Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Shining (1980) (Dir. Stanley Kubrick)

Where as Full Metal Jacket was a film about the imperial present, The Shining confronted our colonial past. The Overlook Hotel, like the United States at large, was built on the land of those dispossessed by genocide making it the perfect setting for a film about inheriting a legacy of violence.

The Witch

I had been wanting to see this for awhile. Usually hyped horror movies don't live up to the hype, in my opinion, but I thought this one did. Might have to bone up on my English a little as I needed subtitles to figure out what the heck was being said most of time.
Was it the antiquated language or the accents?

Last movie watched...

The Brood -

an MRA's favourite horror movie
I remember that being decent.

I had been wanting to see this for awhile. Usually hyped horror movies don't live up to the hype, in my opinion, but I thought this one did. Might have to bone up on my English a little as I needed subtitles to figure out what the heck was being said most of time.
As far as I remember I watched this one without the subtitles, not thinking it was nearly as bad as people were making it out to be in regards to the difficult accent.

Anyways, solid little horror indeed.

Di je Karlo?

Pain and Gain (2013) - 71/100

At its best, it's a funny and cathartic satire with good visuals and music. At its worst, it's mind-numbing. Though, the good does considerably outweigh the bad.

Even though the presentation is flawed, I think the story itself is pretty great. Just the fact that it had to remind you twice that it's a true story speaks for itself.

Michael Bay clearly tried to emulate Scorsese's style, and for who's supposed to be a terrible director (I haven't seen any of his other films), he did a good job. If handled by Scorsese himself, Pain & Gain could've been amazing (as in on Raging Bull and Goofellas' level), but as it stands, it's just good.

Who can kill a Child/Quién puede matar a un niño? (1976)

A good nasty little Spanish thriller that, unfortunately, tries to grasp moral virtue (the opening footage is not needed and crass). The remainder did not require it. I still liked the idea that adult indifference could lead to wholly bigger troubles. 7.5/10.

Bad Times at the El Royale (2018)

About 10 years ago Drew Goddard made Cabin in the Woods, this is his second film. I'm not sure what genre you would call this many seem to think of this as a Tarantino clone because of the excessive violence, chapter structure, and excessive monologues . Though for me this felt more like a love letter to Hitchcock, this is the film he would have made in the late 70's when horror exploitation just really ramping up.

Basically this is the story of 4 guests who check into a room at this special hotel in Nevada/California. Like Hitchcock it's very much a series of suspense set pieces tied together with a lot of exposition with much of the horror coming off screen left to you imagination.

Goddard leans a little to far into social justice issues...surprise the black girl is the only moral one of the group! Though she's hardly treated like a lead or final girl.

Absolutely perfect in every way.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I've noticed a lot of reviews saying that Gosling's stoic or lackluster performance is a shortcoming of this movie. All reports on Armstrong indicate that he was this type of man. Literally the archetype of what you want in a person that could deal with being flung into space in a severely under-engineered bucket of bolts knowing you have a 50/50 chance of dying and still maintaining a level of calm that allows you to operate.

Always enjoy your write-ups Luis.
Thanks for saying you enjoy the write-ups!

And yeah, I pointed up in the review how it wasn't really a problem for me given what you pin-pointed about Armstrong himself. I did feel like bringing up how it might be a problem because I have seen reviews pointing it out.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Red Army
I was real into it, but I would have liked to have heard more than just anti-Russian stuff. Would have been nice for someone there to defend them. For example, during perestroika, I'm sure many Russians thought, "You became the hockey player because we funded, trained, and had a collective system so all our players could succeed, and the minute we're struggling, you defect and make millions elsewhere" --- when I was overseas making money, I had to pay double-tax. Every country has laws, but unfortunately you really only got one side... If you know of a counter-documentary, I'd love to see it.

Breaking Vegas is a fairly decent counter-docudrama if that helps at all

Was it the antiquated language or the accents?
It was mostly just the father that I had trouble with. Unfortunately, he was kind of a major character. Something about his voice, deep and gravelly, combined with the accent that I just couldn't get.

Absolutely perfect in every way.
Happy movie with a positive-vibe ending, love that.

When Hollyweird used to actually be fun!

Se7en (1995)

First time I've seen this, brilliantly put together by Fincher. The chemistry between Pitt and Freeman is excellent. It's a bit of a posh pulpy novel but doesn't suffer from that. The pay-off was indeed superb. 9/10

Massacre Mafia Style (1974)

Grindhouse mafia flick that's not your typical good movie but rather just a lot of fun. Really funny dialogue and style with plenty of killing and hot babes.

Stargate starring Kurt Russell -- 4.0 / 5

Annabelle (2014)

Garbage "true story" about haunting...rubbishy faux "real" backstory. When the doll levitates (be this imagined or real) I just rolled around. Finished it but just. 2/10.