Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Halloween (2018)

Blue Is The Warmest Color (2013)

★★★★★★★★

8/10. Bravo! Could very well be my best film of 2013. Highly recommended if you're a heterosexual male.
Well I am a proud heterosexual male but to be honest the thing that I was most impressed with – from what I've seen – is the palpable romantic love between the characters. That sort of intensity on screen is quite rare I think.

Snooze factor rating = Zzzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

This might just do nobody any good.
A Star is Born (2018)

I’ll take the bait. Very impressive all around but, gotta be honest, I felt for Sam Elliott more than I did for anyone else.

The Last Dragon 1985
★★★★★ Watched 21 Oct, 2018

The Last Dragon is ultimately about the challenges of living authentically whether that be as a pacifist in a violent environment or as an artist with integrity in a superficial industry. Michael Schultz offers up an absurd mash-up of genres and tropes and periods while incorporating a refreshing sense of sincerity. There's real dignity here amidst the silliness. What you might expect to be exploitative is instead celebratory. It's playful and hilarious and sweet and thoughtful and, perhaps most importantly, impeccably well paced.

Drugstore Cowboy 1989
★★★★ Watched 22 Oct, 2018

Bob Hughes' farcical vision quest is told in a calming rasp. The camera is stuck in the present, but like memories, there's an assuring wisdom lent to their interpretation. At points, it has the trappings of something you'd expect from the Coens or PTA or Tarantino, but Van Sant never strains to entertain his audience as they do. He's not interested in being a showman, and the experience is all the more intimate for it.

Are you sure Redwell? It looks a bit cheesy....

Man, check out the cornball!

He ain't no cornball!
He's my brother and he's the Master!

Welcome to the human race...
A movie can be cheesy and earn five stars, especially if it features a character named Sho Nuff.

Unregistered User

Lady Snowblood (1973)

+

Really enjoyed this. So entertaining and easy to see how Tarantino was influenced.

Ozark

Felt a little like I shouldn't like it but I did. Plot lines are totally over the top but the acting performances and nice scenery certainly make up for it.

Ozark

Felt a little like I shouldn't like it but I did. Plot lines are totally over the top but the acting performances and nice scenery certainly make up for it.

I felt the same about the 1st season. I've watched 2 or 3 of the 2nd season and it's been poor. Do I bin it or persevere?

Lady Snowblood (1973)
+
You should give the sequel a whirl now, it's not as good imo but still worth a squint.

My biggest problem with Galveston (2018), and most modern New Orleans set crime movies, is that its gangsters exists solely in a vacuum; with the movie's hand far from the pulse of the realities of the culture of New Orleans and its underworld. Filmed in Savannah, the film also lacks the atmosphere and singular architecture that both New Orleans and Galveston both have to offer. Though New Orleans and Savannah both have similar styled old world architecture, we are only shown barrooms and swamps, and we only know the beginning is set in New Orleans because a title card tells us. The portrayal of Galveston is worse. What is literally a Noir island with its downtown Art Deco architecture intact, is reduced to empty back streets and poverty stricken motels. Directed well enough by actress turned director Mélanie Laurent and acted more than well enough by Ben Foster and Elle Fanning (the part of gang boss Stan is wasted on Beau Bridges and his terrible accent), Galveston suffers from a clumsy and directionless script, which Nic Pizzolatto adapted from his own novel. If you're a carpetbagger or live North of I-10, Galveston may be entertaining enough, but residents of both New Orleans and Galveston will be disappointed in the lack of character their cites are given, leaving Galveston to be a better than average, but ultimately disposable, Gulf Coast set crime film.

RATING: