The Thread Where Interested Parties Discuss MMA

Tools    

I hope Prestige and I aren't the only ones who will join in.

So what do you all think about MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)?

Human Cockfighting ALA John McCain?
Sport of true warriors?

Bad or good for humankind?

If you like it, who are your favorite fighters?

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
I'm a pretty huge fan, I check Sherdog almost everyday although I don't post because it's full of pricks.

Favourite fighters:
Anderson Silva, Fedor, Rampage Jackson, Wanderlei Silva, Shogun, Urijah Faber, Brock Lesnar (because I was a pretty big WWE fan), Forrest Griffen, Diego Sanchez, Diaz Brothers and Gilbert Melendez

Can't wait to see Kimbo get beaten on the Ultimate fighter, also quite gutted that Fedor v Barnett isn't happening anymore.

Yeah I know.

I had a little confidence that Fedor was going to have some competition. Barnett is a tough dude. Stupid, evidently, but tough nonetheless.

I have no interest in seeing Fedor fight any of the other four alternates.

As for Kimbo... I hope he wins a contract. It's not his fault the promoters made him out to be something he wasn't. he seems genuine and appropriately humble.

Yeah I think Lashley has potential to be a serious threat to most heavyweights in MMA but he's no way ready to face Fedor. As for Belfort, as much as I love him he's too small to be fighting someone of Fedor's size. Who were the other two potential replacements, I'm sure Fedor will just rip them apart anyway.

I guess I can see what you mean about Kimbo, it just annoys me how he had one of the highest grossing fights in terms of PPV buys and he really doesn't represent what MMA is. I'm almost certain Dana will offer him a contract, after all he is a cash cow and will be fed some cans to make him look legit although he lost to Seth Petruzeli who was pretty much a UFC standard can.

Believe it or not, I love MMA, but I had no idea it was called that until now.

I have no idea who any of the guys are. I just leave the channel on when I'm flipping through and I find two shirtless, muscular sweaty guys all over each other in compromising positions.

I see you're in here right now Mr, The Toose. What did you think of the antics of Mr. WWE the other night?

Bad for the sport?

Ahha, nice thread mate

Yeah, i've been into MMA for a good while now myself. I was always reluctant to mention it in the forum because I doubted it would get a significant response.

Like I already told Sir Goose my favourite fighters are Rashad Evans and Lyoto Machida. Two great light-heavyweights. It's a shame they had to fight each other ):

What do you guys think of Machida? I know he is all the rage right now in MMA, but I must say that in this case, it's fully justified. He seems unbeatable. It's the fact that he is so elusive that makes standout imo.

I see you're in here right now Mr, The Toose. What did you think of the antics of Mr. WWE the other night?

Bad for the sport?

There have been 'bad guys' in MMA before so he's really nothing new. I think he's confused a little though about what he's supposed to be doing.

He actually reminds me of
when he first came into the UFC. Tank is hugely powerful, was very fast and no one could touch him for several fights. The thing about MMA though is that everyone wants to be the dragonslayer.

Abbott can't win a fight now to save his life because it didn't really take that long to figure out how to beat him.

Brock's skill level is low to be the heavyweight champ. He has huge power that's offsetting that for now.

Overall, I think the heavyweight division will step up to meet the challenge of defeating him. They'll sharpen their skills so they can be the one to say they took out Brock.

His next fight is going to be telling. Both Cain Velazquez and Shane Carwin have power, size and skill that far exceeds Brock's. Carwin may also be as physically powerful as Brock.

We shall see, it's all good

What do you guys think of Machida? I know he is all the rage right now in MMA, but I must say that in this case, it's fully justified. He seems unbeatable. It's the fact that he is so elusive that makes standout imo.
Machida is the shiznit!

For now.

Someone will figure out how to defend him and how to hit him. He's like Lesnar right now... a puzzle to be solved. Eventually someone will do it but for now he looks great and sure has mad skills.

I like that he's brought Karate back to the UFC. The focus for years has been Brazilian Jui Jitsu (except for Liddell who stayed true to Karate) and now it's all cycling back again.

Bad for the sport?

