Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Moth Diaries (2011)

Continuing my short break from Westerns, I explored another of Sarah Bolger's movies. Looking at her IMDb page, I noticed quite a range of movie from terrible to half decent, and a range of roles from lead, supporting, and minor, both in movies and TV series, but there was nothing that looked particularly spectacular. There are a few more of her movies I'm interested in checking out. Emelie looks like a superficial and cliche, but entertaining, thriller. And two that look like fairly decent romantic dramas, As Cool as I Am and Kiss Me. This movie, The Moth Diaries, was a bit of a cliche, superficial, entertaining thriller. I mildly enjoyed it, but nothing really excited me, and there were some dull moments. The dialogue never discussed anything deep or meaningful, though the subject matter of suicide, loss, loneliness, depression, anxiety, delusion, jealousy, poetry, Gothic literature, and vampires, had more than enough potential. Sadly that potential felt squandered and the movie settled for merely scratching at the surface. The plot followed Bolger's character, Rebecca, who was presumably 16 although the actress was 19 or 20. This was one of those movies about a bunch of 20-somethings pretending to be high-school students. Personally, I just imagined it was a college or university. So, the story was about this girl, Rebecca, who returned to boarding school after the summer break to be reunited with her best friend, Lucie, only to find that a mysterious new girl was stealing her friend from her. Exploring themes of vampirism, Rebecca began to suspect the new girl, Ernessa, of somehow being corrupt, but struggled to accept the supernatural due to her naturalistic world-view. This internal conflict about the naturalistic view and the supernatural was a turmoil inside of Rebecca, and served as a central plot theme. Ernessa was played by Lily Cole, and Lucie was played by Sarah Gadon. Scott Speedman, notably from the Underworld franchise, made an appearance as Mr. Davies a new male teacher in this all-girl's school. He played the role of little more than a sex object. Overall, while I did find the movie lacking in substance, it was mildly entertaining. I wouldn't really recommend this movie unless you're interested in Sarah Bolger, and then I wouldn't raise your expectations any higher than "mildly entertaining." There was only one scene where the acting actually impressed me, and that was a flashback where Bolger's character found her father dead in the bathtub with his wrists slit. The expression of sorrow mixed with horror while she was screaming was done beautifully.

1BR (2019)

Spooky little cultish offering with enough weird to keep me interested. Well shot and clean around the edges this was a nice little sleeper movie.

Bravura performance from Antonio Banderas. He has gotten much less lightweight as he grows older. Best thing heís done IMO.

Booksmart (2019) - 7.2/10. This one blew me away. It was very good. I thought it was just another over-hyped comedy from last year. But I was so wrong. Reminded me of Love Simon from the year before. That is a wee bit better than this because of the background score. But Booksmart's not bad either. And Booksmart has a song from FIFA (2015 I think), so that is a win! The casting, the acting, the direction, everything was awesome. Good stuff.

Re-watch of a very powerful movie. Farrah Fawcett in a bravura performance that she first performed on stage. Still holds up.

The Moth Diaries (2011)

Continuing my short break from Westerns, I explored another of Sarah Bolger's movies.

Zotis, I enjoy reading your reviews. I'm wondering if you'd consider inserting paragraph breaks? They'd be much easier to read, IMO.

~Doc

Zotis, I enjoy reading your reviews. I'm wondering if you'd consider inserting paragraph breaks? They'd be much easier to read, IMO.

~Doc
I always consider paragraph breaks. I just don't always do them. But, thank you for the nice compliment.

Emelie (2015)

Another of Sarah Bolger's movies, Emelie was a little better than I was expecting. It was a fairly superficial entertaining thriller, but it showed a little creativity and avoided being too cliche. The child actors were surprisingly good, and Sarah Bolger delivered a solid performance with more believable acting than she usually has. Her acting felt more natural to her than roles where she tried to play a sympathetic victim. The way that she tormented the children was more subtle and believable than other movies that have done a similar theme. I could actually relate to the kind of manipulation and bullying that I experienced growing up with my own siblings. Like when our parents weren't home, and some things would happen in a Lord of the Flies sort of way. Overall it was a fairly decent and entertaining movie.

The Wrong Missy - 2020

Phew. Spade has to stop making movies. They are unbearable now. He has found his lane as a late night dude. His show is refreshing from the other late night dudes because it's actually watchable/funny and not a Trump bash fest/liberal propaganda show. He is really smooth as host too. I really like Spade but starring in movies ain't it anymore.

The premise actually isn't bad. But most the jokes land flat and the chick is trying but is just way too over the top. I'd avoid this unless you are a Spade groupie. I couldn't even finish it on my couch at home on Netflix.

THE LIGHTHOUSE
(2019)

Rubbish
ďLet me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!Ē ~ Rocky Balboa

Rocky: Walks up to opponent without any guard. Gets punched in the face a bunch of times. Returns to corner. "That guy's really good." What a retarded movie.

Rocky: Walks up to opponent without any guard. Gets punched in the face a bunch of times. Returns to corner. "That guy's really good." What a retarded movie.
I think you might be looking for different things in these movies.