The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Kudos to @SpelingError for running this, @Yoda for helping him.

Loved listening to the podcast & an additional thanks to Speiling for running the Group watch.

Here's my ballot.

I enjoyed participating in this. I have picked few films from other people's ballots to watch in the coming days, which didn't make the list, but look intriguing.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-02-13-23-10-29-122-edit_com.brave.browser.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	91552  

I've been so busy recently but I'm delighted to come on here and see that Parasite has won the countdown! It was third on my list and a contender for my top spot!

It's a film that I absolutely love and I've seen a handful of times already. Last year I was invited to give a pre-showing talk at a local cinema where I gave an introduction talking about the career of Bong Joon-ho (one of my favourite directors) and the background of the film.

My review:

If your family is like mine, then the opening scene of Parasite where the various members of the Kim family scour around their family home in search of Wi-Fi will have you immediately laughing. It is a deeply humorous, extremely relatable moment that immediately sets the tone for the film as an insightful dark comedy looking at modern family and class society.

The plot kicks in when Min, a friend of the son of the family, visits and asks Ki-woo to takeover his duties as an English tutor for a young girl from a wealthy family whilst he is temporarily away. Ki-woo has no formal qualifications for the role so naturally questions his friend’s suggestion, but is reassured by the explanation of the situation. The Park family are extremely wealthy, with the mother of the house “simple”, easily gullible. Fooling her won't be a problem.

After successfully duping himself into the role of English tutor for the family with little difficulty, Ki-Woo begins to smell opportunities for the rest of his family also as workers for the Park family. This begins with him hiring his sister, unbeknownst to the Parks, as an art therapist from their son Da-song. The possibility of even greater opportunities grows and the Kim family cannot resist as they become increasingly engrossed, full-heartedly committed to the illusion that they are creating.

How can such an elaborate illusion be maintained? The Kim family debate the reasons why their deception has gone unnoticed - for such a wealthy family the spending of money must be relatively inconsequential. Furthermore, the intelligence of the Park family is repeatedly questioned, the mother and father make decisions for their children based on word of mouth and are happy to hear what they want to hear when it comes to educational decisions. Education, wellbeing, cleanliness, these are commodities to them which they purchase based on reputation like any other good, rather than something they have gained an effort to understand properly. Whilst their lives depend upon the hard work of the working class, families like the Kims continue to struggle to keep control over theirs.

Bong Joon-ho is no stranger to balancing multiple film genres, with films like The Host previously fusing comedy and horror. With Parasite, he manages to create a perfect mixture of comedy, drama and horror. As the first act of the film comes together we already begin to feel dark tension building. There is a feeling of visceral uneasiness that comes with every action, with each added layer of the complex plan feeling as if it is going to bring the illusion crashing to an explosive end.

The film picked up the prestigious Palme d’Or prize at the Cannes film festival, pipping Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to the award and in many ways there are parallels between the two fantastic films. Like Tarantino, Bong creates a biting screenplay combining dark wit with exciting twists and turns. Both directors have asked that details about the plots of their films remain secret as to not ruin the viewing experiences of those who have not yet seen them - this well adhered to policy by cinema goers is one that has definitely benefited my enjoyment of both films and one I am keen to respect myself.

Every scene is exquisitely shot, with dimly lit interiors helping build suspense and uneasiness. The plot largely unfolds at one location, the house of the Park family. Through Bong’s direction, the camera constructs a precise image of what the house looks and feels like, the different rooms and spacious interiors allowing the characters to carry out methodical plans and schemes in a way where surprises are maximised and the close claustrophobia of the setting intensified to an uncomfortable level. I was not surprised to hear that one of the films that Bong has cited as an influence is Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho. As soon as Marion Crane arrives at the Bates Motel there is a feeling of doomed inevitably about her decision to visit this haunted place whose walls seems to enclose a dark mythical power.

Parasite is rightly being recognised with a number of accolades to reward Boon’s fantastically ambitious vision. He is a filmmaker whose stories have seen him tackle numerous dark subjects in creative and captivating ways. Here is a film that with manages to have you laughing out loud, sitting gripped with suspense, and is able to constantly startle you with cinematic excitement in the way that truly great films do. An inspired piece of modern filmmaking.

My list in full:

1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)
2. Rango (2011)
3. Parasite (2019)
4. The Image Book (2018)
5. Ad Astra (2019)
6. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010)
7. The Souvenir (2019)
8. The Hateful Eight (2015)
9. The Handmaiden (2016)
10. Ash Is Purest White (2018)
11. Goodbye to Language 3D (2014)
12. Almayer's Folly (2012)
13. The Deep Blue Sea (2011)
14. Everybody Wants Some (2016)
15. Gone Girl (2014)
16. Passion (2012)
17. Before Midnight (2013)
18. The Lost City of Z (2016)
19. Knight of Cups (2015)
20. Paterson (2016)
21. The Dead Don't Die (2019)
22. Blackhat (2015)
23. Wajib (2017)
24. Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)
25. A Separation (2011)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Searching for Sugar Man, Christopher Robin, Broken, Split, Maps to the Stars, and In This Corner of the World were the 25 pointers which only made it on one ballot.

