way better.
I'll have to check out 1941. What is the common denominator?

Bone Tomahawk, nothing. I liked it, but it was too slow and overlong. I was talking about Hail, Caesar! and specifically thought of 1941 because of laughs and period recreation, especially dancing.

Bone Tomahawk, nothing. I liked it, but it was too slow and overlong. I was talking about Hail, Caesar! and specifically thought of 1941 because of laughs and period recreation, especially dancing.
My bad Mark, sorry.

Murder in the Dark (Dagen Merrill, 2013)

M-G-M Jubilee Overture (No Director Listed, 1954)
+
Simon Says (Bill Dear, 2006)

Monsters, Inc. (Pete Docter, Lee Unkrich & David Silverman, 2001)

Mike (Voice of Billy Crystal) and Sully (Voice of John Goodman) are scared senseless in the door-moving system, but Boo (Voice of Mary Gibbs) loves it.
Darkman II: The Return of Durant (Bradford May, 1995)

Harsh Times (David Ayer, 2006)

Love on the Run (W.S. Van Dyke, 1936)

New Orleans (Arthur Lubin, 1947)

[Middle right, standing] Louis Armstrong, Billie Holliday and Woody Herman provide the fine music in an otherwise ho-hum flick about the jazzy blues on Basin Street.
Ardor (Pablo Fendrok, 2014)

Incendiary Blonde (George Marshall, 1945)
-
McHale’s Navy (Edward J. Montagne, 1964)

Ballad of the Little Soldier (Werner Herzog & Denis Reichle, 1984)

Nicaraguan Miskito children are trained to fight whomever they’re told – sometimes it’s against the Sandinistas and other times, it’s against the Contras.
The Wicked Within (Jay Alaimo, 2015)

Gang Related (Jim Kouf, 1997)

Outrage (Ida Lupino, 1950)

...and justice for all. (Norman Jewison, 1979)
+

Lawyer Al Pacino goes flying with suicidal, wacko judge Jack Warden, and what happens to their helicopter happens daily to the criminal justice system several times over.
Smoky (George Sherman, 1966)

From Dusk Till Dawn (Robert Rodriguez, 1996)

Ghost Squad (Joel Souza, 2015)
-
Little Dieter Needs to Fly (Werner Herzog, 1998)
+

Pilot Dieter Dengler’s ironic life’s journey from Nazi Germany to America to the Vietnam War where he was shot down over Laos is depicted, often by artistic recreation, in a deeply personal documentary.

And Justice for All is nuts, but not in a good way.

The Blade (Tsui Hark, 1995)

Best in Show (Christopher Guest, 2000)

The Good Dinosaur (Peter Sohn, 2015)

Scooby-Doo (Raja Gosnell, 2002)

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (Christopher McQuarrie, 2015)

Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (Raja Gosnell, 2004)

Seven Up!

City Lights

The Conversation

Man of Steel

Couldn't actually finish this one, probably one of the most movies I've ever seen. Completely artificial and weird.

Hausu

An unfathomable nightmare of bad editing and ridiculous special effects. There's a evil cat that shoots blood and has laser eyes, the soundtrack will often feature multiple songs playing over each other, and some guy turns into bananas.

Still less weird than Man of Steel though.

Zootopia

Rivers and Tides

Captain America : The First Avenger

Surprisingly offbeat for a Marvel movie.

Thor

Hausu

An unfathomable nightmare of bad editing and ridiculous special effects. There's a evil cat that shoots blood and has laser eyes, the soundtrack will often feature multiple songs playing over each other, and some guy turns into bananas.
I don't understand, you just described why it's fantastic then gave it one star.

Stuff I watched over the past few weeks:

Kamikaze Girls (2004)

One of the best movies of the decade.

Avalon (2001)

Revenant (2015)

Quite boring survival movie.

Judgement at Nuremberg

M.D. Geist

M.D. Geist 2: Death Force

Even more violent but lacks the "classiness" of the original.

Demon City Shinjuku

Genocyber

Best gore animation ever.

Detonator Orgun

Cool mecha designs, rest pure mediocrity.

A system of cells interlinked
American Beauty

(Mendes, 1999)

" I had always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the second before you die. First of all, that one second isn't a second at all, it stretches on forever, like an ocean of time... For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching falling stars... And yellow leaves, from the maple trees, that lined my street... Or my grandmother's hands, and the way her skin seemed like paper... And the first time I saw my cousin Tony's brand new Firebird... And Janie... And Janie... And... Carolyn. I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday."

Se7en

(Fincher, 1995)

Star Wars : The Force Awakens
(Abrams, 2015)

This has solidified itself as a solid third overall in the Star Wars film catalog for me. Several viewings in, and I just adore it.

Deadpool (2016) - It's just not that good as everyone makes it out to be. It's got funny scenes and makes fun of itself which is cool and entertaining but that's about it.

