MoFo Movie Roulette

Tools    

You know I love those films too. You gotta see this one. It's pretty sick. That Lawrence Tierney was something else: cold blooded.
I'm not familiar with Lawrence Tierney. I'm hoping someday we do a MoFo Top 100 Noir countdown so I go bone up on those underseen classics.

The trick is not minding
I'm not familiar with Lawrence Tierney. I'm hoping someday we do a MoFo Top 100 Noir countdown so I go bone up on those underseen classics.
This was my hope as well!
Looks like it may not happen this time around.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I was finally able to finish La Dolce Vita. I'm having a hard time with the rating, because I know part of the experience wasn't really related to the film. I mean, I guess the runtime isn't my fault, but I did choose to watch the three hour film. I didn't have three straight hours to dedicate to the film, so I had to watch it in chunks. The early part of the film wasn't necessarily inspiring me to keep going, because the idea of the three hours was daunting early on. It's a technically brilliant film, so there was always going to be a high floor for La Dolce Vita in my eyes. It felt every bit of the three hour runtime, but there were segments that really, really worked for me. The party that Nico took Marcello to felt Bunelian, which works for me. I probably would have enjoyed the film more if the rest of the film was this absurd. The absurdity probably would not have worked for the Steiner scene that followed, but I was asking for a different movie all together with my desire for Bunuel-style Fellini. I can't sleep on the technical brilliance of this film, even though I wasn't gripped all the way through.
A very interesting review with a few points I'll have in mind when watching this for the 24th HoF. Glad that you did enjoy the brilliance of it.
I'll be following up with your Rec for me.

I, Tonya (2017)

This was a completely happy surprise. On a few levels.
I mean, I KNEW both Margot Robbie (Tonya) and Allison Janney (her mom, LaVona) would f@ckin nail it.

Which they did.

But this, after researching, appears to be the 95% of the stuff we, as the viewers of the Media Circus that it was, knew zero about.
Thinking back I do remember chuckling about how, if an Olympic bound Skater was going to get her knee broken via an assailant with a baton, it would, of course, ideally, occur in Detroit. My home.

At the time, we were told by the Circus (Media) that Nancy was a princess, (leaving out that she is the preferred persona of what the Skating World insisted upon and judged even higher than actual ability/prowess). That Tonya was an evil troll that must have felt threatened by Nancy Kerrigan. (She wasn't).
We were NOT informed how the Skating World snubbed the superior skater that Tonya was, (the only American to successfully perform the Triple Axle in competition) because she was a dirt poor redneck who used music like ZZ Top when she competed as opposed to the normal/accepted Classical music, and had to hand sew her outfits instead of having someone willing to spend $5000 plus on one.
She wasn't a princess and refused to act like one.

We get the unabridged story in a Coen-Esque, mockumentary that neither glamorizes nor sympathizes with this tough woman who was continually beaten on by, as a child, her mom, and then, from her mid-teens to the incident, by her (ex)husband.
"The Incident" was, in all likelihood, set up by the stupidity of her ex and his idiot, delusional friend, who was Tonya's bodyguard;
who lived with his parents.
It was supposed to have been a threatening letter only. Something Tonya had received in a Death Threat, previously. Instead of what occurred by the numbskulls that were the bodyguard's "crew'.

A d@mn good movie that gave this person, who easily remembers all the Media's attacks and the following ridicule that we all contributed to at the time, what we were never told at that time, or afterward, until now.

THANKS JJ!

You know I love those films too. You gotta see this one. It's pretty sick. That Lawrence Tierney was something else: cold blooded.
This was my hope as well!
Looks like it may not happen this time around.
I've only seen Lawernce Tierney in Reservoir Dogs

and always wanted to see more of him in earlier roles. So I may need to check this one out as well.
:::EDIT:: The more I look into it, the more I want to see this. Found it on YouTube and it's a really good copy.

