Is this a respectable Top 10 Greatest Films List?

→ in
Tools    

I dont know False Writer, Intolerance & Bicycle Thieves seem out of place among those, maybe inserted to make the list look more "smart" I dont know. I mean, Intolerance was made in 1916....now is that really in your top ten?
Absolutely not. I loved Bicycle Thieves and was very impressed with Intolerance. As I already said this is not my 10 personal favorite, but I have a massive amount of respect for both films.

Agree with mark and Daniel. By saying that there's a difference between the greatest movies and your favorite movies, you're kind of implying that there's some governing objectivity to evaluate movies on. Favorites are subjective and greatest are objective or something like that. The problem with this assumption is that it limits the way that you think about movies. I think that understanding why you respond so intensely to a movie is far more important than understanding (and far more difficult) than understanding why a select few movies are held in such esteem. Though I could be reading too much into the purpose of the list.

Side note:What you said about Stagecoach isn't exactly true. It certainly propelled Wayne (who's also great in the earlier Raoul Walsh western, The Big Trail), but Ford was already very well established in Hollywood. He'd been making films since the early teens and had over 100 films under his belt by the time he made Stagecoach. He had even already won an Oscar by then for directing The Informer.
Maybe it's just me, but separating "favorite" and "greatest" just comes easy for me. The influence and impact these films had on the world combined with just how good they are is how I'm able to compile a list like this. Maybe it is wrong to think like that... but I'll still stand by my reasons for making this thread regardless.

I am aware that Wayne, Ford, and the Western genre in general were around well before Stagecoach came out, but it did make all 3 legendary. Even if Ford was excellent beforehand, he was on a whole new level after Stagecoach.

I have to agree with the majority of the posters that the list is kind of safe and predictable...I haven't seen all the films on the list, but know of them and I'll be honest, 2001 bores the hell out of me.

I have to agree with the majority of the posters that the list is kind of safe and predictable...I haven't seen all the films on the list, but know of them and I'll be honest, 2001 bores the hell out of me.
I understand. Just a couple days ago I noticed that my top 3 was the exact same as the AFI 100... after finding that out I really don't blame people for calling it predictable.