The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Still waiting for that dark horse
Yeah, I still kinda don't think Whiplash is there, but we will know very shortly.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hey, I did my part and voted for Shin Godzilla. Clearly not enough to make a difference, but still.
You’re doing the Lord’s work.

Blue Ruin (2013). Written and directed by Jeremy Saulnier, whose also excellent and even bloodier Green Room is in my top hundred for the decade, it is an efficiently mean, pulpy Neo Noir about the cost of revenge and family secrets. It stars Macon Blair as a drifter who learns about the impending release of the man who murdered his parents twenty years ago. He makes his way back to his Virginia hometown and follows him and his family from the prison gates to a restaurant where he promptly stabs and kills the newly sprung man in the bathroom...and that is only the beginning.
Blue Ruin is excellent. It wasn't on my list, but it was a hard one to leave off.

I haven't seen The Social Network, despite fully understanding the "what it's about/how it's about it" dynamic.

One from my list (at #23) that I thought might just have an outside chance was Kubo and the Two Strings, a visually stunning, heartfelt mish-mash of fantastical action and well-realized family dynamics. It's incredibly impressive and moving from beginning to end, and it has the nerve to end its story in a very complex, slightly-melancholy place. It's a kids movies that doesn't pander or assume that children can't handle emotional complexity and a bit of sadness.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yeah, I still kinda don't think Whiplash is there, but we will know very shortly.
I'd like to be skeptical, but I have no idea what the hell else would be so damn high up here. Not to mention Whiplash wouldn't have even made it to 130.

10/95 on the list
54/95 seen

Blade Runner 2049: haven't seen it. Tried to watch and was almost immediately turned off by the dessicated look of the film. Ridley Scott's LA is so juicy. What is this desert? Frankly, i didn't care. Maybe I will see it sometime, but maybe I won't. Nothing anyone has said has drawn me to it.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: saw it and not on my ballot. I thought it was pretty dull. Especially, the parts with Margot Robbie. The Sharon Tate sequences were pretty dull. Sharon goes to see her movie and is happy with it. What? Beautiful women and actors are notoriously nit-picky about their looks and performance. You would think Tarantino didn't know any women or actors. I enjoyed following Brad Pitt around. His character was effortlessly cool. To me that was the only interesting part of the movie. The ending was just stupid.

The Social Network: saw it and not on my ballot. I liked this movie a
lot when I first saw it. I tried re-watching it but wasn't as sucked in as I was the first time. So I bailed. Now I have only seen a lot of the movies on my ballot once but they live rent free in my head so that is why they are on my list. Though I think I would have chose I, Tonya over Frances Ha if I had to do it over.

Here's my prediction for what will show on my ballot

1. Silver Lining's Playbook (2012)
2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
3. Birdman (2014)
4. highly unlikely
5. no way in h ll
6. highly likely
7. I Am Not Your Negro (2017)
8. probably not
9. don't think so
10. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
11. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
12. don't know
13. 12 Years a Slave (2013)
14. should but won't
15. probably not
16. The Descendants (2011)
17. Frances Ha (2013)
18. it should but won't
19. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
20. Get Out (2017)
21. Spotlight (2015)
22. probably not
23. Boyhood (2014)
24. probably not
25. don't think so

My List  

Was gonna reveal my #21 yesterday. Well, today's a good day as any to reveal that I had Black Panther in my spot.

The film had me from the opening minutes as we walk into the modern world of Wakanda which is camouflaged as a third world country to fool outsiders. Chadwick Boseman assumes command from his opening minutes as T'Challa, heir apparent to Wakanda's kingdom. He uses mercy and compassion in his reign which may be threatened by Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan), a Navy SEAL who might have some issues related to T'Challa's father's past. Not your standard corporate baddie like the other Marvels I've seen, but someone who's actually a threat, has some points in his plans that aren't bad and is just about as compelling as the lead.

Plus, my heart is always gonna go out and just feel for Boseman. The reaction some moviegoers got on the Tonight Show when he surprised them and greeted them leaves you with a warm feeling inside. Plus, he was probably in pain at the time, but the effortless way he smiled and made others smile makes me feel like he's one of the real ones. RIP.

Was gonna reveal my #21 yesterday. Well, today's a good day as any to reveal that I had Black Panther in my spot.

The film had me from the opening minutes as we walk into the modern world of Wakanda which is camouflaged as a third world country to fool outsiders.

This is one of the few super hero/action movies I have seen in recent years. Most amazing thing about that movie is the pure star power we see in it. Everybody in that film is capable of carrying a movie all on their own. The charisma of the actors in that film is just insane.

I'm not keen on biopics or Andrew Garfield and I detest Facebook. So I've always steered clear of the Social Network! Maybe I should watch it!
Don't listen to Holden, Yoda or anyone else singing its praises. The movie is just two hours of Jesse Eisenberg staring at his monitor, occasionally refreshing his browser to see if a girl accepted his friend request. Things don't get exciting until near the end when his grandmother tags him in an embarrassing family photo and his dad posts misinformation on his wall about the COVID vaccine. The movie ends with everyone bonding over a funny cat meme.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Before the countdown started I thought for sure Your Name and Dunkirk would be there, but they aren't. Likes don't necessarily translate into votes when there are only 25 spots.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Well, I guess I'll join everybody in sharing some of the ones that didn't make it from my list...

#24. A LATE QUARTET
(2012, Zilberman)

Nice to see some other knows this movie and even voted for it.

I've discovered it years ago by chance while scanning the Philip Seymour's filmography. Definitely, one of my top 100 of the decade though not a contender for my ballot.

Blue Ruin (2013). Written and directed by Jeremy Saulnier, whose also excellent and even bloodier Green Room is in my top hundred for the decade, it is an efficiently mean, pulpy Neo Noir about the cost of revenge and family secrets. It stars Macon Blair as a drifter who learns about the impending release of the man who murdered his parents twenty years ago. He makes his way back to his Virginia hometown and follows him and his family from the prison gates to a restaurant where he promptly stabs and kills the newly sprung man in the bathroom...and that is only the beginning.

It was twentieth on my ballot.
Great film indeed that I'm glad other people voted for. I had it at #16.

And right in front of that, I actually had The Social Network, at #15.

Social Network is very good, and probably one of Fincher's better movies. And it's not a movie about servicing the fans of awful social media. It's a character study about the ironic contrast about the least likeable, basically friendless person in the world positioning himself at the center of everyone else's relationships and love lives and (in retrospect) us understanding what a disaster that has turned out to be. It's a movie about how this kind of person now has such an influence over so many lives when he should have probably just been pushed into a corner and ignored by all of humanity.

So it's good. But I'm truly surprised that it's a top 10er

And I still think The Conjuring (2013) may be a big surprise reveal. Top Five seems insane to me, but the Horror fans are a big voting block in these lists and for it to have placed as the highest movie from this decade on the recent Horror reboot just in 2019 and then fall so far down that it isn't even in the Top 130 seems suspicious to me. I understand the parade of sequels may have tarnished some of its luster, but I will not be completely shocked if it pops up tomorrow. Disappointed, but not shocked. The lists don't often change THAT drastically over just a few years.

But all will be revealed shortly.

The truth is in here
I don't think The Conjuring will appear. Avengers: Infinity War didn't and that one I thought for sure was a deadlock. However, I was wrong about Once Upon A Time In Hollywood not appearing, so don't quote this post later to reveal what a fool I am.

Nice to see some other knows this movie and even voted for it.

I've discovered it years ago by chance while scanning the Philip Seymour's filmography. Definitely, one of my top 100 of the decade though not a contender for my ballot.

Whiplash is definitely there.