Tokyo Vice (HBO Max)

Tools    

Just finished the first season and am definitely hooked.

Michael Mann directed the first episode, and helped set the tone for the show like he did 30+years ago with MIAMI VICE.

https://ew.com/tv/what-michael-mann-...to-tokyo-vice/

I ain't much for long fancy show reviewing, just know that this is worth 8 hours of your life

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Sato is something else. There hasn’t been a character I’ve been this compelled to watch in a while.

The show is good, but everything else is orbiting around the sun when he’s on screen.

Love the Z. Watched the first 4 eps, but my car nerd wants to see somebody slither out of a R34 or period specific car. The timeline is about perfect for it.

Finished the last four episodes and I was impressed. Ken Watanabe is what gravitas wants to be when it grows up.

There hasn’t been a show I’ve thought about like this for a while. Not even the Sopranos finale

The predominant feeling is how sad it is. If you asked me, “Hey, you wanna watch a sad show?” the answer would probably be no.

So why does this resonate with me? Maybe because most of the characters were forced into a situation that left them with little choice or control over their own lives. Then you set everything against Adelstein who has actively sought out all the issues and conflict he is dealing with. The naïveté of “wanting to be an investigative journalist and wading into the dark waters of crime and the Yakuza.”

WARNING: "Let’s hope the new brass at Discovery keeps this show around…" spoilers below
because I need to know who was responsible for killing Sato (assuming he is d.e.d.). Two front runners are Ishida (seemed to bristle at Sato’s ideas for the future) and someone involved with Matsuo (the blackmailer). Obvious picks, but would not be surprised if it was someone else.

And number 2. Where is Tokazawa going gon the jet? Why do I think he is going to visit the Adelestein family?

Just finished the first season and am definitely hooked.

Michael Mann directed the first episode, and helped set the tone for the show like he did 30+years ago with MIAMI VICE.

https://ew.com/tv/what-michael-mann-...to-tokyo-vice/

I ain't much for long fancy show reviewing, just know that this is worth 8 hours of your life
Tongo, 'preciate the suggestion of Tokyo Vice (2022). I watched the first episode last night, and found it to be fresh and innovative. Ansel Elgort is impressive as an American journalist who gets a job at a major Tokyo newspaper. His character speaks and reads Japanese, which seems real. And what can be said about Ken Watanabe? He's great.

So hopefully the series will continue at that first episode's high level. We'll definitely watch to find out.

It’s back! With a big ol’ spoiler in the trailer and ep1 description…

s2e2. Hmmm… Kinda hacky. Let’s see where e3 leads us.

There hasn’t been a show I’ve thought about like this for a while. Not even the Sopranos finale

The predominant feeling is how sad it is. If you asked me, “Hey, you wanna watch a sad show?” the answer would probably be no.

So why does this resonate with me? Maybe because most of the characters were forced into a situation that left them with little choice or control over their own lives. Then you set everything against Adelstein who has actively sought out all the issues and conflict he is dealing with. The naïveté of “wanting to be an investigative journalist and wading into the dark waters of crime and the Yakuza.”

WARNING: "Let’s hope the new brass at Discovery keeps this show around…" spoilers below
because I need to know who was responsible for killing Sato (assuming he is d.e.d.). Two front runners are Ishida (seemed to bristle at Sato’s ideas for the future) and someone involved with Matsuo (the blackmailer). Obvious picks, but would not be surprised if it was someone else.

And number 2. Where is Tokazawa going gon the jet? Why do I think he is going to visit the Adelestein family?
Going by the reviews here, I’ve put it in my watchlist. Not really my cuppa tea, but will give it a shot.

s2e4 & s2e5 feels like things are picking up. Really good stuff. Very surprising to see the secondary characters getting fleshed out in the manner they are.

Going by the reviews here, I’ve put it in my watchlist. Not really my cuppa tea, but will give it a shot.
Don’t think I made it through the pilot.

I don't love the series, but it's very watchable. It's an interesting concept that an American WASPy guy who speaks fluent Japanese gets a reporter's job on a main Japanese newspaper. He and Ken Watanabe work well together.

In my personal case it's a little frustrating because I don't see well. Most of the dialogue has large enough subtitles, but when Japanese is spoken they change to smaller subtitles that I have trouble reading.

I'm just up to ep. 7 of the second season. I see there is another ep a week until the final ep #10, so I'll likely follow that to the finish.

Ansel Elgort is by far the worst part. It would never happen, but the show would benefit from losing the gaijn.