13th Chime - Cats Of Toulouse
Concrete Blonde - Jonestown
The Hu - Wolf Totem
The Like - Don't Make a Sound
Brian Eno - 2/1
Hazel O'Connor - Eighth Day

nom:
The Clash - Rock The Casbah

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Well, you've been around here long enough to know how it goes. If you agree with me you may well be right or correct, but you probably won't be on the side that's popular.
I don't know about that. You seem to pick songs that are popular enough to win a lot of these rounds.

1) Davis Daniel - For Crying Out Loud
2) Brian Eno - 2/1
3) The Like - Don't Make a Sound
4) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California
5) Hazel O'Connor - Eighth Day
6) 13th Chime - Cats Of Toulouse
7) The Hu - Wolf Totem
8) Concrete Blonde - Jonestown

I'll be back later tonight or tomorrow with my nom for the next round.

The Hu - Wolf Totem

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California

Davis Daniel - For Crying Out Loud

Brian Eno - 2/1

Brian Eno - 2/1
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California
The Hu - Wolf Totem
Davis Daniel - For Crying Out Loud

r12 nom:
L'Arc~en~Ciel - Niji

Round 11

1. The Hu - Wolf Totem
(I remember someone nominating The Hu's "Yuve Yuve Yu" song in a past tournament, which is what turned me onto the band and their unique Mongolian brand of metal. Their debut album, and this song in particular, never fail to get me pumped up. Perfect ride-into-battle music.)

2. Concrete Blonde - Jonestown
(Don't necessarily love this song, but I do love Concrete Blonde.)

3. The Like - Don't Make a Sound
(Not familiar with this group. If not for the YouTube description giving the release date, I'd assume this was from the 60's. And I mean that in a good way.)

4. 13th Chime - Cats of Toulouse
(I'm more of a Dogs of Toulouse person, but this is pretty good. Has a goth-like sound but with a little bit of a punk underground vibe as well. Would likely grow on me with repeated listens.)

5. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California
(Always a fun listen, but docking it a few for points for excessive familiarity.)

6. Hazel O'Connor - Eighth Day
(WTF?)

7. Davis Daniel - For Crying Out Loud
(Pretty basic country, but not a bad listen.)

8. Brian Eno - 2/1
(Enchanting in its own way, but I don't really want to listen to it unless I'm walking around in a cathedral or admiring the visuals in a giant open-world video game. It was very difficult not to skip ahead, but I listened to all 9 damn minutes, despite the music never changing.)

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
  1. 13th Chime - Cats of Toulouse: This is pretty good. It's almost as if they're channeling kitty_city in all of it. It does run maybe a buck fifty too long, staying on the same riff, but not bad at all.
  2. The Like - Don't Make a Sound: As noted, I stumbled upon this song a few days ago watching The Next Three Days. It got my attention and I'm totally crushing on her voice in the bridge.
  3. Concrete Blonde - Jonestown: Speaking of vocal crushing... Love Concrete Blonde, and this song is sexy. Of course she could grind out the active ingredients of a prescription and I'd still fall for her.
  4. Hazel O'Connor - Eigth Day: lol. I don't mean to lol. This is pretty great stuff really. But that video. Man, she's committed. I'm digging it though. Bowie vibes. Cool. I had to google her to hear something else. There's a really nice live performance of Will You with a much older O'Conner. Nice song there. Nice sax solo. From there I googled a bit more and found bits from an interview. I liked that (insane quoting from source): "While she loved the acclaim Breaking Glass received, fame was not something she had coveted. "A braver person than me would embrace it," she said. "You think everybody's going to love you. Of course they don't. Everyone just looks at you more." But some advice from a friend helped her learn to cope with celebrity. That friend was David Bowie [oh oh oh!!!! I knew it! (my insert, btw)]. "I said 'David, this whole fame malarkey is grinding me down. I find it quite scary'," she told me. "He said 'people think because they read about you they know you, and that's not their fault. But when they meet you they talk like they know you and it's overpowering'. "He said 'all you need to do is equal it up. You just turn it round to how it is normally with human beings. You say what's your name? You find out a little bit about them and then you're on a more equal footing'. "I got used to the thing that as a famous person you become an object. You have to allow people to see you as an object and then you have to push through as a human being." She believes people who say they want to be famous haven't really thought it through. "Every day there are great artists, writers, singers who are trying to get ahead and you need to get somebody to like you or you don't sell your product. I understand that," she said. "But then there are people who are hungry for fame rather than people who are hungry to put food on the table. I worry for that person."" ...yeah. That's pretty cool. I totally coulda been a groupie. If I was older than four.
  5. The Hu - Wolf Totem: This was a Facebook meme a while back. I dig the vocals and tribal chant. Especially those long didgeridoo-sounding holds. I'm not sure I could listen to this for any period of time though. I think it works great as a commercial for something, but for me it comes off almost as parody the longer I listen. I don't think that's the intention, and that bugs me.
  6. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California: Generally I really like RHCP. I never got into this song though.
  7. Davis Daniel - For Crying Out Loud: I guess it was growing up where I did where country is a lifestyle. I just very little patience for it. I'M SORRY!!!
  8. Brian Eno - 2/1: I can't really do this. Nothing against ambient at all. I let YouTube just carry on playing through whatever comes up and ended on Brian Eno's Stars. This was nice and made sense. The nom track, however, really closed my doors. Oddly, this other track reminds me of a game I used to play, EVE Online. quickly, it's just an MMO spreadsheet space shooter (wut?) from an Icelandic game developer CCP. My point is, the soundtrack was gorgeous. I'd log in most nights just to listen.

I always hate coming off as dismissive with one song or another. I know that music is likely a very personal preference, and favorites probably carry the weight of some significant moment in one's life, or provide some meditative state, or energize some creative corner of the mind. It just doesn't hit the same for us all, unfortunately. But I'd like to think I get it. Or at least that I'm trying to, even if I may not like one thing or another. So. Yeah. Not sure why i'm drifting like this lol. k. ...hitting reply.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
RoneTWO12:
Aurora - Animal (live)

Weird chicks. raWr? Seriously though, push past the pop patterns and the vocals are impressive. Still, Bowie tops this. Just sayin'. I mean, just so we're all clear on that. Bowie. Tops.

(bowie)

1. Davis Daniel - For Crying Out Loud: I guess it was growing up where I did where country is a lifestyle. I just very little patience for it. I'M SORRY!!!
It's okay, as long as you don't get mad at me for nominating more country music.

I always hate coming off as dismissive with one song or another. I know that music is likely a very personal preference, and favorites probably carry the weight of some significant moment in one's life, or provide some meditative state, or energize some creative corner of the mind. It just doesn't hit the same for us all, unfortunately. But I'd like to think I get it. Or at least that I'm trying to, even if I may not like one thing or another. So. Yeah. Not sure why i'm drifting like this lol. k. ...hitting reply.

Remaining votes came in whilst I was in the land of Nod so here's the result of Round 11 (and a well fought one it was too):

1st - 13th Chime - Cats Of Toulouse (47 pts)

2nd - Concrete Blonde - Jonestown (44 pts)
3rd - The Like - Don't Make a Sound (41 pts)
4th - The Hu - Wolf Totem (39 pts)
5th - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California (38 pts)
6th - Hazel O'Connor - Eighth Day (29 pts)
7th - Davis Daniel - For Crying Out Loud (27 pts)
8th - Brian Eno - 2/1 (23 pts)

Round 12 up shortly....

Seds wanders off again (weekend coming up) but John-Connor steps back in to take his place and keep us at eight players for this round:

Dream City Film Club - Pissboy

David Bowie - As The World Falls Down

The Clash - Rock The Casbah

Europe - The Final Countdown

L'Arc~en~Ciel - Niji

Flatlinerz - Good Day to Die § (alt link if needed)

Alan Jackson - Thank God For The Radio

Aurora - Animal

Please rank from 1 (your favourite) to 8 (your least favourite).
This round will stay open for voting until 9am GMT on 26th April.

Nominations for Round 13 (the final 'qualifying' round) are now open.

1. The Hu - Wolf Totem
(I remember someone nominating The Hu's "Yuve Yuve Yu" song in a past tournament, which is what turned me onto the band and their unique Mongolian brand of metal. Their debut album, and this song in particular, never fail to get me pumped up. Perfect ride-into-battle music.)
That was MijaFrost, sadly not been on in some months now - I think Christine would have loved The Hu as well (sadly another that no longer pops on)

1. Dream City Film Club - Pissboy
  2. The Clash - Rock The Casbah
  3. Alan Jackson - Thank God For The Radio
  4. Flatlinerz - Good Day to Die
  5. Aurora - Animal
  6. Europe - The Final Countdown
  7. David Bowie - As The World Falls Down
  8. L'Arc~en~Ciel - Niji

My R13 nom:
Sara Tavares - Muna Xeia