Hitchcock/Truffaut (2015) - it's a Hitchcock/Truffaut friendship documentary. While I appreciate Hitchcock's work, I am not the biggest fan of Truffaut (seen only 2 of his films though), however, it's a film documentary, so I think everyone who likes film would enjoy it.

Solyaris (1972) - got the opportunity to see this in the cinema and the experience was great. The film itself, I've got mixed feelings. Really loved the first part and the film didn't feel like 3 hours, however, I found the second half a bit repetative and monotonous. In the end, I realized that I like this film less than I did before. I'm not the biggest Tarkovsky fan but I feel that being Eastern European I find it quite easy to kind of understand his films. I may not understand what is happening in the film plot-wise but I kind of understand what the film is about, if you know what I mean.. He's the closest to arthouse that I'm gonna get.

Stalker (1979) - same as above, saw it in the cinema and I've seen it a few times before. Although I still like the film a lot, I didn't like it as much as I used to do, I don't know, it just felt that I've seen everything there is to see in it and I wasn't feeling engaged with it.

Hail, Caesar! (2016) - Didn't like this one at all, was bored and I couldn't wait for it to be over. When it comes to Coens, I always feel that I will love their films but I end up disliking them. The only one that I love is Burn After Reading, although many Coen fans see it as one of the weakest of their films.

Anomalisa (2015) - very nice idea and film looked really promising but then just went downhill. It was quite unpredictable and very strange, the ending was just over the top. I was expecting more after seeing the trailer so maybe that's why I was so disappointed.

Alphaville (1965) - sorry, Goddard fans, really really disliked it, completely not my type and very slow and boring. I didn't even get the vibe of the film or what it was about. I'm not a big fan of the famous Breathless either. I think my favorite of his was The Contempt but still not my favorite film.

The Man from UNCLE (2015) - mediocre, had funny bits, had some boring stuff as well. I like Guy Ritchie's comedies overall but I think this may have been of his weakest ones.

Knocked Up (2007) - I'm not a big fan of comedies altogether, most of them I don't find funny anyway, this was no exception. It was quite entertaining but not something I will ever see again, I think.

Anchorman (2004) - same as above

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - I like this film, it's got some weird scenes but overall, I think this film very very original, I've never seen anything like it. It is not really super funny but the fact that it's so unique and independent from others makes it memorable and re-watchable.

The Big Lebowski (1998) - honestly, I've seen this film like 5 times and I still don't like it. I always watch it like once a year thinking 'how I could not liked it last time I watched it' and then I do watch and I still don't like it haha

Pig Hunt (James Isaac, 2009)

Double Dribble (Jack Hannah, 1946)

Lucky Losers (William Beaudine, 1950)

The Tournament (Scott Mann, 2009)
+

Ving Rhames appears to the bigwigs running and betting on it to have won the septennial assassins’ tournament.
Shanghai (Mikael Håfström, 2010)
+
The Soundman (Aaron Stell, 1950)

Pixels (Chris Columbus, 2015)

The Grey Zone (Tim Blake Nelson, 2001)
+

During WWII at Auschwitz, a group of Hungarian Jews assist the Nazis in their extermination and disposal of fellow Jews, but anything can happen.
Tall in the Saddle (Edwin L. Marin, 1944)

Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 (Paul Fickman, 2015)

Secret in Their Eyes (Billy Ray, 2015)

Paddington (Paul King, 2014)

After a series of mishaps, Paddington Bear (Voice of Ben Whishaw) Ieaves the Brown family and searches throughout London for the explorer who discovered his family in Peru and along the way, a kindly Queen’s Guard offers him warmth and food.
Crashing the Movies (Joe Ansen, 1950)
+
Prairie Badmen (Sam Newfield, 1946)

Alfie (Charles Shyer, 2004)

I Spit on Your Grave 3: Vengeance Is Mine (R.D. Braunstein, 2015)

The victim (Sarah Butler) from the first movie attends group counselling for rape victims but finds vigilante work against rapists more fulfilling.
I Spit on Your Grave (Steven R. Monroe, 2010)

Lambert & Stamp (James D. Cooper, 2015)

The Bottle and the Throttle (Timothy Farrell, 1968)
+
Adam's Apples (Anders Thomas Jensen, 2005)

After a series of strange, maybe even divine, occurrences, Priest Mads Mikkelsen finally gets to eat the apple pie that ex-con Ulrich Thomsen made for him.

I really need to see Bone Tomahawk, Sean, looks like a film I'd like a lot.

Glad you liked Paddington, Mark, was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it when it came out. Delightful little film.

Some of the ratings on this page I think are bizarre, Hausu is great, same goes for The Conversation, City Lights and Alphaville

At least the bad rating of Hausu made Skepsis appear out of no where