False Writer's 57 Favorite Movies by Year (1960-2016)

→ in
Tools    

Dark Knight, Wall-E, Gran Torino, The Wrestler, Let the Right One In, Doubt, Revolutionary Road, The Hurt Locker, Waltz With Bashir...........

and you pick Meet The Spartans?!?!?!?!?

That's it, "Hey, Yoda, we need this guy outta here. We got a mod near by? We need an instant ban over here"

Honesty = props

The movie pick = kills every props point on planet

Some I really like, some I really don't like.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
1984: The Terminator

Arnold is absolutely amazing as the bad ass cyborg villain in this awesome and bloody sci-fi action flick!

1985: Back to the Future

Rewatched this again recently and is still an amazing movie. It's impressive how well it holds up. I believe that even 50 years from now it will still hold up. Truly a timeless classic!

1986: Platoon

A riveting account of a US soldier making it through the Vietnam war. It's a film that effectively shows the horror of war but is also undeniably entertaining to watch.

1987: Full Metal Jacket (VCS: The Princess Bride)

Another movie about the Vietnam war, but this one focuses more on the soldiers themselves than the actual war. '87 is the year where the Very Close Second is extremely close. With FMJ being a top 10 favorite while Princess Bride is a top 20 favorite for me. Both movies are absolutely phenomenal!

Rep is for The Terminator and Back to the Future. I don't like war movies so I haven't seen the other two movies.

(I would have given you rep for The Princess Bride too if you had chosen it.)

1991: Terminator 2: Judgement Day
This rep is for Terminator 2: Judgement Day, which I think is better than the first Terminator movie.

(I liked Goodfellas, but it's not really my kind of movie because it's too violent, so it's not enough to rep for it.)

1992: Reservoir Dogs (VCS: Hard Boiled)

1993: Nightmare Before Christmas (VCS: Jurassic Park)

1994: Pulp Fiction (VCS: The Lion King and Shawshank Redemption)

1995: Seven (VCS: Braveheart)

This rep is for The Nightmare Before Christmas, which I love more and more each time I watch it, and Se7en, which is a great movie, but a bit too violent for my tastes.

(Reservoir Dogs is another movie that was a pretty good movie, but it's just too violent for me, and I hated Pulp Fiction, so no rep for those two movies.)

1996: Fargo (VCS: Primal Fear)

1997: Princess Mononoke (VCS: LA Confidential)

1998: American History X (VCS: Saving Private Ryan)

1999: Fight Club (VVCS: Office Space)

*The only instance where 2 of my top 10s are in the same year*

I don't really love any of these movies, but I gave you a combined rep for Princess Mononoke, which I kind of liked, and some of these movies that I thought were good movies, even though they're not really my type of movies:

Primal Fear
LA Confidential
American History X
Saving Private Ryan

2014: Birdman or: The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance (VCS: The Raid 2)

(first half of) 2016:

Zootopia (VCS: The Jungle Book)

+ rep is for Birdman. I haven't seen Zootopia or The Jungle Book yet, but I have high hopes for both of them.

Dark Knight, Wall-E, Gran Torino, The Wrestler, Let the Right One In, Doubt, Revolutionary Road, The Hurt Locker, Waltz With Bashir...........

and you pick Meet The Spartans?!?!?!?!?
I've seen most of those, and they're all pretty good movies but I'm just not that crazy about any of them.

This rep is for Terminator 2: Judgement Day, which I think is better than the first Terminator movie.

(I liked Goodfellas, but it's not really my kind of movie because it's too violent, so it's not enough to rep for it.)
Hmmm. That's kinda weird because T2 has way more violence in it than Goodfellas

Great list, I of course approve of the 1976 choice. But as for 2008 I suggest you see TropicThunder, The Dark Knight, and Gran Torino time now!
Thanks GS!

I've seen Dark Knight and Gran Torino. They're both good but just don't really stand out for me. I haven't seen Tropic Thunder so maybe that would be the one that dethrones Meet the Spartans.

1992-1995. Reservoir Dogs is still my favourite Tarantino, it would be third of its year for me behind Unforgiven and My Cousin Vinny. I actually used to hate Nighmare Before Christmas until i watched it again for the Animated HOF, it is still not a favourite but i like it a lot more now. Naked would be my pick for 1993. Pulp is my second fave Tarantino, great film of course. SE7EN would be my pick for 95 too.