I have mixed feelings about Lesnar's antics after the fight. On the one hand, his interview with Rogan was GOLD. It was controversial, grabbed your attention and gave the fans even more reason to root against Lesnar in his next fights, almost ensuring that people will pay as much as they can just to see if anyone can handle the cocky Lesnar and put him back down to earth.

On the OTHER hand..he was deeply disrespectful to Mir, and there was no need for that. When Mir beat him in their first fight, you didn't see Mir taking the piss out of him after the fight and offering him out even though BRock's knee almost popped. Mir was respectful and gave Brock props.
Brock acted like a complete and utter wanker. LOoking like he was going to go after Mir even though it was HE that got the TKO and Mir the one busted up, barely able to stand. It was quite nasty and a side of Lesnar I thought was only threatrical until this point. But he seemed like he meant it.

Machida is the shiznit!

For now.

Someone will figure out how to defend him and how to hit him. He's like Lesnar right now... a puzzle to be solved. Eventually someone will do it but for now he looks great and sure has mad skills.

I like that he's brought Karate back to the UFC. The focus for years has been Brazilian Jui Jitsu (except for Liddell who stayed true to Karate) and now it's all cycling back again.

Yeah, I agree. He'll be figured out at some point but it'll be awhile, mate. I wouldn't say Lesnar's much of a puzzle though. There are quite a few guys like Lesnar, but they aren't nearly as big or as strong as he is. What you need is a good striker almost the size and strength as he is with sick takedown defence and i'll bet my savings that Lesnar will be beat.

Machida on the otherhand..his style is just unique. The way he mixes up elements of Karate with basic Judo and BJJ is uncanny. I honestly think it'll be awhile till someone figures him out. Right now I still think that Rashad has the best chance out of all the LHW. Shogun too. But everyone else will fall against him.

His next fight is going to be telling. Both Cain Velazquez and Shane Carwin have power, size and skill that far exceeds Brock's. Carwin may also be as physically powerful as Brock.

We shall see, it's all good

I agree about Carwin but Velazquez?? I'm not saying he is weak but I don't think he is brock level strong. He might be of the same standard wrestling wise, but his ground 'n' pound looked a bit weak against Cheick Kongo. Either that or Kongo has an iron chin.

Yeah didn't to mean to suggest in any way that Lesnar=Machida... just that both pose a problem in their weight class right now. Actually apply the same to St. Pierre.

I give Brock maybe another fight or two before someone sends him to the canvas. Valezquez or Carwin could do it, heck Mir could have done it. It's only a matter of time, I think. He said Mir caught him with a knee that made him see tweety bird so his jaw is as vulnerable as anyone elses.

For the record, I think Randy was on the track to beating him.

I hope Prestige and I aren't the only ones who will join in.

So what do you all think about MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)?

Human Cockfighting ALA John McCain?
Sport of true warriors?

Bad or good for humankind?

If you like it, who are your favorite fighters?
Cockfighting pretty well describes it. They'll soon be showing executions on TV for entertainment. Conventional boxing is a brute "sports" racket that should be outlawed, yet Ali was a thing of beauty when in motion in the ring. MMA fighters look like they've just been swept out of a gutter. No style, no grace, no form--about as indistinguishable and uninteresting as two roosters in a ring.

I agree about Carwin but Velazquez?? I'm not saying he is weak but I don't think he is brock level strong. He might be of the same standard wrestling wise, but his ground 'n' pound looked a bit weak against Cheick Kongo. Either that or Kongo has an iron chin.
It did look weak, right about that. Still, he pulled off a win against a larger and stronger opponent. Also, he has five KO wins so we know he has knockout power punching ability.

Gonzaga might be a good choice too. He's fallen a few times but I'll never forget him destroying CroCop. That was wicked.

No style, no grace, no form--about as indistinguishable and uninteresting as two roosters in a ring.
How many matches have you actually watched and/or how much do you know about the fighters?

It did look weak, right about that. Still, he pulled off a win against a larger and stronger opponent. Also, he has five KO wins so we know he has knockout power punching ability.

Gonzaga might be a good choice too. He's fallen a few times but I'll never forget him destroying CroCop. That was wicked.

