Darth Pazuzu's Favorite Movies of All Time

→ in
Tools    

Note the title: That's favorite movies of all time, not best. I'm certainly not about to claim that any of the movies on my list of all-time favorites can qualify as the best of all time. (My #1 pick would most definitely inspire raised eyebrows and double- or triple-takes, if not outright ridicule.) But they are the ones with the most - for lack of a better word - resonance to me personally. The movies near the top of my list are the ones that I'm most likely to pop into my Blu-ray player when I'm in the mood to watch a film.

Here's my (tentative) plan: I'm going to list my favorite movies in groups of ten. And no, at this point, I don't really know how far down the list I'm going to go! I imagine at some point later in the future I might be giving individual reviews to the films one at a time. But not right now. I think I'll wait.

So now... without durther afoo... Here is:
DARTH PAZUZU'S TOP 10 FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME!

"Come, fly the teeth of the wind. Share my wings!"
#001 - EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC (1977)
directed by: John Boorman
screenplay by: William Goodhart / based on characters created by William Peter Blatty
starring: Linda Blair, Richard Burton, Louise Fletcher, James Earl Jones, Max von Sydow

"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."
#002 - FIGHT CLUB (1999)
directed by: David Fincher
screenplay by: Jim Uhls / based on the novel by Chuck Palahniuk
starring: Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, Helena Bonham Carter, Meat Loaf, Jared Leto

"The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."
#003 - STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH (2005)
directed and written by: George Lucas
starring: Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Hayden Christensen, Ian McDiarmid, Frank Oz

"Hello, Danny. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Danny. Forever... and ever... and ever!"
#004 - THE SHINING (1980)
directed by: Stanley Kubrick
screenplay by: Stanley Kubrick and Diane Johnson / based on the novel by Stephen King
starring: Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Danny Lloyd, Scatman Crothers, Barry Nelson

"I like thinking about the red dress and the television and you and your father. Now when I get the sun, I smile!"
#005 - REQUIEM FOR A DREAM (2000)
directed by: Darren Aronofsky
screenplay by: Hubert Selby Jr. and Darren Aronofsky / based on the novel by Hubert Selby Jr.
starring: Ellen Burstyn, Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly, Marlon Wayans, Christopher McDonald

"I only want you to accept what you are. Don't pretend!"
#006 - THE MUSIC LOVERS (1971)
directed by: Ken Russell
screenplay by: Melvyn Bragg / based on the book Beloved Friend by Catherine Drinker Bowen and Barbara von Meck
starring: Richard Chamberlain, Glenda Jackson, Max Adrian, Christopher Gable, Kenneth Colley

"Oh, no tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering!"
#007 - HELLRAISER (1987)
directed and written by: Clive Barker / based on his novella The Hellbound Heart
starring: Andrew Robinson, Clare Higgins, Ashley Laurence, Sean Chapman, Doug Bradley

"Is there anybody out there?"
#008 - PINK FLOYD: THE WALL (1982)
directed by: Alan Parker
screenplay by: Roger Waters / based on the album by the band Pink Floyd
starring: Bob Geldof, Christine Hargreaves, James Laurence, Eleanor David, Bob Hoskins

"When this kind of fire starts, it is very hard to put out."
#009 - TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME (1992)
directed by: David Lynch
screenplay by: David Lynch and Robert Engels / based on the TV series Twin Peaks created by Mark Frost and David Lynch
starring: Sheryl Lee, Ray Wise, Grace Zabriskie, Chris Isaak, Kyle MacLachlan

"Experience always destroys something or someone."
#010 - BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL (1977)
directed by: Liliana Cavani
written by: Liliana Cavani, Franco Arcalli and Italo Moscati
starring: Dominique Sanda, Erland Josephson, Robert Powell, Virna Lisi, Michael Degen

DARTH PAZUZU'S FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME (#11-20):

"Infinite goodness means creating a being that you know in advance is going to complain."
#011 - THE NINTH CONFIGURATION (1980)
directed by: William Peter Blatty
screenplay by: William Peter Blatty / based on his novel
starring: Stacy Keach, Scott Wilson, Jason Miller, Ed Flanders, Neville Brand

"Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills! The people it kills get up and kill!"
#012 - DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978)
directed and written by: George A. Romero
starring: David Emge, Ken Foree, Scott H. Reiniger, Gaylen Ross, Tom Savini

"Oh Lord, forgive me for harboring such unworthy thoughts, but sometimes I wish I could tear it all down!"
#013 - THE DAY OF THE LOCUST (1975)
directed by: John Schlesinger
screenplay by: Waldo Salt / based on the novel by Nathanael West
starring: Donald Sutherland, Karen Black, Burgess Meredith, William Atherton, Geraldine Page