And yeah, a Noir Countdown would be pretty f@ckin cool!

Is that Lawrence Tierney up there? I believe he was in Star Trek Next Generation as a holodeck projected character from a Dixon Hill novel. Cyrus Redbluff? or some name that is close to that.

Is that Lawrence Tierney up there? I believe he was in Star Trek Next Generation as a holodeck projected character from a Dixon Hill novel. Cyrus Redbluff? or some name that is close to that.
That's the man!
From what I understand, Lawrence Tierney was also a real life badass.
I've heard the same. Can't remember the details, but yeah.

[Born to Kill] I've only seen Lawernce Tierney in Reservoir Dogs

and always wanted to see more of him in earlier roles. So I may need to check this one out as well.
:::EDIT:: The more I look into it, the more I want to see this. Found it on YouTube and it's a really good copy.
You're going to love this movie, bro. Vintage Tierney. And yes, he was a genuine tough guy brawler in real life.

You're going to love this movie, bro. Vintage Tierney. And yes, he was a genuine tough guy brawler in real life.
just finished watching this -- excellent film! Tierney was top-notch in this and a HELLUVA supporting cast to boot.

Days of Wine & Roses (1958)
Chosen by Citizen Rules

I never knew there was another version besides the 1962 movie with Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick. This one stars Cliff Robertson and Piper Laurie. Charles Bickford stars in both as the woman's father.

Apparently this was a made for TV movie that was a combination of live and pre-taped direction from John Frankenhooker. It's the story of an alcoholic couple, a story I can relate to from my past. I thought this version was a good deal better. A big reason is the format; it makes it all seem so much more real and intimate, and it's a tough and all too common story anyway. It doesn't have the greatest print and I watched it on Prime. The lesser picture probably adds to the impact, but the sound could be better. A very nice pick for me.

Just read your profile and happy to see a fellow "Detroiter". So, my three suggestions center around our great city.

"True Romance" ('93 - Tony Scott)

In Detroit, a lonely pop culture geek marries a call girl, steals cocaine from her pimp, and tries to sell it in Hollywood. Meanwhile, the owners of the cocaine, the Mob, track them down in an attempt to reclaim it.

"White Boy Rick" ('18 - Yann Demange)

The story of teenager Richard Wershe Jr., who became an undercover informant for the FBI during the 1980s and was ultimately arrested for drug-trafficking and sentenced to life in prison.

"Narc" ('02 - Joe Carnahan)

When the trail goes cold on a murder investigation of a policeman an undercover narcotics officer is lured back to the force to help solve the case.

RocknRolla (2008) A relatively unknown, early Guy Ritchie film that you may get a kick out of.
This be my choice.

The Final Solution: The Wannsee Conference (1984) Did not see this, but did see that you commented that it was on your Watchlist, so. . . Just watched a film called "Conspiracy". Which is about the very exact subject matter. So pass...

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) I have tried, on multiple cases, to try to get into Wes Anderson and this, THIS, is the shining exception that I continually rewatch and love. The quirky comedic aspects just might be up your alley, should you not have seen this already.
Not a fan of Wes, tried a few of his films. Not a fan of his style. So pass...

Days of Wine & Roses (1958)
Chosen by Citizen Rules

I never knew there was another version besides the 1962 movie with Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick. This one stars Cliff Robertson and Piper Laurie. Charles Bickford stars in both as the woman's father.

Apparently this was a made for TV movie that was a combination of live and pre-taped direction from John Frankenhooker. It's the story of an alcoholic couple, a story I can relate to from my past. I thought this version was a good deal better. A big reason is the format; it makes it all seem so much more real and intimate, and it's a tough and all too common story anyway. It doesn't have the greatest print and I watched it on Prime. The lesser picture probably adds to the impact, but the sound could be better. A very nice pick for me.

I had been thinking about that movie for you ever since I joined the HoFs. Once you talked about wanting to see really great movies about alcoholics and I always thought this one rang true. I had a friend who was an alcoholic all of his adult life and was very much like Cliff Robertson in his personality. His wife had a lot in common with Piper Laurie and added to his misery. It's kind of sad thinking about that, so I will just say glad you liked it.

Just read your profile and happy to see a fellow "Detroiter". So, my three suggestions center around our great city.

"True Romance" ('93 - Tony Scott)

In Detroit, a lonely pop culture geek marries a call girl, steals cocaine from her pimp, and tries to sell it in Hollywood. Meanwhile, the owners of the cocaine, the Mob, track them down in an attempt to reclaim it.

"White Boy Rick" ('18 - Yann Demange)

The story of teenager Richard Wershe Jr., who became an undercover informant for the FBI during the 1980s and was ultimately arrested for drug-trafficking and sentenced to life in prison.

"Narc" ('02 - Joe Carnahan)

When the trail goes cold on a murder investigation of a policeman an undercover narcotics officer is lured back to the force to help solve the case.
Very COOL!
Let's see, I own True Romance and seen it countless times and I've enjoyed Narc the couple of times I've seen it so it looks like I'll be checking out White Boy Rick. Curious to see how close to the truth they come. Have you seen this one?

Also, hope you enjoy RocknRolla

About "White Boy Rick", without giving up anything. When this went down, I was living in Hazel Park and working in Warren. I think this film does the story justice. I'm biased because its a local story, but some say the film drags in parts. I disagree...

Let the night air cool you off
I watched Sophie's Place. Normally, I am a big fan of experimental animation, but in my experience it works best in short film form. I do believe if I was given a Larry Jordan short film as an option instead of this feature, I may have enjoyed it. But at 80 minutes it overstayed its welcome with me. I don't really have a problem with crude animation, but since I can't really grasp what any of the symbolism mean, the animation has to reach a certain standard to work for me. It doesn't reach that with me. As far as abstract, highly symbolic, experimental animated films go, Suzan Pitt's Asparagus is much more my style than this film.

Sorry @Allaby. I wish I would have enjoyed it more, but I do appreciate you offering it up to me. I do think it deserves credit for being original and not trying to be mainstream in any way.

I watched Sophie's Place. Normally, I am a big fan of experimental animation, but in my experience it works best in short film form. I do believe if I was given a Larry Jordan short film as an option instead of this feature, I may have enjoyed it. But at 80 minutes it overstayed its welcome with me. I don't really have a problem with crude animation, but since I can't really grasp what any of the symbolism mean, the animation has to reach a certain standard to work for me. It doesn't reach that with me. As far as abstract, highly symbolic, experimental animated films go, Suzan Pitt's Asparagus is much more my style than this film.

Sorry @Allaby. I wish I would have enjoyed it more, but I do appreciate you offering it up to me. I do think it deserves credit for being original and not trying to be mainstream in any way.
That's alright. It is an unusual, strange film so I can understand your feeling that way.

About "White Boy Rick", without giving up anything. When this went down, I was living in Hazel Park and working in Warren. I think this film does the story justice. I'm biased because its a local story, but some say the film drags in parts. I disagree...
An East Sider! NICE! Grew up in Center Line. Was in Warren during that time. With a 6 month stint living near 7 & Gratiot in an upper flat. Had a buddy in Grosse Pointe who actually met him at a house he would stop by at, once upon a time.

I was researching the Truth vs Film last night and noticed something they really downplayed at the time and afterward around here. At least I don't remember hearing of it. Or perhaps I simply just missed it and wasn't paying attention. Which was the info he had on corrupt cops/officials. We all knew Gill was dirty, along with -- well, pretty much everyone from Da Mayor on down. But no one talked about Wershe helping on that level. Only that he ratted on Curry and a few others and that he got left in the wind after squealing on his "friends".
It certainly explains why he was locked up without parole for so godd@mn long instead of getting Witness Protection.