Elmo's Cinematic Reflections

→ in
Tools    

Movie Forums Insomniac

After watching Being Elmo on Netflix this evening, I have to say it was well worth the viewing.

Kevin Clash is the gentle giant behind the most beloved character on Sesame Street, and his story is of the outsider whose obsession is the world of puppetry. From a very early age Clash has been infatuated with the worlds Jim Henson and Frank Oz managed to create on television and the big screen. His keen interest moves from curiosity to making his own puppets and performing wherever he can. Mind you, Clash is doing this in Baltimore, not the suburbs of southern California. Despite ridicule from his peers, Clash continues to pursue his passion. Before long he gets a chance to star in a local TV show using all his own handmade puppets.

The love Clash has for his craft is enthralling to watch. He is so sincere about his desire to become a great puppeteer that it’s easy to miss the contrast of this large African American male from Baltimore performing with his felt covered creations. As Clash continues to hone his craft he gets the opportunity to work with the best of the best, including Jim Henson, Clash’s hero. The retelling of how the two met and the working relationship they developed is endearing. Hearing Clash talk about it makes it feel as though it happened just moments ago.

Throughout the documentary there is the use of still photos which, rather than settle on the now tried and true practice of Ken Burns' like camera movements on and around the photos, it uses a 3D like journey through the stills. The effect draws you into the story and is never overused as to make it feel gimmicky. The same cannot be said for the narration by Whoopi Goldberg. Her narration just gets to the point of distraction. While her voice is distinguishable, it simply doesn't enhance the film whatsoever.

The highest notes of Being Elmo are fantastic. The sincerity cannot be missed and the story of the man behind one of the most popular children’s characters of all time is an enjoyable one.

My grade:

Princess of Power
I'm not sure what I was expecting but this sounds a lot more interesting, I'm defiantly going to put this in my film queue now.

Movie Forums Insomniac

With the ‘found footage’ style of film making wearing thin, Act of Valor decides to take it to the next step and cast non-actors in an otherwise straightforward typically Hollywood action film. With actual active-duty U.S. Navy Seals and Special Warfare Combatant Crewmen in the lead roles the film benefits from a certain amount of realism and you’d be hard pressed not to be blown away by the action displayed on screen, but given the acting inexperience of the cast there’s very little else to be excited about. The plot is generic as far as these types of films go...suicide bomber takes out American Ambassador, undercover CIA agent is captured and held prisoner, the SEALS go in for the rescue, terrorist plot unfolds, climactic action sequence with x amount of casualties: It’s Michael Bay’s by the books storytelling, and without reliable or charismatic actors to follow it all comes across a bit empty.

As much as the Navy Seals try their hardest to make a character impact, it’s hard to get too emotionally invested as they aren’t given too much depth, and apart from the two leads, the rest of the crew just camouflage into the background. It isn’t all bad though as the action is stellar and it doesn’t sugar-coat the harsh realities of what these brave men face every day making it seem like a far more authentic experience.

My grade:

Movie Forums Insomniac

It’s hard to believe that given all their collaborations together Tim Burton and Johnny Depp have never tackled anything vampiric. With the undead genre starting to lose a little of its bite it seems like the duo are a little late to the party with Dark Shadows, but then again a vampire-themed film from these two is going to be unlike anything else on offer. All of the ingredients for a gothic tale are there with Depp starring as wealthy socialite of sorts Barnabus Collins who is cursed to a life as an immortal bloodsucker when he breaks the heart of chambermaid-come-witch Angelique (Eva Green). Buried in a box for 200 years he rises in the year 1972 where he seeks out his descendants who still reside in the Collins manor... Matriarch of the estate Elizabeth Collins (Michelle Pfeiffer), her rebellious daughter Carolyn (Chloe Grace Moretz), her lecherous brother Roger (Jonny Lee Miller) and his precocious son David (Gulliver McGrath).