"The normal is the good smile in a child's eyes. It is also the dead stare in a million adults. It both sustains and kills, like a god. It is the ordinary made beautiful, it is also the average made lethal. Normal is the indispensable, murderous god of health, and I am his priest."
#014 - EQUUS (1977)
directed by: Sidney Lumet
screenplay by: Peter Shaffer / based on his play
starring: Richard Burton, Peter Firth, Jenny Agutter, Colin Blakely, Joan Plowright

"Who's here? I'm here. You're here."
#015 - CRUISING (1980)
directed by: William Friedkin
screenplay by: William Friedkin / based on the novel by Gerald Walker
starring: Al Pacino, Paul Sorvino, Karen Allen, Richard Cox, Don Scardino

"I have accepted a ruthless logic, and I can never get away from it!"
#016 - THE DAMNED (1969)
directed by: Luchino Visconti
screenplay by: Nicola Badalucco, Enrico Medioli and Luchino Visconti
starring: Dirk Bogarde, Ingrid Thulin, Helmut Griem, Helmut Berger, Charlotte Rampling

"Thirty seconds after you're born you have a past, and sixty seconds after that you begin to lie to yourself about it."
#017 - THE BROOD (1979)
directed and written by: David Cronenberg
starring: Oliver Reed, Samantha Eggar, Art Hindle, Henry Beckman, Cindy Hinds

"Now, I will hold your hand when it's dark and you're afraid of the boogeyman, and I will tote your gin bottles out after midnight so no one can see, but I will not light your cigarette. And that, as they say, is that."
#018 - WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? (1966)
directed by: Mike Nichols
screenplay by: Ernest Lehman / based on the play by Edward Albee
starring: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, George Segal, Sandy Dennis, Agnes Flanagan

"Sticks and stones can break your bones but words cause permanent damage!"
#019 - TALK RADIO (1988)
directed by: Oliver Stone
screenplay by: Eric Bogosian and Oliver Stone / based on the play by Eric Bogosian and Tad Savinar and the book Talked to Death: The Life and Murder of Alan Berg by Stephen Singular
starring: Eric Bogosian, Alec Baldwin, Ellen Greene, Leslie Hope, John C. McGinley

"They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done!"
#020 - STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT (1996)
directed by: Jonathan Frakes
screenplay by: Brannon Braga and Ronald D. Moore / based on a story by Rick Berman, Brannon Braga and Ronald D. Moore and the TV series Star Trek: The Next Generation created by Gene Roddenberry
starring: Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, James Cromwell, Alice Krige

DARTH PAZUZU'S FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME (#21-30):

"You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang!"
#021 - THE HATEFUL EIGHT (2015)
directed and written by: Quentin Tarantino
starring: Kurt Russell, Samuel L. Jackson, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Walton Goggins, Tim Roth

"And you will face the sea of darkness, and all therein that may be explored."
#022 - THE BEYOND (1981)
directed by: Lucio Fulci
screenplay by: Dardano Sacchetti, Giorgio Mariuzzo and Lucio Fulci / based on a story by Dardano Sacchetti
starring: Catriona MacColl, David Warbeck, Cinzia Monreale, Antoine Saint-John, Veronica Lazar

"And what's the point of a revolution without general copulation?"
#023 - MARAT/SADE (1967)
directed by: Peter Brook
screenplay by: Adrian Mitchell / based on the English translation by Geoffrey Skelton of the play The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade by Peter Weiss
starring: Patrick Magee, Ian Richardson, Michael Williams, Clifford Rose, Glenda Jackson

"This is my hand. I can turn it. The blood is still running in it. The sun is still in the sky and the wind is blowing. And I... I, Antonius Block, am playing chess with Death!"
#024 - THE SEVENTH SEAL (1957)
directed and written by: Ingmar Bergman / based on his play Trämålning
starring: Max von Sydow, Gunnar Björnstrand, Bengt Ekerot, Nils Poppe, Bibi Andersson

"Here I was born, and there I died. It was only a moment for you. You took no notice."
#025 - VERTIGO (1958)
directed by: Alfred Hitchcock
screenplay by: Alec Coppel and Samuel A. Taylor / based on the novel From Among the Dead by Pierre Boileau and Thomas Narcejac
starring: James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes, Tom Helmore, Henry Jones

"Quandum ubique, quandum semper, quandum ad omnibus creditur est."
#026 - SUSPIRIA (1977)
directed by: Dario Argento
screenplay by: Dario Argento and Daria Nicolodi / based on the book Suspiria de Profundis by Thomas De Quincey
starring: Jessica Harper, Stefania Casini, Flavio Bucci, Alida Valli, Joan Bennett

"Separation can be a terrifying thing."
#027 - DEAD RINGERS (1988)
directed by: David Cronenberg
screenplay by: David Cronenberg and Norman Snider / based on the novel Twins by Bari Wood and Jack Geasland
starring: Jeremy Irons, Genevieve Bujold, Heidi von Palleske, Shirley Douglas, Stephen Lack

"Come with me if you want to live."
#028 - TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY (1991)
directed by: James Cameron
written by: James Cameron and William Wisher
starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong, Robert Patrick, Joe Morton

