Spam my Comedy Countdown ballot!

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Phffft (Mark Robson, 1954)

I watched this 1954 B&W comedy last night. It starred Judy Holiday and Jack Lemmon with the supporting cast of Jack Carson and Kim Novak. So right there it's sounding pretty good! The story and screenplay was written by George Axelrod, a noted Broadway writer and famous for penning The Seven Year Itch, Breakfast at Tiffany's and the underground comedy Lord Love a Duck. With such lineage one would expect this movie to be funny...and it was! I liked it, it was an easy watch, fast paced with characters who were easy to relate too. I liked it so much I think I'll watch the rest of Judy Holiday's filmography.

Phffft is a great movie, and it's still on my potential list.

I'm a big fan of both Judy Holiday and Jack Lemmon, so I always love watching their movies. (I wish Judy Holiday had made more movies.)

Bells Are Ringing, The Solid Gold Cadillac, and It Should Happen to You are some of my favorites of her movies.

I was thinking, if I were to recommend teen / high school / college comedies, I wouldn't know where to start.

But actually, yes I would = Revenge of the Nerds (1984).
I was reminded because I caught a bit of it the other night.

I have a certain affinity for this movie for a couple reasons - when I was a teenager I felt "stepped on, left out, picked on, put down", in other words, I was a nerd. Also, this movie came out when I was in college so it was just very relatable.

Some of it is cringe-worthy, some of it is a bit dirtier than I remember, but much of it is still laugh-out-loud funny.

I would even go out on limb to say, as college comedies go, I like Revenge of the Nerds better than Animal House!
Thanks Captain I'd like to see Revenge of the Nerds again. I seen it one time only back when it first came out on VHS. I remember liking it but that's all I can remember. BTW if you were a nerd in school did you ever get your own revenge???

I wasn't a fan of Woody Allen either, but then I saw Bullets Over Broadway for a HoF and I liked it, so I decided to give his movies a chance.

Since then, I've seen these movies that I liked, but as movies, not specifically as comedies:

The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
Radio Days (1987)
Scoop (2006)
Midnight in Paris (2011)
I've not seen Scoop. But I really liked Radio Days, now that was funny to me (and I don't think Woody appeared in that one). Purple Rose of Cairo and Midnight in Paris are both favorites of mine but like you said I don't think of them as comedies.

I like some teen movies, but I'm not really of fan of the ones where the teens are partying all the time and causing trouble. I prefer movies that have a better story, like The Karate Kid, Tex, My Bodyguard, etc., but most of them aren't really funny enough to consider them comedies.

When I was younger, I liked Up the Academy and Zapped, but I doubt either of those movie would stand the test of time.
I think my wife is the same way and that's why I haven't watched too many films like Porky's or some of the others that were recommended in this thread.

Phffft is a great movie, and it's still on my potential list.

I'm a big fan of both Judy Holiday and Jack Lemmon, so I always love watching their movies. (I wish Judy Holiday had made more movies.)

Bells Are Ringing, The Solid Gold Cadillac, and It Should Happen to You are some of my favorites of her movies.
Thanks for the recs! I seen The Solid Gold Cadillac a few weeks ago, good movie but strange title! I seen The Marrying Kind awhile back, I didn't really find it funny as the characters seemed more adversarial than humorous. Think I'll watch
Bells Are Ringing next as it has Dean Martin.

Desk Set (1957)

This was a real comedy gem and I liked it so much that I had a real hard time finding just one image for this review! The Christmas party scene was probably my favorite part but there was a lot to like here.

Katherine Hepburn is so good that it felt like she was made for this role, she's just so natural. She had great chemistry with.....Joan Blondell...I bet you thought I was going to say Spencer Tracy! Yeah, Tracy & Hepburn scenes worked well together but with such a dynamic actress you need someone who has the same drive and energy and that someone was Joan Blondell. I loved the scenes the four women shared together in their reference finding center. I sensed a real bonding and familiarity among these co-workers. I love that set in the reference room, it's simple, yet three dimensional. One gets the feeling you could get lost in that upper level with it's endless rows of reference books and aisles that go on forever.