Yeah, true that. I forgot about his other wins. It'll certainly be interesting to see but I would bet on Brock just for the share fact that he is enormous. Plus Brock would have a significant reach advantage.

I was thinking Gonzaga as well but you beat me too it. Still can't believe he ended Cro Cop the way he did. I like Cro Cop

Cockfighting pretty well describes it. They'll soon be showing executions on TV for entertainment. Conventional boxing is a brute "sports" racket that should be outlawed, yet Ali was a thing of beauty when in motion in the ring. MMA fighters look like they've just been swept out of a gutter. No style, no grace, no form--about as indistinguishable and uninteresting as two roosters in a ring
I actually really resent that comment. I respect that you don't like it, but to say they have no style or grace?? It would like to know how many MMA fights you've actually seen. Most people who write off MMA as a 'brute sport' haven't seen the beauty and grace in which BJJ fighters use their technique. In fact, fighters who emphasis BJJ never look brutal, it looks like poetry in motion. At least to me.

I actually really resent that comment. I respect that you don't like it, but to say they have no style or grace?? It would like to know how many MMA fights you've actually seen. Most people who write off MMA as a 'brute sport' haven't seen the beauty and grace in which BJJ fighters use their technique. In fact, fighters who emphasis BJJ never look brutal, it looks like poetry in motion. At least to me.
I respect your effort but rufnek said he's for outlawing boxing. It's doubtful that people who like the sport (us) will find any common ground with people who dislike combat sports in general.

To your point, my favorite MMA bouts are the ones that play out like chess matches. Tamdan McCrory vs. Dustin Hazelett in UFC 91 was one of the best matches, I think, to illustrate what the sport is all about. That match was one fluid submission attempt after another until Hazelett finally got a crazy reverse arm bar.

I can see where the punches and kicks would look brutal to those outside the sport. This discounts the fact, though, that the fighters love to compete and they expect to be struck. Combat sports are a lifestyle and a discipline rooted in thousands of years of human kind.

Unforunatly with my crappy internet I haven't been on the site all day and so there's been quite a bit of discussion on stuff i'd like to weigh in on too.

Brock Lesnar's antics after his fight were very disrespectful to the fans, but I think Dana loved it. Every sport needs a villan, Ronaldo is pretty much a villan in football, other sports as well have fan favourites and the people everyone loves to root against. Brock doing that will create even more buzz around him and lead to even more ppv buys for the UFC. I didn't really have a problem with it, he was just happy he'd beaten the guy who said "next time i'm going to break it" about his ankle. There was quite a bid of bad blood going into the fight, at least he didn't pull the crap Riggs and Nick Diaz did, now that looked bad for the sport.

I don't think the guy is a puzzle, it's just his takedowns are damn near impossible to stop, he also had the perfect gameplan against Mir staying clost to him and not allowing him to get any space to attempt submissions. Carwin will be an interesting test and I do think he will knock Cain out in their upcoming fight. He's better than Lesnar standing up and is a huge guy, dunno about his take down D though. If he can't beat Lesnar it's going to take a very slick BJJ guy who'll sub him on the ground because now way will Lesnar stand against guys like Kongo.

With all due respect Sir Toose comparing Lesnar to Tank is a terrible comparison, Lesnar has got past some of the most legitimate fighters in MMA at his weight class, I'd say he's more like a Mark Coleman sort of fighter.

I'm not a big fan of Macida but then again I've not seen a lot of his fights, from his last two though it's obvious he's a very smart fighter and isn't just a decision machine. Like Joe Rogan says, the point of fights is to win without receiving too much punishment and I think in that sense Machida is the perfect fighter. I do find myself rooting against him a lot though but that's because LHW is stacked full of fighters I love, like his upcoming opponent Shogun (who I do think he will defeat).

With all due respect Sir Toose comparing Lesnar to Tank is a terrible comparison, Lesnar has got past some of the most legitimate fighters in MMA at his weight class, I'd say he's more like a Mark Coleman sort of fighter.
I wasn't comparing Tank to Lesnar in apples to apples skill. I'm saying that Tank had a similar effect on the UFC at the time he was fighting as Lesnar is having now.

Were you a fan way back when?