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future."
#029 - CLOUD ATLAS (2012)
directed by: Lana Wachowski, Tom Tykwer and Lilly Wachowski
screenplay by: Lana Wachowski, Tom Tyker and Lilly Wachowski / based on the novel by David Mitchell
starring: Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturgess

"As a duly designated representative of the City, County and State of New York, I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension!"
#030 - GHOSTBUSTERS (1984)
directed by: Ivan Reitman
written by: Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis
starring: Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis

DARTH PAZUZU'S FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME (#31-40):

"As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a gangster."
#031 - GOODFELLAS (1990)
directed by: Martin Scorsese
screenplay by: Nicholas Pilgeggi and Martin Scorsese / based on the book Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi
starring: Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, Lorraine Bracco, Paul Sorvino

"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen."
#032 - A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (1971)
screenplay by: Stanley Kubrick / based on the novel by Anthony Burgess
starring: Malcolm McDowell, Patrick Magee, Adrienne Corri, Miriam Karlin, Michael Bates

"The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd."
#033 - PULP FICTION (1994)
directed by: Quentin Tarantino
screenplay by: Quentin Tarantino / based on stories by Quentin Tarantino and Roger Avary
starring: John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, Bruce Willis, Harvey Keitel

"I bent over to make the beds. I bent over to scrub the tiles. To peel the veg. To glue my ear to keyholes. Now I do not bend. I stand upright!"
#034 - THE MAIDS (1975)
directed by: Christopher Miles
screenplay by: Robert Enders and Christopher Miles / based on the play by Jean Genet
starring: Glenda Jackson, Susannah York, Vivien Merchant, Mark Burns

"Do you know what the most frightening thing in the world is? It's fear."
#035 - PEEPING TOM (1960)
directed by: Michael Powell
written by: Leo Marks
starring: Carl Boehm, Anna Massey, Moira Shearer, Maxine Audley, Brenda Bruce

"Wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer. And then you'll notice you've got their strict attention."
#036 - SE7EN (1995)
written by: Andrew Kevin Walker
starring: Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow, R. Lee Ermey, Kevin Spacey

"Have you ever heard of insect politics? Neither have I!"
#037 - THE FLY (1986)
directed by: David Cronenberg
screenplay by: Charles Edward Pogue and David Cronenberg / based on the the story by George Langelaan
starring: Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis, John Getz, Joy Boushel, Les Carlson

"My mommy always said there were no monsters - no real ones - but there are."
#038 - ALIENS (1986)
screenplay by: James Cameron / based on a story by James Cameron, David Giler and Walter Hill and characters created by Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett
starring: Sigourney Weaver, Michael Biehn, Paul Reiser, Lance Henriksen, Carrie Henn

"You're telling me that I should take my daughter to a witch doctor. Is that it?"
#039 - THE EXORCIST (1973)
starring: Ellen Burstyn, Max von Sydow, Lee J. Cobb, Jason Miller, Linda Blair

"Nothing but a web of lies. Every bit of it. A web of lies!"
#040 - CRIES AND WHISPERS (1972)
directed and written by: Ingmar Bergman
starring: Harriet Andersson, Liv Ullmann, Ingrid Thulin, Kari Sylwan, Erland Josephson

DARTH PAZUZU'S FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME (#41-50):

"I do not know what price I shall have to pay for breaking what we alchemists call Silentium. The life experiences of our colleagues should warn us not to upset laymen by imposing our knowledge upon them."
#041 - INFERNO (1980)
directed by: Dario Argento
screenplay by: Dario Argento / based on the book Suspiria de Profundis by Thomas De Quincey
starring: Leigh McCloskey, Irene Miracle, Eleonora Giorgi, Daria Nicolodi, Veronica Lazar

"Remember it well, then... this night, this great victory! So that in the years ahead, you can say, 'I was there that night, with Arthur, the King!' For it is the doom of men that they forget."
#042 - EXCALIBUR (1981)
directed by: John Boorman
screenplay by: Rospo Pallenberg and John Boorman / based on the book Le Morte d'Arthur by Thomas Malory
starring: Nigel Terry, Helen Mirren, Nicol Williamson, Nicholas Clay, Cherie Lunghi

"You must unlearn what you have learned."
#043 - STAR WARS EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (1980)
directed by: Irvin Kershner
screenplay by: Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan / based on a story by George Lucas
starring: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
#044 - DR. STRANGELOVE, OR: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB (1964)
screenplay by: Stanley Kubrick, Terry Southern and Peter George / based on the novel Red Alert by Peter George
starring: Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden, Keenan Wynn, Slim Pickens

"I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"
#045 - NETWORK (1976)
directed by: Sidney Lumet
written by: Paddy Chayefsky
starring: Faye Dunaway, William Holden, Peter Finch, Robert Duvall, Ned Beatty

