My Most Disturbing Movie Experiences

Tools    

I love Forrest Gump
I know, most of the world loves Forrest Gump, but I have too many personal issues with the film to climb on that bandwagon.
That's because Forrest Gump is just a Madea movie for white people.

The Jenny stuff is pretty disturbing when i think about it, but i don't think it is to me because i watched it alot when i was very young and obviously didn't have a clue she had AIDS then since it's not explicitly said in the film and i didn't even know what it was at the time. In her defence Jenny was extremely messed up from the horrendous things that happened to her as a child which she had no control over. Plus it was Forrest who tracked Jenny down when she was a singer at the height of her troubles and caused a major problem for her out of his good intentions obviously which was the only part that she treated him bad verbally and even then she apologized to him. She obviously did love Forrest and just wanted the best for her son because she knew he was a good man, plus AIDS hasn't been discovered or understood when she gets it which is why it is known as an unknown virus meaning she couldn't possibly have known what it was like.

I think Forest Gump is best looked at as a fantasy. I believe that's what the director had in mind.
A fantasy....what an interesting theory....never thought about that...interesting idea Citizen.

Hard Candy

This creepy and claustrophobic thriller makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about it. Ellen Page (Juno) plays Hayley, a 14-year old girl who contacts an alleged pedophile (Patrick Wilson) online. She convinces him that they should meet and, upon his arrival, she drugs him, ties him up, and informs him of her plan to castrate him. Needless to say, this film had my stomach in knots and my hands covering my junk for the majority of the running time.

I hate that film so much. It would be disturbing if the acting and dialogue and premise and everything wasn't awful. No idea how Ellen Page is praised for that.

I don't remember Training Day being disturbing, but I do remember being disappointed by it.
I accidentally repped you on this one Why Crick? What disappointed you?

I hate that film so much. It would be disturbing if the acting and dialogue and premise and everything wasn't awful. No idea how Ellen Page is praised for that.
WOW, Camo, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about the movie?

I accidentally repped you on this one Why Crick? What disappointed you?
I accidentally repped you too haha.

I don't remember, I only saw it once when it first came out. I know I had high expectations and Denzel is one of my favorite actors. I know I didn't dislike it, but I was expecting to love it.

Glengarry Glen Ross

Regular followers of my threads are aware of my love for this film, but it doesn't make it any less disturbing...there's a lot of disturbing things going on here it's hard to know where to start...maybe with an office manager (Kevin Spacey) who wants more from his staff but doesn't want to do anything to help them. The general atmosphere of this office is a little unsettling too...it always seems to be early evening during most scenes, implying that these guys are at this office all the time and have put their personal lives on the backburner, if they have any. Other than Shelley Levine (Jack Lemmon) having a very ill daughter, there is no hint of a personal life for any of these guys, which I also found a little unsettling. I also hated seeing Ricky Roma (Al Pacino) getting all the accolades even though it turned out he wasn't what he appeared to be on the surface.

A History of Violence

This story of a small business owner (Viggo Mortenson) who is revealed to be living a lie and is actually a former mafioso is disturbing on all kinds of level as a man tries to pretend the lie isn't really a lie as long as he can, and when he can't, some very unpleasant manifestations of violence become a part of his life, the most unsettling of which is the guy's use of violence in maintaining control of his marriage. This movie ends with the viewer not having a clue of what's going to happen to any of these people and the possibilities we're left with are nothing positive.

I like the list so far Gideon. Sorry I did not get to it sooner.

I was more shocked by how close the movie Pain and Gain was the the true crime story, but then again they left out a lot of the more disturbing aspects about the main characters to make them a lot more likable. No no more death and rape threats.

Prisoners was a great flick and The Exorcist is easily the scariest movie I ever saw. The Wrestler I did not find disturbing at all. It was depressing though. Another great movie. Sophie's Choice to me was meh until the ending. THEN sh*t got real. And Training Day is simply badass. A History of Violence was another good one.

As for Bamboozled, you and I have talked about that flick after I posted my own write up of it in my Review thread. Spike just REALLY dropped the ball with that movie. Everything you say is correct. The premise had great comedic and satiric potential, but Spike forgot the jokes. And it needed A LOT more Paul Mooney.

Very good movie, but I can't say I find it disturbing.
These are the movies that I found disturbing...I'm not speaking for anyone else...this is my opinion and my opinion only.

These are the movies that I found disturbing...I'm not speaking for anyone else...this is my opinion and my opinion only.
Obviously he knows that, he's only saying whether he found it disturbing or not just like everyone else is. Noone is trying to say you are wrong because they didn't find it disturbing themselves. I honestly don't get where this comment is coming from.

Anyway, A History of Violence is good and yeah i found it a bit disturbing too.

Candy (2006)

This movie about a couple (Heath Ledger, Abbie Cornish) drowning in heroin addiction is a very uncomfortable watch...watching what happens to this couple is so sad because they both are talented artists who are doing nothing with their talent. It was disgusting watching Dan (Ledger) pimp Candy (Cornish) out so that they could get high and when she suggested that he do the same thing, he absolutely refused. It was troubling when Dan found a wallet in a car and went to a very elaborate ruse in order to max out the credit cards that were in the wallet. He even calls the owner of the wallet agreeing to return it and doesn't. I kept thinking what a shame it was that the ingenuity that Dan put into maxing out those credit cards couldn't have been used for something more positive. I also was troubled by their best friend (Geoffrey Rush) enabling the couple to get high with the clear motive of wanting to have sex with Dan and the scenes of the couple actually attempting to quit cold turkey were really painful to watch.

Natural Born Killers

There were some good performances, but other than that, I can't think of a single thing I liked about this movie. I was pretty much squirming throughout right up to the horrible taste it left in my mouth. This movie made my sick to my stomach. Can't believe Oliver Stone directed this mess.

A Single Man

I was really bothered by the fact that the leading character (Colin Firth) felt the only way to deal with the death of his lover (Matthew Goode) was to commit suicide. I was also troubled by the fact that his BFF (Julianne Moore) felt that the lover's death was her chance to win Firth back because she always felt his homosexuality was a "phase."