VHS comedy era comedy Hall of fame III (1977-1989)

Tools    

Back To The Future
For me, the first of the series of these films is just fine and the others were more cash cows than worthwhile...
After watching Back to the Future for the HoF I decided I needed to revisit Back to The Future II and III. The second one was kind of fun in a gimmicky futuristic way, but the third one which was a western was really good IMO. I liked that it focused on the story of Doc and had Mary Steenburgen and was set in the old west. Oh, I did like the first one of course.

The trick is not minding
With this just about finished with a few reviews to go for a few people, I’m going on the record and saying it’ll be a tight finish but top 4 will be:
1. The Princess Bride
2. Annie Hall
3. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
4. Back to the Future

Just going off the reviews, I feel it’s a race between those 4 films.
What do you guys think?

Please note that this does not reflect my ballot, as my top 4 does not reflect the above. That’s just my prediction. I’ll actually be pretty happy with any of those four films winning.

Real Genius (1985) wow this felt less like film but rather a parody of a film like a movie that someone would watch while in a better film. The whole idea of the college film is typically cliched and derivative but rarely do have a collection of such obnoxious characters.

The film also has serious pacing issues, I felt like we had four or five different endings at different points in the film. The story never felt organic and often times it felt like we need to do the thing because some other thing happened and now we have to do another thing. At no point did the story feel natural in any way shape or form. This really was the one stinker of the batch for me.

With this just about finished with a few reviews to go for a few people, I’m going on the record and saying it’ll be a tight finish but top 4 will be:
1. The Princess Bride
2. Annie Hall
4. Back to the Future

What do you guys think?

Please note that this does not reflect my ballot, as my top 4 does not reflect the above. That’s just my prediction. I’ll actually be pretty happy with any of those four films winning.

Well we still have Ed and Myself to finish and vote but I'll give you guys the current vote totals...

So one of the films is running away with this..I won't say which one

The trick is not minding
1. The Princess Bride
2. Annie Hall
4. Back to the Future

What do you guys think?

Well we still have Ed and Myself to finish and vote but I'll give you guys the current vote totals...

So one of the films is running away with this..I won't say which one
Interesting. I stand by my top Four prediction however

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
After watching Back to the Future for the HoF I decided I needed to revisit Back to The Future II and III. The second one was kind of fun in a gimmicky futuristic way, but the third one which was a western was really good IMO. I liked that it focused on the story of Doc and had Mary Steenburgen and was set in the old west. Oh, I did like the first one of course.

IMO, the first Back to the Future movie is easily the best of the trilogy, but all three are good movies. I've heard some people complain that they didn't like the second movie because it was too confusing, but I didn't think it was confusing at all. The only thing that I didn't understand is why they had Michael J. Fox play his daughter. Wouldn't it have made more sense for the actress who played Jennifer, (his future wife), play his daughter?

IMO, the first Back to the Future movie is easily the best of the trilogy, but all three are good movies. I've heard some people complain that they didn't like the second movie because it was too confusing, but I didn't think it was confusing at all. The only thing that I didn't understand is why they had Michael J. Fox play his daughter. Wouldn't it have made more sense for the actress who played Jennifer, (his future wife), play his daughter?
I remember Michael J. Fox being interviewed on Letterman and being asked why he did the role dressed in drag to be his daughter and he said, 'when else am I going to get to dress as a girl?'...I just thought it was funny the way he answered (that's funny ha-ha, not funny weird btw).

1. The Princess Bride
2. Annie Hall
4. Back to the Future

What do you guys think?

That sounds like it could be a fairly accurate prediction, but I think it might be easier to predict the bottom 4 than the top 4 in this HoF. There were a few movies that seemed to be disliked by a bunch of people. However I'd rather not do that because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I remember Michael J. Fox being interviewed on Letterman and being asked why he did the role dressed in drag to be his daughter and he said, 'when else am I going to get to dress as a girl?'...I just thought it was funny the way he answered (that's funny ha-ha, not funny weird btw).

That is funny, but I'm sure if he really wanted to dress like a girl, there must have been other movie roles he could have auditioned for and won.

I just thought that him playing his daughter felt a bit out of place in the movie. It made sense for his son to look just like him so that he could pretend to be his son and turn down Biff's "job". It just would have made more sense for their daughter to look like her mother, not her father.

Real Genius (1985) wow this felt less like film but rather a parody of a film like a movie that someone would watch while in a better film. The whole idea of the college film is typically cliched and derivative but rarely do have a collection of such obnoxious characters.

The film also has serious pacing issues, I felt like we had four or five different endings at different points in the film. The story never felt organic and often times it felt like we need to do the thing because some other thing happened and now we have to do another thing. At no point did the story feel natural in any way shape or form. This really was the one stinker of the batch for me.