Brimstone had 29 points since another user put it at #22.
The 25 pointer club goes well with the 1 pointer movies...and there's of course the Outsider 9000 point club! Which I'm a proud member of

Christopher Robin was my #1, and nobody else voted for it, so I'm in the 25 pointer club.

Nine Lives was my one-pointer from the 1 pointer movies.

The placements from my ballot totaled up to 9065 points, so I'm in the Outsider 9000 point club.

I'm a member of all three clubs, plus I only had 3 movies on my list that made the countdown, so I think I may have had the least movies on the countdown too.

I'm a member of all three clubs, plus I only had 3 movies on my list that made the countdown, so I think I may have had the least movies on the countdown too.
Not quite, as I only had two; Gravity and Shutter Island.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Not quite, as I only had two; Gravity and Shutter Island.

I looked at your list, and I haven't even heard of some of the movies on your list. But in addition to Gravity and Shutter Island, I also liked Wreck-It Ralph, The Imitation Game, and Attack the Block.

I finally got around to seeing It's Such a Beautiful Day. I saw the Everything Will be OK short at a film festival many years ago, by the way, so it's about time, huh? I can understand why it placed so high. It has profound, unique and creative takes on a variety of themes, whether it's losing control of your own body, being limited by your genetics, finding beauty and joy in banality or what you'll do or say when you're on your deathbed. On top of that, it goes into the awkwardness of social interaction at one moment and makes you wonder about the meaning of existence in general the next. Its treatment of all these resonated with me on a level that longer and/or larger-budgeted movies I've seen covering the same territory do not meet. I'm not ashamed to admit that there were moments in each segment that hit close to home and/or moved me to tears. Given its barely feature-length runtime, that it's comprised of three short films and that the animation is largely stick figures, it's a pretty special achievement.

Would it have made my ballot? I'm not sure. I don't even know what I would rate it out of 5. It's one of those movies like 2001, Sans Soleil, Mad God, etc. that have a lot to take in and sift through, thus making slapping a numerical rating on it difficult as a result. I settled on 4/5 on Letterboxd, for what it's worth, but that may change. I do know that it will also be one of those "rock in your shoe" movies for me in that I'll probably think about it for a long time afterwards and scenes in it will likely come to mind when I find myself in similar situations as Bill (hopefully not finding myself in the obvious ones - at least later than sooner for some of them - of course).

And here's the spreadsheet. But please note two things:

1) I didn't manually process the tiebreakers here, so it's different. Since all the Top 100 data is already out there, I figure nobody cares and this is just about seeing more of the stuff that didn't make it.

2) It's just the top 500. There were a bit over 800 total but some tech problems have made assembling this a lot more cumbersome than usual.

Either/both things may be rectified at some point in the future, but I figure this is the version that gives most people what they're really interested in, anyway:

Top 500 Films on the 2010s Countdown

And here's the spreadsheet. But please note two things:

1) I didn't manually process the tiebreakers here, so it's different. Since all the Top 100 data is already out there, I figure nobody cares and this is just about seeing more of the stuff that didn't make it.

2) It's just the top 500. There were a bit over 800 total but some tech problems have made assembling this a lot more cumbersome than usual.

Either/both things may be rectified at some point in the future, but I figure this is the version that gives most people what they're really interested in, anyway:

Top 500 Films on the 2010s Countdown
Very cool. Thanks, Yoda!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I haven't been on here in a while, so I was pleasantly surprised to see my review quoted (I hope you excuse my reply being two weeks out). I really need to watch this one some more soon - there's so much care in all the tiny details, it's great to see something on such a large scale so fully realized.

As I mentioned back after Moonrise Kingdom’s reveal, Jim Jarmusch’s Paterson (2016) is on my ballot. Had it towards the end, just three points, but it’s a movie I really groove to. Adam Driver is wonderfully still and confident as the title character, a man living in Paterson, New Jersey who drives a bus but whose real passion is poetry. We see the city and its people through his observant but often detached if bemused gaze, and refreshingly without a trace of misanthropy or sarcasm. He has a girlfriend (Golshifteh Farahani) and a dog and a routine, but while plot-wise there doesn’t seem to be a lot happening Paterson coalesces the small joys and coincidences and beauties all around him into his art. There are some terrific Jarmuschian vignettes along the way (love William Jackson Harper’s bit in the bar), but this is a quietly poetic film about poetry.

Jarmusch has hit some of his highest highs playing within genre, as with Dead Man, Only Lovers Left Alive (in my Top 100 for this decade), and Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, and he can have rare missteps there as well (The Dead Don’t Die), but Paterson is more in line with his signature classics Stranger Than Paradise, Mystery Train, and Night on Earth observing character through their personalities rather than plot. I really tuned in to its wavelength.
I just took a look at Top 500 Films on the 2010s Countdown for the first time and was amused that Jarmuch's Paterson has the distinction of being the lowest scoring film on the most number of ballots. SIX of us MoFos had it on our lists but we all had it low as it totaled just twenty-two points, which put it somewhere around 350 out of 500.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

93/100 seen.

Most if not all of the remaining 7 are already on my watchlist and has been for quite some time. Not that it makes much difference in the fact that I still haven’t seen them…

Well, I did do two new watches and one rewatch in connection to this list and I do hope to get some more done soon.

Apparently, I was the only person who voted for It. It was my number 2, and It only got 24 points. Y'all people are lamos.