T2: Judgement Day DVD

Tools    

The common egg is trailers either international, domestic, theatrical, TV commercial ads, or trailers/teasers for other releases for the studio. Interviews in the form of video clips are pretty popular. I'd say there are more alternate ending Easter Eggs out there than music videos, music scores, interviews, and documentaries. The director and studios seem to have the same opinion of eggs. They figure if they spent the money to originally shoot the scene, then it would be stupid to not put it on the disc. They also realize that some of us DVDphiles will literally search for hours on end to find the elusive egg just because we know it has to be there somewhere lol. Like the T2 DVD. When I first saw the DVD it was about two or three months before it was released and at the time it was three separate discs with all three versions. Now when they released it, Artisan made it a Dual Layer Double Sided disc, but didn't advertise the third version. I figured it had to be there somewhere because it was encoded on the first draft that I previously saw. That's why I kept hunting for it until I found it. I think Easter Eggs are my favorite DVD feature...right up there with Visual Commentary like on Men In Black. I'm still convinced there are eggs on MIB, but I've yet to find them...lol. I figure if I can't find it, I'll call the studio from work and see if they will tell me if there is one on there or not.

Visual Commentary? Isn't that actors and directors, etc, popping up in little windows during the movie to talk about things?

No eggs yet in MiB? Man, you just KNOW that DVD has got to be loaded with them...

The Visual Commentary can be anything where you see the actors and/or director talking about the film and sometimes drawing on it with marker. The Visual Commentary for MIB is a little different. Ever see Mystery Science Theater where the guy and the robot tear apart the film while they sit in front of it and you see their outlines against the screen. Well MIB is exactly like that. Tommy Lee Jones and Barry Sonnenfeld sit in front of the film and talk about the shooting and draw on the screen. It's also funny as hell. There may be eggs on MIB, but I haven't found them yet. I would say that since everything in the world is already on the disc, maybe there aren't any eggs...but then I think of Fight Club and T2 and have to laugh that even though they were loaded they both have eggs. I think I'm cursed to hunt till I die

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

LOL. The Fight Club DVD has a catalog of the films merchandise encoded as an Easter Egg. Insert the second disc of the special edition, the supplement disc. From the main menu, go to the Advertising menu and there hit the remote control's arrow Down key three times until a smiley face appears right underneath the Promotional Gallery entry. Now press Enter and a section will pop up where you can take a look at some of the official Fight Club merchandise, which includes soap bars, t-shirts, bags and other promo items, all of them accompanied by amusing anecdotes. Then on the first disc is another smiley face, if you select the far right option of the menu and then press the Up arrow key on your remote control. This smiley will take you to the DVDs production credits. I love MST too. I saw them do Howard the Duck one day and laughed till I cried.

I've seen bits and pieces of it, but not all the way through yet. Something always seems to happen when I try and watch that

That's a shame - it's a heckuva movie. Insanely funny, of course.

Anyway, it's almost 2AM here - I've got to get to sleep...but don't worry, I'm sure I'll have plenty of DVD-related questions to harrass you with by tomorrow.

LOL. I'll be here or egg hunting. G'nite.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
$300 eh? I'll think about it :P

I'm definetly gonna get a DVD player at some point - they're too cool to resist. The lower-end ones are still pretty good, and some are all the way down to $130 or so! I'll probably wait til January or so though - when today's $200-250 ones will be down to $150 or so.
I finally broke down and bought a DVD player last week. The thing was only $100 bucks at Best Buy, so I figured even if I didn't use it that much, I couldn't possibly consider it a waste.

I'm damn glad I bought the thing. I only have a handful of DVDs so far, and most of them don't even have many extras that make DVDs exceptionally cool, but being able to watch the movie in widescreen with that great picture that you can't often get with tape is truly amazing. And knowing that I can watch my favorites over and over again without wearing out the DVD is a huge plus (I've worn out many a video tape). And when you rent a DVD, you don't have to worry as much about the thing being screwed up (I've rented tapes many times that were worn out and essentially unwatchable).

When a disc has all the cool bonus stuff, it's pure gravy.

Originally posted by Laurie L
******SPOILER******

The T2 alternate ending comes out of nowhere. Arnold still gets deep fried, but the original ending which had the monologue by Linda Hamilton is replaced with an actual scene of the future for us. We see Hamilton as an old lady sitting on a park bench near the famous playground and in the background is a fabulous matte effect of the 'City of the Future'. We hear Hamilton say that her son John is fighting the war a different way now, in the government...probably Senate or something and we see an old John playing with a child on a slide. The child comes over to Hamilton and calls her Grandma. Hamilton goes on saying that she wishes she could tell everyone that each day after what should have been Judgment Day is a gift and to use it with love etc. It's a pretty sweet ending, but completely slams the door shut on any sequel potential which is probably why it's never been shown considering that the script to T3 is currently being worked on with everyone except Cameron saying they'll do the film.

So there ya go. Name any movies in particular and I'll check my references to see if it's got any Easter Eggs on it at all.
By the way, I saw this ending on TV one time. It was on one of those "Behind Closed Doors" kind of specials. I can't remember which channel it was on or what the actual name of the show was, though.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Oh and about that alternate ending for T2, I saw it when I rented the DVD and watched it on my computer, but I didn't have to put in any numbers or anything, just watch the section with all the deleted scenes, it's in there. Are there ways to watch these eggs on a computers DVD player?
[Edited by OG- on 10-16-2000]

Naw...you're just intellectually challegned.

I'll have to try playing a DVD on a computer sometimes - I'm assuming I just use my mouse?

That leads me to another question: I hear Laurie say things like "click on that..." - is there a little mouse-type device on the remote to move a cursor around with and click with?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I don't know how a standard DVD player works, I think the remote has arrows and such on it. But for a computer you just use the mouse to point to the different parts of the screen of what you want. It pretty cool when the movies have such big interactive menus, like Terminator 2. I think T2 is the best DVD I have watched yet.

On any model DVD player, you can use the arrows to move highlighted fields on a menu. Then you hit the enter button on the remote to access the highlighted fields. Looks like you can access the entire third version from the title menu as well.

There are some players on the market right now that allow you to connect a standard player into a PC. If you pause the film and a favorite frame, say of Brad Pitt..mmmmmmm.. then you can print that screen from your PC's printer. Also, there are a few players that allow you to create a screen saver for your TV. If you have say five favorite pics of Brad Pitt..mmmmmmmm..then you can choose those pics, save them on your DVD player, and program them to display as a screen saver whenever the player is on but not in use. Pretty sweet huh.

Well, I'm really close to going ahead and buying a DVD player! Hey Laurie: can I hook it up to an older, smaller TV? Say, about 13-inches or so, if I needed to?

I have plenty of cash for it, but I'd like to make a little more to provide more of a "buffer" ya know? Make myself earn it to appreciate it more.

It depends on the make and model of your TV whether or not it's compatible to DVD. You can check the back of your TV and see how many alternate outputs it has. If the TV is not compatible, I would not recommend running the DVD player through a VCR. The Macrovision encoding on DVDs through VCRs will severly distort the picture and eventually may burn out the TV and the powerboard in the DVD player. Also, if the TV is not compatible, I believe Sony makes a digital converter that will allow digital equipment to be hooked up. All of this said, it's a crime to play DVDs on a 13 inch TV though...lol