Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Mean Creek: 2004

You know those movies where you have a feeling near the start that it's gonna get really f*cked up towards the end?

That feeling isn't wrong...
Sounds like fun.
I like Bully better, same story, more f*cked up.

Feel like i should hate Bully but i like it quite a bit too, i liked it more than Kids. Mean Creek i was lukewarm on, i dunno outside the actual incident all of the kids depress the hell out of me which is supposed to be the point obviously. I actually find that more fcked up because
WARNING: "bully and mean creek" spoilers below
we don't get to see that kid as a bully really until right before he's killed when he feels cornered and he clearly has serious problems, felt pretty bad for him. The bully in Bully is completely vile and he actually seems to have a good life so i was kinda whatever when he was killed. I agree it's more fcked up in a graphic sense though.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Thanks. I might swap because Michael Pitt is in it.

Touch of Evil: 1958

"It does for car boots what Jaws did to the ocean"-Some guy from a stupid newspaper.
A stark, perverse story of murder, kidnapping, and police corruption in a Mexican border town.
LOL. Sounds like good fun.

There Will Be Blood (2007)
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

Plot Discussion Below - Spoilers

I kept going back to this movie every few years because I wasn't mentally accepting of it's qualities. Recently I've felt able to take it in again and assess it properly.

Though I do not feel that this is a very important story, I enjoyed this film a lot. It's slow but never dull. The music employs an odd percussiveness and pizzicato string section that pours a tense molasses-like nausea over the proceedings.

Daniel Day-Lewis portrays a straightforward but terrifying tycoon impossibly well. His slow descent into madness and self realization followed by a blinding denial is amazing. His nemesis is any form of competition, namely himself. The smart people are well advised to keep their distance from him, not least of which his son, who was deafened early on in his young life by an explosion of virgin oil spring.

Tycoon Plainview has his shlt list, and at the top of this list is a vain charlatan priest who taunts Lewis's character from day one, starting with a finder's fee, and later with guilt trips. Plainview relaxedly dismisses and snubs this priest, later physically punishing him like a rag doll, because he knows, and he has known, that this man of God is just a boy. A prickly, bothersome, self centered snake in the grass. He has no respect for him, and his satanic tendencies are able to be carried out in half swing, throughout a strong decade of resentment, until the bell tolls for both of them.

Anderson's direction is as bold and precise as any great director of the ages. How else can an actor with chops like Lewis inhabit such a beast man without a freedom and commitment from a director who knows exactly how to milk his cast, and how to capture such nuance in his characters, right down to the demonic growl of a whisky and nicotine stained vocal chord, bubbling like cold oil at the thought of a son becoming a sole entity for oil drilling?

That's a long question, and this is a long movie. It's a drawn out study and a dirty little comedy. It's true that Daniel Day embodies that of a Larry David persona so well when he spouts out his well sharpened dialog, just as Paul Dano's possessed man child voice frying gets under the skin so much that one cannot help but start giggling. Many may think that this is solely a dramatic work, but a closer inspection reveals that Anderson's writing is filled with jokes and riffs that simply cannot have been concocted without a madman sense of humor.

I picture PTA up late at night, after a few too many lines of cocaine, furiously writing and laughing passionately with a charcoal crayon over plain white paper, sweating, drinking, talking on the phone set to speaker, using a yes man personal assistant as a spring board. Someone paid to listen and agree. This may not be enough. Paul is too smart to think yes man agrees with him. So he writes the bit about Plainview getting deeply disturbed that his alleged brother has not laughed at his joke concerning prostitutes getting liquored up. He hangs up and calls Daniel Day Lewis's agent at 1:30 A.M.

The next morning, there's an answering machine message from Lewis's agent. He'd like to come talk to Paul and be there for script development.

This may seem far fetched, but judging from this film and how it plays out, I cannot imagine anything much less than something as extravagant as that happening in the creative process of this critic proof film.

This might just do nobody any good.
My favorite BTS story from TWBB is that the cast and crew would have steaks and straight vodka for lunch to maintain the mood throughout filming.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

A good movie that I really hoped was gonna be great. I'll go into more detail over in the official thread.

The Illusionist - 9/10

Really good twist
David Bowie's character has one of film's best entrances I've ever seen!

