Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Spartacus (1960)

Not seen for years (20?) so clean eyes on this..excellent and physical story of the slave rebel. Big budget stuff but I believe the director(s) handled the intimate with the brutish very well. A cracking ride and a hopeful tale.

Duck, You Sucker! (1971)

It's certainly not Sergio Leone's best but I never expected it to be. It was still well worth the 2 1/2 hour investment even if scenes occasionally seem to go into the next like something was cut out. Rod Steiger and James Coburn are the two stars forming an unlikely partnership, and unlike a lot of other westerns, these two become so close that I thought they were going to be lovers. There are so many explosions and mass killings that I often felt like I was watching a war movie, not a bad thing.

The Apartment - 1960

Trying to catch up on old flicks while this quarantine is going on. So Jack Lemmon was the originator of AirBnb Usually not much into older flicks, I can appreciate them for the time they are made and the mark they made on film. However most of them usually feel like a chore to watch. I usually watch them for the experience then I'm good. This movie surprised me though, it still had it's moments but for the most part felt almost modern. I'd watch this one again down the road. It was tackling some sort of dark issues not many movies were tackling then. Infidelity, suicide, depression. It got sort of dark in some moments which I was very surprised about. Plus I sort of identified with Lemmon's character getting kicked around. I'm sort of a pushover myself. Shirley was awesome in it as well.

I see why this movie is so revered still today. It has a timeless feel to it. As far as older movies go this one I enjoyed a lot. I wasn't looking at how much time I had left in the movie like I usually do with older flicks.

I'd give it about a 3.8 out of 5.

I'm glad you liked this movie...it's my favorite Jack Lemmon performance and Shirley MacLaine was robbed of the Best Actress Oscar. I'm glad you've put it in your mind to watch it again down the road because this is a film that I think improves with repeat viewings.

Onward: 8/10
The Good Dinosaur: 6/10
The Naked Gun (rewatch): 8/10

Legend in my own mind
I was curious what your rating for Rocketman was...you didn't post a rating.
Ahhh true.

I would probably say

Loved the music, liked the way it was done, found the musical aspects a little distracting, although I think it would be superb on stage.

Would have preferred a straight up biopic like Bohemian Rhapsody, but I enjoyed it all the same.

WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE
(1993)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The Mutilator (1984) - 3/10. Another pile of garbage. No thrill, no back story, nothing. Just a man killing teens. I have to get out of this rut that I am on right now.

Devi (2017) - 4/10. Not a very good movie. Tried a lot of things, but couldn't achieve anything of substance. Badly acted too. Just bad writing and directing. Forgettable.

Ahhh true.

I would probably say

Loved the music, liked the way it was done, found the musical aspects a little distracting, although I think it would be superb on stage.

Would have preferred a straight up biopic like Bohemian Rhapsody, but I enjoyed it all the same.

I actually loved the fact that it was not a straight up biopic but different strokes I guess.

Times Like Dying (Evan Vetter, 2015)
+
Reasonable Western short if one can get over the absent apostrophe

The Cowboy (Omid Shabkhiz, 2014)
+
Fun enough non-Western short with a Western title

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

El silencio es bienvenido AKA Welcome Silence (Gabriela García Rivas, 2017)
5/10
When We Grow Up (Zorinah Juan, 2018)
6/10
Crossing the Line (Pietro Marcello, 2007)
+ 5/10
Stalingrad (Joseph Vilsmaier, 1993)
6.5/10

Heil yourself - Sorry that Hitler made you do it.
The Main Event (Jay Karas, 2020)
+ 5/10
Playdate with Destiny (David Silverman, 2020)
6.5/10
Compadres (Enrique Begné, 2016)
5/10
School Life AKA La vie scolaire (Mehdi Idir & Grand Corps Malade, 2019)
6.5/10

Humanistic comedy-drama set at a middle school in France.
The Umbrella Man (Michael Grasso, 2016)
6/10
Beautifully Broken (Eric Welch. 2018)
5/10
Hold the Dark (Jeremy Saulnier, 2018)
6/10
You're Not You (George C. Wolfe, 2014)
- 6.5/10

Concert pianist Hilary Swank has ALS but her new caregiver (Emily Rossum) is a flake.
Deny Everything (Michael Eden, 2017)
5.5/10
The Brave AKA Lazarat (William Kaufman, 2019)
5/10
Brothers' Nest (Clayton Jacobson, 2018)
6.5/10
Naseem AKA The Morning Breeze (Saeed Akhtar Mirza, 1995)
6/10

Young Indian Muslim Naseem learns wisdom and history from her grandfather.
Violence (Jack Bernhard, 1947)
5/10
At the Drive-In (Alexander Monelli, 2017)
- 6.5/10
Run the Race (Chris Dowling, 2018)
5/10
The Land of Steady Habits (Nicole Holofcener, 2018)
6/10

Divorced father Ben Mendelsohn influences, mostly in bad ways, two young men [here his son Thomas Mann].

Ginger Snaps (2000) - 5.5/10. Found this movie on a YouTube channel recommendation. Definitely better than the mindless stuff that I was watching over the past week. Now every movie can't be the Shining, but still falls under the same general premise of stupid teens making stupid choices. But this is a wee bit smarter than the fifth grader! Worth a watch.

Ginger Snaps (2000) - 5.5/10. Found this movie on a YouTube channel recommendation. Definitely better than the mindless stuff that I was watching over the past week. Now every movie can be the Shining, but still falls under the same general premise of stupid teens making stupid choices. But this is a wee bit smarter than the fifth grader! Worth a watch.
In my opinion, Ginger Snaps is way better than The Shining. It's pretty much the best werewolf film out there and I think it was in my top-10 horror films back when we made the horror list.

Probably I am looking for Fellini in the horror genre. So probably my expectations are a bit too high. Not a huge fan of horror to begin with, these movies are just for me to tick the "I have seen it" box. If it's ghosts and ghouls, I can still get with it. Werewolf, Zombie, Aliens, I automatically start my rating from negative. Not to mention the movie which are gory just for the sake of it. Disgust is just not very entertaining nor artistic.