It was neat seeing Sue Randall aka Miss Landers from Leave it to Beaver in her one and only film. She was good and personable. I was bummed that the lovely Dina Merrill had next to no scene time and no close ups...but this was her first film, maybe that's why. Dina reminds me of Grace Kelley, only taller, she's very classy and holds herself well. I bet she worked as a model.

I was really fascinated by this old computer, it was created with help from IMB. Looks real to me. What fascinated me was the way it operated. People would type in a question and the computer would answer (with paper)...isn't that like A.I.? I mean my computer doesn't even do that!

Loved this movie!

I'm always interested in 1950s-1960s films set in corporate settings (The Best of Everything, Designing Women, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying) if anybody knows of any let me know, they don't have to be a comedy.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	7477070_orig.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	87141   Click image for larger version

Name:	1341134099.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	87142  

I caught a little of this movie this evening on TCM!
I never saw the whole thing but parts of it are weirdly prophetic (or ironic) regarding technology.
One line from Hepburn to Tracy went something like... "unless you've figured out a way to send mail without the post office."

Then to think e-mail was one of the first inter-office & home computer applications!

Good Neighbor Sam (1964)

I'm on a role! Another film I'd never heard of but ended up loving. This was tons of fun and it came with two pretty girls (Dorothy Provine & Romy Schneider) and it came with one really hip car, a Tiffany Blue 1964 Ford Thunderbird convertible...I soooo want that car! I swear it took me an extra 20 minutes to watch this movie because I kept pausing the film to look at....the T Bird. Jack Lemmon is married to Dorothy Provine and when her recently divorced friend (Romy Schneider) comes into an inheritance of 15 million dollars, she has to pretend to be married to collect the money...that was her rich uncle's stipulation in the will. So you can guess who has to pretend he's married to the exotic Romy, yup that's right it's Jack Lemmon.

Oh I forgot to say there's so many neat things to see in this film, including two places I've been and the Bradbury Building which was used in Blade Runner...which I haven't seen.

Attachments

Name:	6672dc7d2180f5746e30a3d3e65ff5cd.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	87162   Click image for larger version

Name:	i446855.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	87163  

Thanks for the recs! I seen The Solid Gold Cadillac a few weeks ago, good movie but strange title!
WARNING: "SPOILER for the ENDING of "The Solid Gold Cadillac"!!!" spoilers below
The answer is explained at the end of the movie.

Think I'll watch Bells Are Ringing next as it has Dean Martin.
I think Bells Are Ringing is a lot of fun. It's a very underrated movie.

Desk Set (1957)

This was a real comedy gem and I liked it so much that I had a real hard time finding just one image for this review! The Christmas party scene was probably my favorite part but there was a lot to like here.

Katherine Hepburn is so good that it felt like she was made for this role, she's just so natural. She had great chemistry with.....Joan Blondell...I bet you thought I was going to say Spencer Tracy! Yeah, Tracy & Hepburn scenes worked well together but with such a dynamic actress you need someone who has the same drive and energy and that someone was Joan Blondell. I loved the scenes the four women shared together in their reference finding center. I sensed a real bonding and familiarity among these co-workers. I love that set in the reference room, it's simple, yet three dimensional. One gets the feeling you could get lost in that upper level with it's endless rows of reference books and aisles that go on forever.

It was neat seeing Sue Randall aka Miss Landers from Leave it to Beaver in her one and only film. She was good and personable. I was bummed that the lovely Dina Merrill had next to no scene time and no close ups...but this was her first film, maybe that's why. Dina reminds me of Grace Kelley, only taller, she's very classy and holds herself well. I bet she worked as a model.

I was really fascinated by this old computer, it was created with help from IMB. Looks real to me. What fascinated me was the way it operated. People would type in a question and the computer would answer (with paper)...isn't that like A.I.? I mean my computer doesn't even do that!