Dunkirk

First time viewing. Really enjoyed it. Very well made. Regret not seeing it in the cinema, shame on me.

4.5/5
Rewarding a second time too, I noticed many things I had missed, one of my top 3 favorite films of the year.

The Disaster Artist.

The Adjustment bureau (2011)

Weird thing happened as I wrote this, for the first time since I've been on this forum there was an error on this page as I was writing and let's say around 100 words I wrote disappeared, I'm being fully serious, is the chairmen on to me?

I'm not perfect far from it, I contradict myself a lot, sometimes multiple times in one sentence. One of these contradictions has to be the ever changing line I have on what is acceptable and what is not in fantasy and reality terms. My rule of thumb is usually that if the movie takes place in the real world in a real setting surrounded by real places and has a serious tone than the plot really has to be logical. This movie has all the real settings but is so illogical I haven't even attempted trying to piece things together as it may as well be a lord of the rings movie but it still very much wants to be in this world, however there is no shire here. I like that the plot does delve into fate but absolutely hate the fact that it's so black and white, become president and ditch the girl or marry the girl and wave goodbye to the White House. Then at the end it was just a test from God and everybody lives happily ever after, the hats are plain stupid and why don't they just say the word God? It really isn't subtle that the chairmen is God it would have been less subtle if Morgan Freeman flew into Damon's office with wings, baby Jesus and a 500 man choir and sang "What's cracking Matt I'm God and you ain't marrying this bi***". The second half of the movie just fell into the usual Hollywood cliches when really it could have been so much more. To lovey duvey especially with his heartbreaking back story, It just seemed like they were trying to piece things together to convince us that they were soul mates when really all you need to be soul mates is to laugh at each other's jokes. Half of me feels the movie was fresh and interesting the other half stale and unoriginal.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Rewarding a second time too, I noticed many things I had missed, one of my top 3 favorite films of the year.
Yea mate will def watch again. Thinkin about the timelines of the stories was very interesting. Great concept plus execution. Probably my favourite of the year, in terms of movies released 2017. Maybe this will be my first 4K blu Ray if I get one of those new oleds

The Fog (1980, John Carpenter)

Of all John Carpenter's films I've seen so far, this is definitely my least favorite. It does have its moments but they are few and far between. For the most part, it was just excruciatingly dull.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Here we have the second installment in the third trilogy of Star Wars movies and this one is a winner all the way. Directed by Rian Johnson, who directed one of my favorite movies, Brick, he brings a bit of a different vibe to the universe here, and it's all for the better. We get to continue the story of good guys Rey, Finn, Poe, and bad guys Kylo Ren and Supreme Leader Snoke, with Luke Skywalker and his sister Leia also returning for the side of good.

Rey (Daisy Ridley) gets to pick up her story right where the last movie left us, meeting Jedi Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill, in a fine performance) on his isolated island, hoping he will train her in the ways of the Force. But she finds that not to be an easy task as he has turned away from the Force after the destruction of his students by his pupil Kylo Ren many years before. He refuses to train any Jedi potentials due to the pain and loss he suffered. But Rey is no so easily dissuaded.

Meanwhile, injured friend Finn (John Boyega) wakes from his coma and is eager to pick up the fight against the evil First Order. General Leia (the late Carrie Fisher), Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac), and Vice Admiral Holdo (Laura Dern) are in the vanguard of the Resistance. But they find the odds against them this time as their fuel is running low and their ships are being picked off one by one by the First Order.

Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) and Rey find that they can see only each other when they use the Force and can commune with each other. We find out whether this is a good thing or not near the movie's conclusion.

The movie has nary a dull moment and moves at a breakneck pace. There are many surprises as director Johnson chooses to go in certain directions that I personally found refreshing. Certain people, good and bad, meet their end here; extensions of personal powers are found out; sacrifice is at hand all the way through the movie; there are moments of levity even in this somewhat darker installment; but the ending leaves you with hope for the future, which has been a running theme ever since George Lucas went back and subtitled the first Star Wars (1977) A New Hope. Hope reigns eternal in this saga. I loved it and will probably see it again at the cinema, which is something I rarely do anymore.

what the f*ck Dani8
I had a great time!

Wht a nasty, grubby movie. Tlk about how the other half lives.