1996-99. Fargo would maybe be mine for 96, glad you picked it instead of Primal Fear which i hate. Princess Mononoke is my favourite animated film and would be my pick for its year. I hate American History X, sorry. Both Fight Club and Office Space are very good. My pick for 99 would be All About My Mother.

2000-2003. Never seen The Patriot, love all of the LOTR films. My picks for those years would be: Almost Famous, Mulholland Drive, Sweet Sixteen and Lost In Translation.

2004-2007. It wouldn't be my pick for that year but i like the Dawn of the Dead remake a lot. Not seen Jarhead. Haven't seen it in years but i liked Silent Hill a lot, big surprise i thought it was going to be awful. I like Hot Fuzz but i'm not completely crazy about any of the Cornetto Trilogy, really glad you picked it over No Country which i'm really not a fan of. My picks for those years: Team America, Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, Pan's Labyrinth and There Will Be Blood.

2008-2011. Meet The Spartans? WTF? Would make my top ten worst of the decade. Not seen any of the other three. Don't like THe Hobbit. My picks for those years: WALL-E, Fantastic Mr Fox, Animal Kingdom, A Seperation and The Master.

2012-2015. Not really a fan of Prisoners. Birdman is very good and i haven't watched The Revenant. Zootopia is the only film i've seen from this year so i agree . My picks: Before Midnight, Mommy and Anomalisa.

Congrats on finishing your list, good job

Thanks for following Camo! I would encourage you to make your own list, but you already spoiled your picks!

I've seen most of those, and they're all pretty good movies but I'm just not that crazy about any of them.
You aren't crazy for any of them, but you are definitely crazy for picking Meet the Spartans alright.

In all honesty, I always wondered who the hell those type of movies were made for. You, appearently, it seems (and you alone).

No really, it's your list pick whatever you want, but you can't be surprised that this pick is one of the craziest I've ever seen. It's not some mediocre mess, it's not guilty pleasure-ish, it's not even modern Nic Cage-bad... It's just universally hated everywhere you look.

Anyways, I'm not trying to roast you here or anything, which would be rather low given the obvious target, but it's just hard wrapping my head around, you know?

I would definitely recommend Tropic Thunder too. That's a comedy I wouldn't mind seeing on this list.

Congrats on the list by the way, FW!

I am the Watcher in the Night
A lot of movies I really like but Meet the Spartans is Horrendous. It's not even funny in a stupid way, like Scary Movie. Why do you have it as your favourite movie of 2008 ? Is it just to create a bit of controversy? I know there are opinions and we all have our own but this seems like a really strange pick, considering Tropic Thunder is simply a better comedy and TDK is a better movie overall. I can't imagine how favouritism would work towards Meet the frigging Spartans lol

It is a really, really bad movie.

Edit: I will say it's a great idea for a thread...might do an easier version for myself lol Maybe my fave every year from 1970 or something

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Same year as Cuckoo's Nest? Damn, I have never heard of this movie.
I'm shocked that you have never even heard of Dog Day Afternoon, but if you've never seen it, please treat yourself.

Great list, False Writer! Enjoyed going through your picks. On the subject of The Warriors, I wonder which version you watched? There is a "Director's Cut," which I avoid like the plague. It's not the version I saw at the theaters when the movie was released. Walter Hill messed with the movie and put comic-book style panels over certain scenes and froze the image, also adding narration "balloons" above the characters. Why he chose to do this, I don't know. The Warriors could be considered a cartoon-like movie due to various gangs and their colors and the simple plot but I don't consider it that. Here is the cover to the Director's Cut, which is the only one available to buy on Amazon, Best Buy, etc.

This is the version to watch, IMO, because it's just a straight-up action movie with no cartoon-panel nonsense:

I got the original version off Ebay. I've also checked out YouTube and all the versions there are the Director's Cut and there's a glare on everyone of them that makes it all but impossible to watch with enjoyment. Anyway, just my suggestion to try getting some other way.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
TCM only plays the original, so I can't help but believe it will be available sometime soon.