"You know, the only thing that kills the demon... is love."
#046 - NATURAL BORN KILLERS (1994)
screenplay by: David Veloz, Richard Rutowski and Oliver Stone / based on a story by Quentin Tarantino
starring: Woody Harrelson, Juliette Lewis, Robert Downey Jr., Tommy Lee Jones, Tom Sizemore

"Call me vain and proud, the greatest sinner ever to walk God's earth. But Satan's boy I could never be! I haven't the humility."
#047 - THE DEVILS (1971)
screenplay by: Ken Russell / based on the play by John Whiting and the book The Devils of Loudon by Aldous Huxley
starring: Vanessa Redgrave, Oliver Reed, Dudley Sutton, Max Adrian, Gemma Jones

"People don't always tell you what they are thinking. They just see to it that you don't advance in life."
#048 - HANNIBAL (2001)
directed by: Ridley Scott
screenplay by: David Mamet and Steven Zaillian / based on the novel by Thomas Harris
starring: Anthony Hopkins, Julianne Moore, Ray Liotta, Giancarlo Giannini, Gary Oldman

"I have a reason for working at night. It's the light. I have a sense of shame in the light."
#049 - THE NIGHT PORTER (1974)
directed by: Liliana Cavani
written by: Liliana Cavani, Italo Moscati, Barbara Alberti and Amedeo Pagani
starring: Dirk Bogarde, Charlotte Rampling, Philippe Leroy, Gabriele Ferzetti, Amedeo Amodio

"You don't love me. I'm just something you've caught! You think I'm some sort of animal you've trapped!"
#050 - MARNIE (1964)
screenplay by: Jay Presson Allen / based on the novel by Winston Graham
starring: Tippi Hedren, Sean Connery, Diane Baker, Louise Latham, Martin Gabel

DARTH PAZUZU'S FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME (#51-60):

"They're coming to get you, Barbara!"
#051 - NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968)
directed by: George A. Romero
written by: John A. Russo and George A. Romero
starring: Duane Jones, Judith O'Dea, Karl Hardman, Marilyn Eastman, Russell Streiner

"You just go along figuring some things don't change ever, like being able to drive on a public highway without someone trying to murder you. And then one stupid thing happens. Twenty, twenty-five minutes out of your whole life, and all the ropes that kept you hanging in there get cut loose, and it's like, there you are, right back in the jungle again!"
#052 - DUEL (1971)
directed by: Steven Spielberg
screenplay by: Richard Matheson / based on his short story
starring: Dennis Weaver, Jacqueline Scott, Carey Loftin, Eddie Firestone, Lou Frizzell

"This is where I live. This is me. I will not allow violence against this house!"
#053 - STRAW DOGS (1971)
directed by: Sam Peckinpah
screenplay by: David Zelag Goodman and Sam Peckinpah / based on the novel The Siege of Trencher's Farm by Gordon M. Williams
starring: Dustin Hoffman, Susan George, Peter Vaughan, T.P. McKenna, Del Henney

"My people, my people, what can I say? Say what I can. I saw it but didn't believe it. I didn't believe what I saw. Are we gonna live together? Together are we gonna live?"
#054 - DO THE RIGHT THING (1989)
directed and written by: Spike Lee
starring: Danny Aiello, Ossie Davis, Ruby Dee, Spike Lee, John Turturro

"The extreme always seems to make an impression."
#055 - HEATHERS (1989)
directed by: Michael Lehmann
written by: Daniel Waters
starring: Winona Ryder, Christian Slater, Shannon Doherty, Lisanne Falk, Kim Walker

"I'm not cheap, you know that? I'm loud, but never cheap."
#056 - THE CRYING GAME (1992)
directed and written by: Neil Jordan
starring: Stephen Rea, Miranda Richardson, Jaye Davidson, Forest Whitaker, Adrian Dunbar

"It knows what scares you. It has from the very beginning. Don't give it any help, it knows too much already."
#057 - POLTERGEIST (1982)
directed by: Tobe Hooper
screenplay by: Steven Spielberg, Michael Grais and Mark Victor / based on a story by Steven Spielberg
starring: JoBeth Williams, Craig T. Nelson, Beatrice Straight, Dominique Dunne, Heather O'Rourke

"I will not say "Do not weep", for not all tears are an evil."
#058 - THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING (2003)
directed by: Peter Jackson
screenplay by: Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Peter Jackson / based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien
starring: Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Astin

"He sees something he wants, he steals it. If something gets in his way, he kills it. And right now, he's hiding out in your city."
#059 - THE HIDDEN (1987)
directed by: Jack Sholder
written by: Jim Kouf
starring: Kyle MacLachlan, Michael Nouri, Claudia Christian, Clarence Felder, Richard Brooks

"One: People aren't wearing enough hats. Two: Matter is energy. In the universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's soul. However, this 'soul' does not exist ab initio as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia."
#060 - MONTY PYTHON'S THE MEANING OF LIFE (1983)
directed by: Terry Jones (and Terry Gilliam)
written by: Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin
starring: Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@Darth Pazuzu, You and I have very different tastes in movies, but you have a few movies on your list that I like.

#020 - STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT (1996) - This isn't my favorite Star Trek movie, as I prefer the TOS trilogy (ST II, ST III, and ST IV), but it's a good movie.

#025 - VERTIGO (1958) - This is top tier Hitchcock.

#028 - TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY (1991) - This is my favorite of the Terminator movies.

#030 - GHOSTBUSTERS (1984) - This is always a great movie to watch when I'm looking for a fun comedy.

#043 - STAR WARS EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (1980) - One of the best of the Star Wars movies.

#052 - DUEL (1971) - An early Spielberg classic that showed us how much potential he had, and then he proved it with his later movies.

#055 - HEATHERS (1989) - A bit dark for my taste, but still a fun movie thanks to Christian Slater.

#057 - POLTERGEIST (1982) - One of the few horror movies that I love.

DARTH PAZUZU'S FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME (#61-70):

"Only one thing can save the children now. The unquiet spirit must be laid to rest."
#061 - A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 3: DREAM WARRIORS (1987)
directed by: Chuck Russell
screenplay by: Wes Craven, Bruce Wagner, Frank Darabont and Chuck Russell / based on a story by Wes Craven and Bruce Wagner and characters created by Wes Craven
starring: Heather Langenkamp, Robert Englund, Patricia Arquette, Craig Wasson, Laurence Fishburne

"It is not hands that call us. It is desire!"
#062 - HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II (1988)
directed by: Tony Randel
screenplay by: Peter Atkins / based on a story and characters by Clive Barker
starring: Clare Higgins, Ashley Laurence, Kenneth Cranham, Imogen Boorman, Doug Bradley

"People are frightened by what they don't understand."
#063 - THE ELEPHANT MAN (1980)
screenplay by: Christopher De Vore, Eric Bergren and David Lynch / based on the books The Elephant Man and Other Reminiscences by Frederick Treves and The Elephant Man: A Study in Human Dignity by Ashley Montagu
starring: Anthony Hopkins, John Hurt, Anne Bancroft, John Gielgud, Freddie Jones

"We're all here to do what we're all here to do. I'm interested in one thing: the future. And the only way to get there is together."
#064 - THE MATRIX RELOADED (2003)
directed and written by: Lana Wachowski and Lilly Wachowski
starring: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving, Jada Pinkett Smith

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber."
#065 - STAR WARS EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES (2002)
directed by: George Lucas
screenplay by: George Lucas and Jonathan Hales / based on a story and characters by George Lucas
starring: Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Hayden Christensen, Christopher Lee, Samuel L. Jackson

"Sometimes, dead is better."
#066 - PET SEMATARY (1989)
directed by: Mary Lambert
screenplay by: Stephen King / based on his novel
starring: Dale Midkiff, Fred Gwynne, Denise Crosby, Miko Hughes, Brad Greenquist

"Death is the road to awe."
#067 - THE FOUNTAIN (2006)
screenplay by: Darren Aronofsky / based on a story by Darren Aronofsky and Ari Handel
starring: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz, Ellen Burstyn, Stephen McHattie, Mark Margolis

"You murdered your own God, by accident. Or was it an accident?"
#068 - ZARDOZ (1974)
directed and written by: John Boorman
starring: Sean Connery, Charlotte Rampling, Sara Kestelman, John Alderton, Niall Buggy

"I conduct to live. I live to compose."
#069 - MAHLER (1974)
directed and written by: Ken Russell
starring: Robert Powell, Georgina Hale, Lee Montague, Miriam Karlin, Rosalie Crutchley

"Wisdom. Truth. Human Dignity. All finished! Now there is no reason why you cannot go to your grave with your music."
#070 - DEATH IN VENICE (1971)
directed by: Luchino Visconti
screenplay by: Luchino Visconti and Nicola Badalucco / based on the novella by Thomas Mann
starring: Dirk Bogarde, Björn Andrésen, Marisa Berenson, Mark Burns, Silvana Mangano

DARTH PAZUZU'S FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME (#71-80):

"We all go a little mad sometimes."
#071 - PSYCHO (1960)
screenplay by: Joseph Stefano / based on the novel by Robert Bloch
starring: Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh, Vera Miles, John Gavin, Martin Balsam

"These days, relationships with neighbors can be quite complicated. You know, little things that get blown up out of all proportion?"
#072 - THE TENANT (1976)
directed by: Roman Polanski
screenplay by: Roman Polanski and Gérard Brach / based on the novel by Roland Topor
starring: Roman Polanski, Isabelle Adjani, Melvyn Douglas, Jo Van Fleet, Shelley Winters

"In here, life is beautiful. The girls are beautiful. Even the orchestra is beautiful!"
#073 - CABARET (1972)
directed by: Bob Fosse
screenplay by: Jay Presson Allen / based on the story Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood, the play I Am a Camera by John Van Druten and the musical Cabaret by Joe Masteroff
starring: Liza Minnelli, Michael York, Helmut Griem, Marisa Berenson, Joel Grey

"Everything is true. God's an astronaut, Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live!"
#074 - NIGHTBREED (1990)
directed by: Clive Barker
screenplay by: Clive Barker / based on his novella Cabal
starring: Craig Sheffer, Anne Bobby, David Cronenberg, Charles Haid, Malcolm Smith

"You are what you do. A man is defined by his actions, not his memory."
#075 - TOTAL RECALL (1990)
directed by: Paul Verhoeven
screenplay by: Ronald Shusett, Dan O'Bannon and Gary Goldman / story by Ronald Shusett, Dan O'Bannon and Jon Povill / based on the novella We Can Remember It for You Wholesale by Philip K. Dick
starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rachel Ticotin, Sharon Stone, Michael Ironside, Ronny Cox

"Mephistopheles is such a mouthful in Manhattan, Johnny."
#076 - ANGEL HEART (1987)
screenplay by: Alan Parker / based on the novel Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg
starring: Mickey Rourke, Robert De Niro, Lisa Bonet, Charlotte Rampling, Brownie McGhee

"Nature is not made in the image of man's compassion."
#077 - SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER (1959)
directed by: Joseph L. Mankiewicz
screenplay by: Gore Vidal and Tennessee Williams / based on the play by Tennessee Williams
starring: Elizabeth Taylor, Katharine Hepburn, Montgomery Clift, Albert Dekker, Mercedes McCambridge

"The world's a hungry place."
#078 - DOCTOR SLEEP (2019)
directed by: Mike Flanagan
screenplay by: Mike Flanagan / based on the novel by Stephen King
starring: Ewan McGregor, Rebecca Ferguson, Kyliegh Curran, Cliff Curtis, Zahn McClarnon

"Which would be worse: To live as a monster? Or to die as a good man?"
#079 - SHUTTER ISLAND (2010)
screenplay by: Laeta Kalogridis / based on the novel by Dennis Lehane
starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Michelle Williams, Max von Sydow

"If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels freeing you from the earth. It's just a matter of how you look at it, that's all."
#080 - JACOB'S LADDER (1990)
directed by: Adrian Lyne
written by: Bruce Joel Rubin
starring: Tim Robbins, Elizabeth Peña, Danny Aiello, Matt Craven, Jason Alexander

Jacob's Ladder feels like it was made just for me. It hits ALL the right notes. That movie was the reason I checked out all the Adrian Lyne movies... and to my sore disappointment, the rest were all sexual thrillers or romance movies.

DARTH PAZUZU'S FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME (#81-90):

"I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt."
#081 - NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR (1984)
directed by: Michael Radford
screenplay by: Michael Radford / based on the novel by George Orwell
starring: John Hurt, Richard Burton, Suzanna Hamilton, Cyril Cusack, Gregor Fisher

"Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents, and be happy!"
#082 - THX 1138 (1971)
directed by: George Lucas
screenplay by: George Lucas and Walter Murch / based on a story by George Lucas
starring: Robert Duvall, Donald Pleasence, Don Pedro Colley, Maggie McOmie, Ian Wolfe

"I've already repented. I want to be excused by society. Yes. I want to confess today the sin I'll commit tomorrow. One sin atones for another. It is the price I must pay society. And I shall pay it."
#083 - THE CONFORMIST (1970)
directed by: Bernardo Bertolucci
screenplay by: Bernardo Bertolucci / based on the novel by Alberto Moravia
starring: Jean-Louis Trintignant, Stefania Sandrelli, Gastone Moschin, Dominique Sanda, Pierre Clémenti

"Sometimes everything seems just like a dream. It's not my dream, it's somebody else's. But I have to participate in it. How do you think someone who dreams about us would feel when he wakes up. Feeling ashamed?"
#084 - SHAME (1968)
directed and written by: Ingmar Bergman
starring: Liv Ullmann, Max von Sydow, Sigge Fürst, Gunnar Björnstrand, Birgitta Valberg

"And of my weeping something had been left, which must die now. I mean the truth untold, the pity of war, the pity war distilled."
#085 - WAR REQUIEM (1989)
directed by: Derek Jarman
screenplay by: Derek Jarman / based on the musical piece by Benjamin Britten and the poems of Wilfrid Owen
starring: Nathaniel Parker, Tilda Swinton, Laurence Olivier, Sean Bean, Nigel Terry

"For democracy, any man would give his only begotten son."
#086 - JOHNNY GOT HIS GUN (1971)
directed and written by: Dalton Trumbo / based on his novel
starring: Timothy Bottoms, Jason Robards, Donald Sutherland, Kathy Fields, Marsha Hunt

"I am America. I'm a winner who lost every battle, up to and including the war. I am not the American nightmare! I am the American Dream. Period! That's why the system works. Because I am the system. Period!"
#087 - SECRET HONOR (1984)
directed by: Robert Altman
screenplay by: Donald Freed and Arnold M. Stone / based on their play
starring: Philip Baker Hall