As the story unwinds Barnabus’ true identity is revealed and the town that once adored his family is now the enemy as Angelique, re-identifying herself as Angie, assists in tearing the Collins’ clan apart. With a plethora of colorful characters which also include Jackie Earle Haley as the spaced-out caretaker Willie and Helena Bonham Carter as the booze-inducing family psychiatrist, and the scenery drenched in a typical Burton mix of washed out pallets and hyper vibrancy, there’s a lot to like about this film. However, it’s likely that fans of the original TV series that this is loosely based on (and I do stress the word loose) won’t find anything too familiar here. And Burton's followers just might be disappointed that he hasn’t gone crazy enough to reach the heights of his earlier work like Beetlejuice as the films promotional campaigns has pegged it as a comedy when in reality it’s far from it.

Sure there are some very witty and kooky moments, and the finale is deliriously over-the-top, that it’s hard to say it’s a disappointment. Plus it’s hard to completely fault a film with such a wonderful cast. But I’d suggest treading carefully into these shadows as you’re likely to get what you least expect.

My grade:

Movie Forums Insomniac

It’s easy just to say Die Hard is the perfect action film and leave it at that but there’s so much to love about the film that you can’t just leave it there.

The film takes a slow start, introducing as to John McClane, his wife Holly and their strained relationship. The first twenty minutes set this film up as almost a rom-com of sorts with hilarity going around John’s attempts to fit into L.A. while trying to get back together with his wife. However once we see the terrorists the action ramps up and doesn’t come down. This is a typical Hostage takeover film but with little things that take it above and beyond the ordinary.

For starters the characters are all fantastic, the terrorists are all unique enough to, not be memorable but they aren’t forgettable either, they all have at least one trait so you remember them whether it be the Asian One, the guy with the rocket launcher or Huey Lewis. The police and F.B.I. are all suitably inept, thinking they’re doing the right thing but are actually helping the terrorists and due to a communication breakdown they even try to kill McClane. The only good cop is Al Powell who acts as a shoulder for McClane to lean against, to let out all his feelings at that moment, he’s a friend when John has none. Holly stays cool under pressure from the terrorists and tries to do what’s best for the other hostages and Ellis is great as slimy executive only looking out for himself.

But what really makes the film is the great hero and the possible even better villain. Bruce Willis is brilliant as John McClane, the New York cop out of home and out of his comfort zone when he goes to visit his wife for her company’s Christmas party. McClane is the stereotypical wise-cracking, hard smoking, tough-ass but what makes him so great is his human side, he doesn’t have to help the hostages but he does because it’s his duty, he gets hurt (the famous glass foot wound being a prime example) and at some points even he has had enough of everything. But they keep McClane just smart, tough and able enough to be a true hero and save the day. On the other end of the spectrum Alan Rickman chews scenery and lines as the smart, sophisticated Hans Gruber, he looks like he could fit into Wall Street and his smooth words go down your ears like good whiskey. He starts the takeover in control, cold and calculating but as McClane ruins his plans he gets angrier and more careless. The hero and villain show a great juxtaposition between each other and it’s one of several aspects that make the film great.

The action in this film has a great mix of realistic and mayhem, there more than a few gunfights throughout the film and they almost always end with at least one person dead. These gunfights are all done well and they’re all exciting to watch but they pale in comparison to the explosive nature of the SWAT infiltration, the C-4 computer and the roof explosion, all the big scenes get more adrenaline pumping and make you want to yell ‘Boo-yah’ especially on the explosion scenes because they look - and are actually – real. Because there are only a few big scenes scattered amongst several gunfights the action is kept at a good pace with several peaks but never letting down.

