Burt Reynolds has Died

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Seems he didn’t shoot his scenes for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which is sad. Would have been a hell of a cinematic send-off.

One of the best 70s, 80s actor out there! He will be missed for sure!

Put his movie The Longest Yard (1974) in my most recent Top Movies at #20.

Paul Crewe (Burt Reynolds) goes to jail for stealing his girlfriend's maserati, drunken driving, and resisting arrest, and as an Ex-NFL MVP Quarterback, leads a rough and tumble game of football filmed on location at a state jail. Guards vs Prisoners- The Mean Machine.
Good ole-Burt Reynolds time.

I just love this film (hopefully TCM will air it this coming week).

I could never bring myself to watch the remake - I've seen bits and never understood WHY such a great film would need to be remade (no less with Adam Sandler in Burt's role!).

I love the cast -
Burt, of course, as an egocentric athlete who comes to a last minute redemption, sacrificing potential freedom and risking death for loyalty to his friends.
James Hampton as Caretaker (a recognizable, but little known actor) in one of his few standout performances.
Michael Conrad - just great as aging Nate Scarboro.
Eddie Albert is unsurpassed as the movie's villain in probably his greatest feature-length performance (as far as evil wardens go, this performance rivals that of Bob Gunton in Shawshank Redemption)!
Ed Lauter shines as a hard-core guard who, in the end, may not be all bad.
Charles Tyner was truly creepy and frightening as the envious and murderous Unger.
Harry Ceasar (Granville), Richard Kiel (Samson), Robert Tessier (Shokner) and Bernadette Peters all had memorable performances.

The film was peppered with former pro-athletes & football players!

I just love this film (hopefully TCM will air it this coming week).

I could never bring myself to watch the remake - I've seen bits and never understood WHY such a great film would need to be remade (no less with Adam Sandler in Burt's role!).

I love the cast -
Burt, of course, as rather arrogant athlete who comes to a last minute redemption, sacrificing potential freedom and risking death for loyalty to his friends.
James Hampton as Caretaker (a recognizable, but little known actor) in one of his few standout performances.
Michael Conrad - just great as aging Nate Scarboro.
Eddie Albert is unsurpassed as the movie's villain in probably his greatest feature-length performance (as far as evil wardens go, this performance rivals that of Bob Gunton in Shawshank Redemption)!
Ed Lauter shines as a hard-core guard who, in the end, may not be all bad.
Charles Tyner was truly creepy and frightening as the envious and murderous Unger.
Harry Ceasar (Granville), Richard Kiel (Samson), Robert Tessier (Shokner) and Bernadette Peters all had memorable performances.

The film was peppered with former pro-athletes & football players!
I love this movie, too. Thanks for the heads-up about the TCM airing. Need to re-watch this! One of my favorite parts (can't remember but I think Burt was the one who made him apologize) was when Tessier hurt the gigantic Kiel, and also hurt Kiel's feelings. Tessier says, "I'm sorry" just as deadpan as can be, and Kiel, like a happy child, looks at everybody and says, "He said he was sorry!" That makes me laugh every time. Also, the mud battle with Burt and the other prisoner was aces. But like you said, the whole thing was great.

Still, my favorite Burt Reynolds film, and the one that surprised a lot of people, showing that Burt could be restrained was Starting Over (1979), where Burt's wife (Candace Burgen) leaves him and he's set up on a date with Jill Clayburgh without either knowing what the other looks like. It plays out in this following clip (rough language ahead, so be forewarned). Anyway, Burt gives a restrained and light comedic performance and was terrific in this movie, which I recommend, for whatever that's worth. And now, the clip:

Godspeed, Burt

Grew up watching Burt but it was one of his scenes in Striptese I always think of. That and most of his "Bandit" moments.

Gonna miss you man.

I was very sad to hear of his death. Reynolds was a great athlete, had a great personality, and great sense of humor. Evidently he'd had heart problems for some time, finally succumbing at aged 82.

Reportedly, although he was cast in Tarantino's upcoming Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, his scenes hadn't been shot yet, although he'd done a "table read" with Brad Pitt. He was to play the owner of the Spahn ranch --George Spahn-- where the Manson family resided in Chatsworth.

I expect that he's up there in the beyond, sharing his great laugh with his old friend, Jerry Reed.

~Doc

Another thing is when i was a kid i couldn't tell Burt Reynolds and Tom Selleck apart, just thought the both of them were Burt Reynolds. Blew my mind when i found out Burt wasn't Magnum PI...or wait was he? Who even knows. Also which one was Richard on Friends? Starting to think fake moustaches are the best camouflage.
Weirdly I saw a woman making that exact mistake on the news last night, regarding Friends.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Sad, sad thing. Part of being a kid in the 70s was Burt Reynolds films. Too many favorites to list, but will add to ones not mentioned:
The End with Dom Deluise
And, to join in with Archer's man- crush, regarding Gator and White Lightning, as well as Deliverence.

And to answer camo, Selleck was both Richard and Magnum.

And to answer camo, Selleck was both Richard and Magnum.
I know that now, was just joking. I honestly couldn't tell them apart when i was a kid though, no actually i didn't even know they were different people until i was 14 or something.

Standard natural evolution:

age 4 - learn to never trust that an on-screen serial killer is really dead
age 6 - discover the Tooth Fairy is fictional and those teeth went straight into the bin which is where they should have gone from the start
age 7 - understand Santy doesn't really exist
age 9 - discover the opposite sex doesn't just smell and make you feel sick
age 14 - cotton on that Tom Selleck is actually not Burt Reynolds
age 80 - realise that there is such a thing as 'too much hookers and blow' after all

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It's so sad to hear about another legend passing on. I grew up watching his comedy movies, and I still rewatch many of them as often as possible. Smokey and the Bandit I and II are both favorite movies, as well as The End, Hooper, The Cannonball Run, and Paternity. I also loved his guest appearance on "The Golden Girls" as himself.

A few hours ago, CMT aired a documentary about him from 2016 called The Bandit. They might air it again over the weekend, so check your local listings.

who should replace him ? warren Beatty ?

Well he was going to play George Spahn who was the old rancher that the Manson family lived off of. Harry Dean Stanton would have been perfect for the role.

Robert Duvall or James Caan would be my pick