The Thread Where Interested Parties Discuss MMA

Tools    

An interesting match.

Two of them actually.

Velazquez vs Rothwell, I think will prove to be a stepping stone for Velazquez to secure a title fight. Rothwell has a puncher's chance but if it goes to the ground Velazquez will win.

Machida vs Shogun is new guard vs old guard. I can't say i've ever seen Muy Tai vs Karate at this level before. It should be a stand up match and I don't think it'll go to decision. I'm thinking KO in favor of Machida.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I like MMA but hate the UFC.

Here is the winning strategy. Wrestling take-down, push your opponents head into the cage, elbows.

Boring.

I've been following the UFC for a few years now casually. I don't have many favorite fighters, a good fight is a good fight regardless.

I just started mma recently, enjoying it a lot. Anyone else do it ?

I love MMA guys you should check out fightlockdown.com its an MMA forum which I've been posting on for months its excellent best MMA forum out there by miles.

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
I like MMA but hate the UFC.

Here is the winning strategy. Wrestling take-down, push your opponents head into the cage, elbows.

Boring.
With all due respect, I completely disagree with that statement.

Whilst some of the fighters in the UFC who started with a wrestling base like to LnP like Sherk, Maynard etc there are way more fighters in the UFC who go out into the octagon looking to finish fights.

The likes of BJ Penn, Frank Mir, Anderson Silva, Thiago Silva, Vitor Belfort, KenFlo come to mind

Hi all,

just wondering if any of the newer members are fans?

Saw a football thread and other various sports being discussed. MMA is something I rarely miss... love the sport.

Any others?

Let the night air cool you off
I don't watch it as much as I used to. I'll still watch some of the bigger fights or when my MMA obsessed best friend sends me links to something. I watched a lot of PRIDE and I much prefer that to the current UFC model.

Yep Pride was great. Interesting that the next UFC event is in Japan (first time) and features Pride champ Josh Barnett. Some great Japanese fighters on the card as well.

Any thoughts on Rhonda Roussey smack talk on beating up her boyfriend, not voting for Donald Trump, and then losing the Championship match?

I cannot stand seeing women get beat, even for sport, but I HAD to see this one. That looked like it hurt, too! Yikes. Rhonda's eating a lil humble pie....

just wow.

I rewatched some of the UFC 4 fights, and I wrote a little bit about some of the fights I enjoyed:

Joe Son vs Keith Hackney

Not a great fight by any tradtional terms, but it's a bizarre spectacle. First we have the Joe Son entrance which features him carrying a cross on his back that is way too big for him. This is doubly bizarre considering that Joe Son would later go to prison for sexual assault. That makes Keith Hackney punching him in the balls even better, because yes, Keith Hackney punched him in the balls... and it was legal. MMA was simultaneously awful and great back in the early days.

Joe Son is a very short man that doesn't really have any pedigree, Keith Hackney wasn't very good either, but at least had a way of finishing a fight. (Oh yeah, Joe Son claimed to invent a new martial art called Josondo, but I would not want to learn Josondo.) This fight is really only here because I like watching Joe Son get punched in the nuts and get choked out even though all he had to do to get out of the choke was turn his head.

Anthony Macias vs Dan Severn

Suplex city, bitch. That's where Severn took Macias. It's a totally unfair match-up, but check this fight out for some of the best shoot suplexes of all-time.

Keith Hackney vs Royce Gracie

Before this fight, you never got to see any of Royce's striking repertoire. In this fight, you see some of it. It isn't overly impressive to be honest, but it was nice to see Royce knee a dude from the clinch against the cage. After Royce tried to pull guard, Keith Hackney valiantly tried to ward him off despite being totally outclassed from that position. He rained down some shots that mostly missed, but Royce had to adjust for them. So there was a fun cat and mouse game for a second or two before the predictable ending. Fun fight all-together.

I watched a couple of fights from UFC 1:

Gerard Gordeau vs Teila Tuli

Maybe still the most brutal strike in the UFC's history happened in its very first bout. Gordeau blasts Tuli in the face with a kick while Tuli was trying to get back to his feet. The fight lasted less than a minute, so I don't guess it can be called a high quality fight. It's a must see just for the kick and Tuli's tooth flying out of the cage.

Kevin Rosier vs Zane Frazier

These two dudes just go for broke right from the beginning of the fight, footwork and head movement not required. Rosier throws these beautiful looping bombs that probably shouldn't work, but do damage even through Frazier's defense. Frazier's punches are straighter and some connect, but much like Rosier, most don't and he gasses. Frazier does get in a really sneaky knee that might have been low, but mostly likely it just connected to his soft gut. Eventually Frazier gets his head stomped on twice and his corner throws the towel in. My little write-up doesn't do this mini-war justice. It's a beautiful example of the best possible sports-dad fight.