Loved this movie!
Desk Set is one of my favorite Tracy & Hepburn movies. I love the scene when they all get pink slips.

I'm always interested in 1950s-1960s films set in corporate settings (The Best of Everything, Designing Women, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying) if anybody knows of any let me know, they don't have to be a comedy.

If you haven't seen it, check out the movie Woman's World (1954).
"An executive plans to fill a high-ranking position by interviewing the candidates' wives."

I haven't checked the quality of the video, but it's on YouTube:

...If you haven't seen it, check out the movie Woman's World (1954).
"An executive plans to fill a high-ranking position by interviewing the candidates' wives."

Thanks...I seen it but long ago, so due for that rewatch.

Yours, Mine and Ours (1968)

Too many damn kids! 18 of them!...OMG, and this is based on a real story to. The short of it is: Lucille Ball is a widower with 10 kids and Henry Fonda is a widower with a mere 8 kids...so why not get married and create a basis for bedlam and a movie. This was funny and I seen it before, not a lot of screen time to go into the comic underpinnings of having 20 people living in the same house but got my in the mood to watch more of Lucy's comedy films...but somehow I just don't find Henry Fonda all that funny.
Attachments

Name:	yours-mine-and-ours-1968_668_330_80_int_s_c1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	87205  

Yours, Mine and Ours (1968)

Too many damn kids! 18 of them!...OMG, and this is based on a real story to. The short of it is: Lucille Ball is a widower with 10 kids and Henry Fonda is a widower with a mere 8 kids...so why not get married and create a basis for bedlam and a movie. This was funny and I seen it before, not a lot of screen time to go into the comic underpinnings of having 20 people living in the same house but got my in the mood to watch more of Lucy's comedy films...but somehow I just don't find Henry Fonda all that funny.
Fonda was the "straight man"!

The scene that steals the movie is when Henry's Fonda's sons get Lucy drunk at their first meeting - and when she puts the mashed potatoes in that little girl's lap (and starts laughing & crying hysterically)... that was one of the only times Lucy ever really made me LOL!

Fonda was the "straight man"!

The scene that steals the movie [Ours, Yours and Mine] is when Henry's Fonda's sons get Lucy drunk at their first meeting - and when she puts the mashed potatoes in that little girl's lap (and starts laughing & crying hysterically)... that was one of the only times Lucy ever really made me LOL!
Yup that was a good scene. While I was watching it and Lucy turned on a dime form crying to laughing I thought to myself, 'now that's comic genius'. I don't think very many actors could pull that scene off like she did.

Oh, of course I know Fonda was the straight man hence he wasn't meant to be funny, but he was dull. Van Johnson should've been cast as the widower with 8 kids...Van would've been great, at least he was in the movie.

Two more Woody Allen films I watched:

Broadway Danny Rose (1984)
Written & Directed by Woody Allen

Wow! This was such a well made movie and OMG was that really Mia Farrow behind those dark shades? If I hadn't seen her name in the credits I would've never guessed that it was her. Talk about one helluva a performance, I mean she was so not Mia like at all and that's a credit to any actor. Damn, she deserved an Oscar. I did see she was Golden Globe nominated for her role...The movie too is just perfect and all thanks to Woody's eye for the camera and for capturing New York City street life. Loved the writing as well, sharp and focused and witty, just like you'd expect in an Allen film. I'm now convinced that Woody Allen is one of the greatest directors living.

Stardust Memories (1980)

Stardust Memories an impressive work by Woody Allen. This is like his ode to Fellini and a follow up to his homage to Bergman with 1978's Interiors. Allen doesn't go full out Fellini here which is a good thing as there's only one Fellini...Allen does make a personal auteur film with just the right amount of nods to the Italian film maker...OMG, yes another OMG moment, that giant image on Allen's apartment wall! Could you image that in your apartment? Yikes! But for a scene composition it works wonders and that giant wall photo changes too along with the pacing of the film. I found this more comical than Broadway Danny Rose and more ambitious artistically. I enjoyed it.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Two more Woody Allen films I watched:

Broadway Danny Rose (1984)
This title is absolute cult.
Film-monument to the dying part of an epoch. A work full of sadness. I would consider it for some drama countdown.

