False Writer's 57 Favorite Movies by Year (1960-2016)

→ in
Tools    

1972: The Godfather

One of the best films ever. Enough said!

1973: The Sting (VCS: Badlands)

I watched this one rather recently and thought it was fantastic! Redford and Newman are amazing together and this movie is entertaining from start to finish.

1974: The Godfather: Part 2

A perfect sequel to a perfect movie. Though I prefer the first one I still consider Part 2 a crime masterpiece.

1975: Dog Day Afternoon

This is my favorite performance from Al Pacino. An outrageous movie where a simple bank robbery turns into a completely outrageous reality TV show. Just amazing all-around with incredible acting and dialogue.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm not a big fan of The Godfather movies, but The Sting and Dog Day Afternoon are great movies.

Both Godfather's are amazing. I prefer the first one, which is definitely a masterpiece, all the while the second one has taken me a couple of watches to get into. It wasn't until my last viewing I saw it as a extraordinary film and a near masterpiece for sure.

The Sting I just bought recently, can't wait to watch it. Dog Day Afternoon is still on my watchlist as well...

From 68-71. 2001 is amazing, one of the best films i've seen although it took me three viewings to come to love it. Love The Wild Bunch, Army of Shadows would be mine for 69 i think but The Wild Bunch would more than likely be second. Not seen Patton and A Clockwork Orange would also be mine for 71 i think.

The Godfather I and II, and Dog Day Afternoon are among my favourite movies. Not a big fan of The Sting. 1973 would be The Exorcist for me obviously.

Great stuff so far, we agree on a lot of them and The Sting is the only one i don't really like.

1976: Taxi Driver

A legendary film by Scorsese and my favorite performance by De Niro. Is it obvious yet that I'm a huge fan of 70s crime movies?

1977: Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope (VCS: Cross of Iron)

It's very hard not to love Star Wars, and I always have a soft spot for the original films in great series/trilogies. This one introduced so many legendary characters and elements that have made Star Wars one of the most popular movie series to this day.

1978: Watership Down (VCS: Days of Heaven)

An animated film that still strongly resonates with me since the first time I watched it. I'm very happy that it finally has its place in the Criterion Collection.

1979: The Warriors (VCS: Apolcalypse Now)

Still one of the best gang movies I've ever seen. The way The Warriors have to go through so many gangs and turfs gives it almost an adventurous feel. Just a crazy film that still extremely entertaining to watch.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Why don't you make a 1910-1959 list?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Taxi Driver is a near masterpiece at the least. Great cinema right there.

I don't like the first Star Wars that much, but for one that appearently love it, I find it odd that you call it by it's later tagged on tag name and numbering.

Watership Down. Man, that's a brave and different choice. I was almost certain I couldn't be surprised by a list taking the best movie out of an entire year... well, now I know. Anyways, great film, indeed.

Embarrassing, I know, but I haven't seen The Warriors yet.

Why don't you make a 1910-1959 list?
I think you should handle that one.

Taxi Driver is a near masterpiece at the least. Great cinema right there.

I don't like the first Star Wars that much, but for one that appearently love it, I find it odd that you call it by it's later tagged on tag name and numbering.

Watership Down. Man, that's a brave and different choice. I was almost certain I couldn't be surprised by a list taking the best movie out of an entire year... well, now I know. Anyways, great film, indeed.

Embarrassing, I know, but I haven't seen The Warriors yet.
I do like making brave and different choices.

Do watch The Warriors when you get the chance MM, I would love to read your review on it!

Also, I just realized that my 1960-64 reveal is my first post ever to reach 20 reps!!! Thank you all so much for checking this list out, and stay tuned for the rest!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
1976: Taxi Driver

A legendary film by Scorsese and my favorite performance by De Niro. Is it obvious yet that I'm a huge fan of 70s crime movies?

1977: Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope (VCS: Cross of Iron)

It's very hard not to love Star Wars, and I always have a soft spot for the original films in great series/trilogies. This one introduced so many legendary characters and elements that have made Star Wars one of the most popular movie series to this day.

1978: Watership Down (VCS: Days of Heaven)

An animated film that still strongly resonates with me since the first time I watched it. I'm very happy that it finally has its place in the Criterion Collection.

1979: The Warriors (VCS: Apolcalypse Now)

Still one of the best gang movies I've ever seen. The way The Warriors have to go through so many gangs and turfs gives it almost an adventurous feel. Just a crazy film that still extremely entertaining to watch.

I love Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, but I'm not a big fan of Taxi Driver or The Warriors. (But Hubby loves The Warriors.) I still haven't seen Watership Down because I've heard it's very depressing, but it's been on my watchlist for years.

UGH! I had my next set all written-up and ready to post but then accidentally deleted it all... Dang that sucked. I really don't feel like redoing it all so I'll just show you the picks with no writing:

1980: The Shining (VCS: Raging Bull and Empire Strikes Back)

1981: An American Werewolf in London (VCS: Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior)

1982: The Thing

1983: Scarface

I like The Thing. Kinda.

Cool thread, False Writer. Some interesting, outside-the-box choices for some of these years, like with Tokyo Drifter and Zulu.

On average, how many films have you seen from each year?

Cool thread, False Writer. Some interesting, outside-the-box choices for some of these years, like with Tokyo Drifter and Zulu.

On average, how many films have you seen from each year?
Thanks for checking it out Captain!

It's tough to say how many I've seen especially from the late 90s through present day; it's quite a lot though. I'll admit that there are some years in the 60s and 70s where I've only watched maybe about 5 from a year though.

This is my favorite performance from Al Pacino. An outrageous movie where a simple bank robbery turns into a completely outrageous reality TV show. Just amazing all-around with incredible acting and dialogue.
This rep is for Dog Day Afternoon...I did a list of my favorite Pacino performances and this is # 1. I'm one of the few people on the planet that thinks Pacino should have won the Oscar for this over Jack Nicholson for Cuckoo's Nest.

76-79. Taxi Driver would obviously be mine too. Love Star Wars of course and really nice to see Watership Down on one of these lists even though i doubt it would be mine for that year. Not a fan of The Warriors.

80-83. There's a good chance The Shining and The Thing would be mine for those years too. Also really like An American Werewolf In London but i haven't seen it in a while. Don't like Scarface.

I'll admit that there are some years in the 60s and 70s where I've only watched maybe about 5 from a year though.
Same here for the 60's. I have saw a lot of 70's movies though.