I'm sorry to hear that you disliked Real Genius so much. It's been one of my favorite comedies since the first time I saw it. It's one of my favorite Val Kilmer movies.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Broadcast News

[after Paul fires one of his workers]
Paul Moore: Now, if there's anything I can do for you...
Employee: (smiling) Well, I certainly hope you'll die soon.

I wouldn't necessarily call this a comedy. More drama with a comedic tone.
And this isn't a jab at this film. It is a very good film and I enjoyed it. Just not what I'd call a comedy and that's simply my own perception and taste.
Brooks is good at setting an awkward moment/emotion and the insecure fumbling that we all do in those situations. Making the characters more realistic. Even though he saves all the best lines/witticisms for himself.

I really liked the opening, showing everyone as children and setting up their personalities that way. Making for a promising premise.
Everyone did great in their roles.
And while I do love Holly Hunter in pretty much everything I've seen her in, at around the third crying fit I couldn't help but roll my eyes.
I mean, I get it. She's wound up so tight that it takes those little crying bouts to let off some steam. . . but, I just wanted someone to appear out of nowhere and hand her a joint to smoke and some ice cream to eat afterward. "Ya gonna be alright, sweety,"

Now, I did enjoy the working environment of the newsroom AS the news is being done as opposed to most films where it's about the pursuit of a news story. So I definitely give marks for taking that less traveled path.
And, much like the opening, seeing them a few years later was a really nice touch. And again, Brooks made it look like how a lot of us would have done in real life.

So, not a favorite, but definitely an enjoyable watch.

The trick is not minding

Broadcast News

[after Paul fires one of his workers]
Paul Moore: Now, if there's anything I can do for you...
Employee: (smiling) Well, I certainly hope you'll die soon.

I wouldn't necessarily call this a comedy. More drama with a comedic tone.
And this isn't a jab at this film. It is a very good film and I enjoyed it. Just not what I'd call a comedy and that's simply my own perception and taste.
Brooks is good at setting an awkward moment/emotion and the insecure fumbling that we all do in those situations. Making the characters more realistic. Even though he saves all the best lines/witticisms for himself.

I really liked the opening, showing everyone as children and setting up their personalities that way. Making for a promising premise.
Everyone did great in their roles.
And while I do love Holly Hunter in pretty much everything I've seen her in, at around the third crying fit I couldn't help but roll my eyes.
I mean, I get it. She's wound up so tight that it takes those little crying bouts to let off some steam. . . but, I just wanted someone to appear out of nowhere and hand her a joint to smoke and some ice cream to eat afterward. "Ya gonna be alright, sweety,"

Now, I did enjoy the working environment of the newsroom AS the news is being done as opposed to most films where it's about the pursuit of a news story. So I definitely give marks for taking that less traveled path.
And, much like the opening, seeing them a few years later was a really nice touch. And again, Brooks made it look like how a lot of us would have done in real life.

So, not a favorite, but definitely an enjoyable watch.
It’s satire, which falls somewhat under comedy, I guess.
I really wanted to like this film. It’s a shame, because the actors are so good, and even in this Hurt and Brooks were decent. Even Nicholson was funny in his short scenes.
The look he gives the editor or who ever, when he suggested Nicholson could maybe consider taking a few million off his contract.

I really wanted to like this film. It’s a shame, because the actors are so good, and even in this Hurt and Brooks were decent. Even Nicholson was funny in his short scenes.
The look he gives the editor or who ever, when he suggested Nicholson could maybe consider taking a few million off his contract.
Satire IS the best description for this, I completely agree. And for the life of me, while watching this, it didn't dawn on me to see it as such. Which is on me.
Still, it was a good watch and, yes, the look Nicholson gives was excellent.
Along with the line I quoted by one of the employees being fired. Really loved that - especially the delivery with a smile.

The trick is not minding
Satire IS the best description for this, I completely agree. And for the life of me, while watching this, it didn't dawn on me to see it as such. Which is on me.
Still, it was a good watch and, yes, the look Nicholson gives was excellent.
Along with the line I quoted by one of the employees being fired. Really loved that - especially the delivery with a smile.
Agreed! That line was perfectly delivered.

I have two left to go. Planes, Trains, and Harry Met Sally. Should finish them by this weekend.
I've finished watching the Japanese HoF and need to post my final 2 reviews and send in my vote and I can get back into the Western and the 21st again.

The trick is not minding
I have two left to go. Planes, Trains, and Harry Met Sally. Should finish them by this weekend.
I've finished watching the Japanese HoF and need to post my final 2 reviews and send in my vote and I can get back into the Western and the 21st again.
Ah, I’m sorry. I thought you were finished. I don’t mean to rush you.

The trick is not minding
I'm ALWAYS one of the last when there's multiple HoFs going on. lol
and both this and the Japanese NEED to get wrapped up so no worries
Oh I know the feeling haha. I come close to the deadline as well, not only because I’m in multiple HOFs, but also I’m mixing in other films I want to watch.