@Citizen Rules

I watched a movie that I thought you might like.

If you like It Happened One Night (1934), check out the movie Love on the Run (1936). It's a similar "runaway bride" type of movie, and it also stars Clark Gable.

It Happened One Night is the better of the two movies, but Love on the Run is also worth watching.

...If you haven't seen it, check out the movie Woman's World (1954).

Thank you! I just watched Woman's World (1954) last night and both me and the wife enjoyed the movie. We had seen it before but I didn't remember that it was so intelligently well written and so well cast too. The only other film like this that didn't already mention is Lucy Gallant (1955).

One more Robert Morse film watched...

Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (1968)

According to IMDB's trivia page:
'this is one of very few films from the mid-century MGM library that appears to be lost, outside of privately circulated, poorly reproduced bootleg copies.'

And that's what I seen a poorer video copy of this Doris Day-Robert Morse film. But it was good enough to enjoy the movie. It's like many mid to late 1960s comedies, big on circumstances and antics with lots of craziness!

The idea is NYC has a huge blackout which causes small changes in the everyday lives of the people involved, resulting in a Broadway star (Doris Day) leaving the theater early and so ends up catching her husband cheating...This black out also causes an embezzler (Robert Morse) who just stole millions to have a chance meeting with the Broadway star who's sulking in her country home. They don't see each other at first in the house. Robert Morse then accidentally drinks some sleeping drops put into a glass of water which makes him fall asleep next to Doris who's also taken some sleeping drops...oh those 60s doctors! Anyway then the cheating husband finds them together and well a whole bunch of fun stuff happens as a result.

A funny film, to bad it's so hard to find.

I watched Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? today. I had never heard of this movie before, but I went searching for it after you mentioned it here. It's a shame that this movie isn't better known because I thought it was a lot of fun. I don't usually like Robert Morse, but I liked him in this movie, even though his character wasn't really a good person.

The only thing that bothered me about it was
WARNING: "SPOILERS for the ENDING of "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?"!!!" spoilers below
that in the end, she went back with her husband, even though he cheated on her. He didn't deserve her, but at least they didn't take the other possible route and have her end up with Robert Morse's character.

I watched Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? today. I had never heard of this movie before, but I went searching for it after you mentioned it here. It's a shame that this movie isn't better known because I thought it was a lot of fun. I don't usually like Robert Morse, but I liked him in this movie, even though his character wasn't really a good person.

The only thing that bothered me about it was
WARNING: "SPOILERS for the ENDING of "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?"!!!" spoilers below
that in the end, she went back with her husband, even though he cheated on her. He didn't deserve her, but at least they didn't take the other possible route and have her end up with Robert Morse's character.
Glad to hear you liked it. The funny thing is I can't remember now who Doris ended up with All I remember of the ending was the money part...fun movie though. I hope you seen a better copy of the film than I did? You probably watched it on TCM?

Glad to hear you liked it. The funny thing is I can't remember now who Doris ended up with All I remember of the ending was the money part...fun movie though.
After her husband got arrested with the money, she showed up at the police station to help him. Robert Morse explains the truth to her husband, but nobody tells her. Her husband acts like he forgives her, they make up and go home together. Then, exactly nine months later, she has a baby, but even with all the confusion about that night, nobody questions who the father is.

I hope you seen a better copy of the film than I did? You probably watched it on TCM?
No, it wasn't on TCM. I found it online, so it was also a low quality copy, but at least it was watchable.

I've had fun with this thread! Thanks to everyone who gave me comedy recommendations...I wish I could've watched them all. As it was I found some great comedies all thanks to you guys! I've sent in my ballot, so I guess it's time to wrap up this thread with a few comedies that I watched last week but didn't post about. Thanks everyone for stopping by and chatting with me I really appreciate it!