The writing on this film is yet another great point for it, because we get to know the characters they dialogue feels real, the arguments between John and Holly are exactly the kinds of arguments you expect a couple to have when they’re forced to choose between a career and a relationship. But more than that it’s very smart, Hans’ bluffs his way through the police, trying to throw them off-course with talks of releasing terrorists he’s never met, John’s wisecracks are all chucklesome and quotable, the whole script feels tight. But it’s the little things that really impress, John’s reason for not wearing any shoes, the agents names Johnson and Johnson (no relation), Holly’s watch, the Asian stealing the sweets, Huey Lewis watching sports, little things that keep the film feeling that bit more real.

Overall, there’s a reason they call this the greatest action film ever made, great characters, a memorable hero and villain, a tight script and a brilliant pace for the action.

My grade:

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Yeah, got to agree with Rodent on this. Great review, same as I'd rate it. And the best action film ever. Made it all the way up to #4 on my top 100 list

Movie Forums Insomniac

Serenity is a very good film, it continues the story of the rag-tag crew of Space Cowboys and their ship. Is it necessary to watch this film after Firefly, really no, the show ends fine as it is but if you’re looking for a continuation of the story then this is a good way to go about it.

Much like the show itself the film revolves around some form of government searching for River, this time it’s the creepy and un-named ‘The Operative’. At the same time the crew of Serenity have reached a dry-spot in their criminal activity, add to that that River is getting more and more dangerous and it’s putting a strain on Captain Reynolds and forcing a rift in the crew.

It’s a fairly simple plot but with an engaging story, especially once the crew lands on ‘Miranda’ and discover an awful truth plus some more back-story on River’s past which is always great for such a brilliant character.

In terms of acting, everyone is just as good as they were in the TV series, Simon is still awkward, Kaylee is still cute as hell with her straight talking, Jayne is still the dumb, violent lug, Zoe is still a soldier and Wash is still the voice of reason. There was some bad in with the good – Book is merely a cameo role since leaving the ship (although being a preacher and a passenger I won’t hold that against him) and Inara is just there to look pretty and generally be useless – however there was three utterly brilliant roles in the film.

The first and foremost was Mal Reynolds, I’ve heard some complaints that Mal was a lot grumpier in this film than the series but I liked that, Mal is no longer the happy-go-lucky, floral bonnet wearing Space Cowboy that he once was, he’s being forced to avoid work because of the Tam siblings, his own crew is beginning to question his judgement and when he loses a close friend he’s had enough and wants to fight back against the alliance. It’s a good role and a good growth for the character.

The second is River, now I loved River in the show (she’s my favorite character) and here she’s just as good, perhaps better. With her mind slipping more and more and her past as a trained killer getting closer and closer to the surface River is having trouble fitting into the ship without being seen as a threat. However with the growing killer instinct we get to see River kick-ass, twice, and both times she is incredible.

The final great role is The Operative, he’s the main villain of the film and he’s a fantastic villain at that, he’s calm, he’s cool, he’s British (obviously), he’s handy with a blade and he knows some amazing hand-to-hand combat moves. When we first see him he kills two officers and paralyses a third to fall onto his blade, a chilling introduction to such a cold character.

Joss Whedon is great as the writer and director, more than the latter. Although I will say that the story has some great twists and turns, we learn a great deal more about the mysterious Reavers and there are quite a few surprise deaths. As for his directing well he’s really good, he uses quite a few gliding movements on the camera, selling the space aspect of the film (when we first meet Serenity there’s a great tracking shot showing us the whole ship and the whole crew yet again. Also with the improvement in FX from the TV show we get some truly amazing shots of the ship in space, chief of which is an absolutely stunning part where Serenity finds itself in the middle of a Space War between The Alliance and The Reavers, dodging and weaving through the floating debris and fire-fights going on around them, it’s a great moment in the film, it’s both tense and exciting to watch.

Overall, this is a great end to a wonderful and regrettably short-lived series, it’s well acted, well directed and action-packed. Highly recommended for Firefly fans and even if you haven’t seen the show this is still a great film to watch (although I do think you’d be better watching the show first then checking out this film).

My grade: