MoFo Movie Roulette

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Post your reviews whenever you watch the films. I will log the scores.

Cricket - 4

Suspect's Reviews

here ya go, @pahaK. I was shooting kinda blind here for ya, hopefully one of them catches your eye.

Millennium Actress 2001
Sunset Boulevard 1950
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

Also, I think I'm gonna give The Nightingale (2018) a shot. While I do know and have heard it is on the brutal side it does look pretty amazing visually.
I think I'll go with Sunset Boulevard. Noir has been a hit and miss for me, but if it's as bitter and cynical as the reviews seem to say, I might like it.

I watched Sunset Blvd. this morning. I'll post a review soonish (still need to finish one for the current HoF before), but I actually liked it. Not great, but pretty good. Also, not exactly what I expected but more of that in the full review.

I just finished the movie that was picked for me, Sundays and Cybele. I'm getting tired so I'll post my thoughts and rating after work tomorrow.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I watched Sunset Blvd. this morning. I'll post a review soonish (still need to finish one for the current HoF before), but I actually liked it. Not great, but pretty good. Also, not exactly what I expected but more of that in the full review.
I knew it was gonna be a hit or miss and had hoped it would be closer to the hit side of things with a little more to offer for ya. And "pretty good" works for me.

Gonna try to check out yours either tomorrow or Thursday night. It's actually on Hulu so I have it line up, ready to go.

Let the night air cool you off
I watched Dancer in the Dark. Man. I'm somewhere between
and
. For the life of me, I could not figure out why Selma wouldn't speak up to save herself, and I was chalking it up as maybe I was just missing the point. But as we got further into The Passion of Bjork, I realized that just like with Jesus and just like with Joan of Arc, this had to happen. I might be underrating this, but if we are going with half-points, I'll go with
, but if we are going whole numbers only, I'll go

Bjork is the best crier in the history of cinema.

Personally, I consider Sunset Boulevard to be a great movie, but that’s just me.

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

Billy Wilder made an interesting mix of film noir, gothic horror, and drama. Its narrator is straight from Chandler's pages, but he's not telling us about criminals but weird inhabitants of an old mansion who'd be at home in some Hammer film. Those two are glued together with some love and jealousy. It's an odd mix, but it works surprisingly well.

I'm not generally a fan of narrators or stories that start from the end. In here, both work to a degree. Still, I don't fully agree with the inclusion of the opening scene. It trades some of the suspense (especially in the first half when we're still led to believe that Gillis is the bad guy of the story) for an early entrance of the ironic narrator. I think I could have lived without either.

Despite these taste mismatches, I found Sunset Boulevard well written and entertaining. It wasn't nearly as cynical as IMDb led me to believe, though. The acting was pretty great too (I'd kinda want to say that Swanson was overacting, but then again, she was supposed to be a silent film actress caught in her role). A very positive start for these games.

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

I'm not generally a fan of narrators or stories that start from the end. In here, both work to a degree. Still, I don't fully agree with the inclusion of the opening scene. It trades some of the suspense (especially in the first half when we're still led to believe that Gillis is the bad guy of the story) for an early entrance of the ironic narrator. I think I could have lived without either.
Glad to hear you liked it. On the first watch I thought Sunset Blvd was silly, then on a second watch I thought it was all kinds of great. As far as the opening reveal goes, it's in league with classic film noir as the Hays Code was in effect at that time so any bad guy needed to pay for his crimes by either dying or going to jail. Of course Gillis isn't really the bad guy, but another aspect of noir is 'circumstance' where an average guy finds himself stuck in a circumstance that leds to his doom. That came out of soldier's fatalism in WWII, where they excepted that: if your time was up then you're doomed. Without WWII they'd be no noir. Who knew war was good for something!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
and
. For the life of me, I could not figure out why Selma wouldn't speak up to save herself, and I was chalking it up as maybe I was just missing the point. But as we got further into The Passion of Bjork, I realized that just like with Jesus and just like with Joan of Arc, this had to happen. I might be underrating this, but if we are going with half-points, I'll go with

You can do halves.

Sundays and Cybele (1962)
Chosen by Allaby

I'd be curious to know why Allaby picked this for me since we just met and I have a fake just for fun top 10. I was excited to watch it as I didn't recall hearing of it before, and it has some acclaim, such as winning the Oscar for best foreign film.

I don't remember seeing a movie like this before. In short, a war veteran with PTSD and a 12 year old girl have a relationship. It's not what you would think though, although that's a strong idea in the film. It's sad and even sweet, and it becomes more and more emotional all the way up to the final shot.

This is a movie that one could watch and just follow the narrative, or it could be discussed and dissected. I generally prefer the first option but it's nice to have both options. This was a brilliant movie that surprised the hell out of me. A possible future HoF nomination that I feel like I may be underrating.

and

Glad you liked it. Never was really a fan of the "musical" Bjork, but she really was stellar in her role here. Von Trier really needs more love.

Dancer in the Dark might be something I'd like. How about it Cricket?
Probably, but not much else from that director. I figured you've seen it because I believe it was nominated for a Hall of Fame before.

Sundays and Cybele (1962)
Chosen by Allaby

I'd be curious to know why Allaby picked this for me since we just met and I have a fake just for fun top 10. I was excited to watch it as I didn't recall hearing of it before, and it has some acclaim, such as winning the Oscar for best foreign film.

I don't remember seeing a movie like this before. In short, a war veteran with PTSD and a 12 year old girl have a relationship. It's not what you would think though, although that's a strong idea in the film. It's sad and even sweet, and it becomes more and more emotional all the way up to the final shot.

This is a movie that one could watch and just follow the narrative, or it could be discussed and dissected. I generally prefer the first option but it's nice to have both options. This was a brilliant movie that surprised the hell out of me. A possible future HoF nomination that I feel like I may be underrating.

Glad you liked it! I picked it for you because it’s one of my all time favourites and a lot of people haven’t seen it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Sunset Boulevard (1950)

Billy Wilder made an interesting mix of film noir, gothic horror, and drama. Its narrator is straight from Chandler's pages, but he's not telling us about criminals but weird inhabitants of an old mansion who'd be at home in some Hammer film. Those two are glued together with some love and jealousy. It's an odd mix, but it works surprisingly well.

Despite these taste mismatches, I found Sunset Boulevard well written and entertaining. It wasn't nearly as cynical as IMDb led me to believe, though. The acting was pretty great too (I'd kinda want to say that Swanson was overacting, but then again, she was supposed to be a silent film actress caught in her role). A very positive start for these games.

That you were entertained works for me.