"There is no conspiracy. Nobody is in charge. It's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a master plan. Can you grasp that? Big Brother is not watching you!"
#088 - CUBE (1997)
directed by: Vincenzo Natali
written by: André Bijelic, Graeme Manson and Vincenzo Natali
starring: Nicole de Boer, Maurice Dean Wint, David Hewlett, Nicky Guadagni, Andrew Miller

"You have a center, right? A place inside of you that's just you, that hasn't been spoiled. And I think it's really important to try and keep that space sacred. In some sense, on some level, sex or relationships cloud that space. Or they cloud me, I guess, and make it difficult to be just me and not have to worry about... being somebody else."
#089 - BUG (2006)
screenplay by: Tracy Letts / based on his play
starring: Ashley Judd, Michael Shannon, Harry Connick Jr., Lynn Collins, Brian F. O'Byrne

"For once, there was an unknown land, full of strange flowers and subtle perfumes; a land of which it is joy of all joys to dream; a land where all things are perfect and poisonous."
#090 - VELVET GOLDMINE (1998)
directed by: Todd Haynes
screenplay by: Todd Haynes / based on a story by Todd Haynes and James Lyons
starring: Ewan McGregor, Christian Bale, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Toni Collette, Eddie Izzard

There's some movies that I like on here and also like the different variety of movies, it's not something that comes off as a AFI list or something based on popularity. That's how I have my favorite movies list.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

DARTH PAZUZU'S FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME (#91-100)

"I'm the one that keeps him in shape. See this body? That's my work! I'm the one that feeds him. I pay the bills. I answer the Christmas cards... I'm the one you want!"
#091 - EYES OF LAURA MARS (1978)
directed by: Irvin Kershner
screenplay by: John Carpenter and David Zelag Goodman / based on a story by John Carpenter
starring: Faye Dunaway, Tommy Lee Jones, Brad Dourif, René Auberjonois, Raúl Juliá

"I knew he'd come by. I knew you'd come by. I just knew it! I saw this whole place on television. On this TV I've got in my head. That's right, reruns! Because you can't change the channel, man. Future or past!"
#092 - WHITE OF THE EYE (1987)
directed by: Donald Cammell
screenplay by: China Kong and Donald Cammell / based on the novel Mrs. White by Andrew Klavan and Laurence Klavan
starring: David Keith, Cathy Moriarty, Alan Rosenberg, Art Evans, Michael Greene

"There is no real me, only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there."
#093 - AMERICAN PSYCHO (2000)
directed by: Mary Harron
screenplay by: Mary Harron and Guinevere Turner / based on the novel by Bret Easton Ellis
starring: Christian Bale, Willem Dafoe, Jared Leto, Justin Theroux, Chloë Sevigny

"I can say I definitely didn't do it because I know what I did or didn't do. But I cannot definitely say that about anybody else, 'cause I don't definitely know!"
#094 - RESERVOIR DOGS (1992)
starring: Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Chris Penn, Steve Buscemi

"If I was an imitation, a perfect imitation, how would you know if it was really me?"
#095 - THE THING (1982)
directed by: John Carpenter
screenplay by: Bill Lancaster / based on the novella Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell Jr.
starring: Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley, Keith David, Richard Dysart, David Clennon

"I like to remember things my own way... not necessarily the way they happened."
#096 - LOST HIGHWAY (1997)
written by: David Lynch and Barry Gifford
starring: Bill Pullman, Patricia Arquette, Balthazar Getty, Robert Blake, Robert Loggia

"You will kindly remove your mask!"
#097 - EYES WIDE SHUT (1999)
screenplay by: Stanley Kubrick and Frederic Raphael / based on the novella Traumnovelle by Arthur Schnitzler
starring: Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Sydney Pollack, Todd Field, Marie Richardson

"Nobody commits a murder just for the experiment of committing it. Nobody except us!"
#098 - ROPE (1948)
screenplay by: Arthur Laurents and Hume Cronyn / based on the play by Patrick Hamilton
starring: James Stewart, John Dall, Farley Granger, Joan Chandler, Cedric Hardwicke

"Who is she? Who was she? Who does she hope to be?"
#099 - THE BOYS IN THE BAND (1970)
screenplay by: Mart Crowley / based on his play
starring: Kenneth Nelson, Leonard Frey, Cliff Gorman, Laurence Luckinbill, Peter White

"We deal in deception here. What we do not deal with is self-deception."
#100 - THE DEPARTED (2006)
screenplay by: William Monahan / based on the screenplay Infernal Affairs by Alan Mak and Felix Chong
starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen

There's some movies that I like on here and also like the different variety of movies, it's not something that comes off as a AFI list or something based on popularity. That's how I have my favorite movies list.
Thank you very much for the kind comment! I arrange my lists of favorites in groups of ten, and quite frequently there tend to be many thematic threads woven through each group, even though there is otherwise a fair amount of variety. Take my two most recent posts, for example: The films listed in #81-90 seem to focus on totalitarianism, dystopia, paranoia, survival, conformity vs. rebellion, war and lamentation. While the films listed in my most recent post, #91-100, deal with murder, psychosis, toxic masculinity, masks and shifting identity, selective memory, etc. And if you stretch things enough, you can find a lot of overlapping themes, ideas, subjects and subtexts woven throughout each group of ten. Sometimes this is deliberate, but a lot of times it's instinctive. Quite honestly, if I actually attempted to make a list of favorite movies without recourse to such pretensions, I'd end up with an impractical clusterf*** of multiple ties! At any rate, I hope it makes things more interesting, at least...

And BTW... Hello again, everybody! It's been quite a while now since I've posted on this thread, I believe almost a month. I know that I haven't been participating in any of the game threads or anything else lately, but there's a reason for this absence: I had posted a similar Favorite Movies thread on the Classic Rock Forums 2 (CRF2) website, but when that site went down and kaput, I had to start all over again from scratch! So I took a pen and paper - rather old-fashioned, I know - and wrote down the titles of all the movies that I owned on DVD, Blu-ray and 4K which were stacked up all over my apartment in no particular order. Then I posted and gradually refined this Movie Collection list on another thread on this very website (if you want to check it out). Because if I was going to post lists of my favorite movies and take it past the #100 mark, I needed to a list to consult and have that information at my disposal. Quite frankly, I was starting to get stuck on #81-90 because I couldn't quite remember how the sequence went, and I thought that putting together a complete listing of everything in my collection would jog my memory. But now that that whole business is more or less taken care of (although I still need to finish appending the month and day to each year of release on the list), I'm free to work on my Favorite Movies list and maybe possibly even participate on other threads.

Thank you very much for the kind comment! I arrange my lists of favorites in groups of ten, and quite frequently there tend to be many thematic threads woven through each group, even though there is otherwise a fair amount of variety. Take my two most recent posts, for example: The films listed in #81-90 seem to focus on totalitarianism, dystopia, paranoia, survival, conformity vs. rebellion, war and lamentation. While the films listed in my most recent post, #91-100, deal with murder, psychosis, toxic masculinity, masks and shifting identity, selective memory, etc. And if you stretch things enough, you can find a lot of overlapping themes, ideas, subjects and subtexts woven throughout each group of ten. Sometimes this is deliberate, but a lot of times it's instinctive. Quite honestly, if I actually attempted to make a list of favorite movies without recourse to such pretensions, I'd end up with an impractical clusterf*** of multiple ties! At any rate, I hope it makes things more interesting, at least...
The theme idea sounds interesting.

About them damn ties in ranking movies are one of the reasons why I don't rank them and also the movie you rank like #34 can be your #30 the next day so it's hard to keep a ranked list of top movies. For my list I just keep listing movies and almost up to 150 movies. I have a thread about it you should check it out sometime.[/quote]

This time around, the operative themes seem to be: Revenge, obsession, vigilantism, criminality, justice and the law, personal resiliency, survival, the membrane between life and death, demons (literal and personal), the pushing of boundaries (scientific and personal). Hopefully I'm not underscoring too much here! It's all open to interpretation. Feel free to read whatever you want into it!

DARTH PAZUZU'S FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME (#101-110)

"You will die, like the others before you! One by one, we will take you!"
#101 - THE EVIL DEAD (1981)
directed and written by: Sam Raimi
starring: Bruce Campbell, Ellen Sandweiss, Richard DeManincor, Betsy Baker, Theresa Tilly

"That... will be quite enough of that!"
#102 - FROM BEYOND (1986)
directed by: Stuart Gordon
screenplay by: Dennis Paoli / adapted by Brian Yuzna, Dennis Paoli and Stuart Gordon / based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft
starring: Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton, Ken Foree, Ted Sorel, Carolyn Purdy-Gordon

"Well, l think that that true self, that original self, that first self, is a real, mensurate, quantifiable thing, tangible and incarnate. And I'm going to find the f***er!"
#103 - ALTERED STATES (1980)
screenplay by: Paddy Chayefsky / based on his novel
starring: William Hurt, Blair Brown, Bob Balaban, Charles Haid, Thaao Penghlis

"I think of myself as a sensitive, intelligent human being, but with the soul of a clown that always forces me to blow it at the most crucial moment. I'm a fake hero, a joke the gods played on me."
#104 - THE DOORS (1991)
screenplay by: J. Randal Johnson and Oliver Stone
starring: Val Kilmer, Meg Ryan, Kyle MacLachlan, Kevin Dillon, Frank Whaley

"'Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is.'"
#105 - THE CROW (1994)
directed by: Alex Proyas
screenplay by: David J. Schow and John Shirley / based on the comic book by James O'Barr
starring: Brandon Lee, Michael Wincott, Rochelle Davis, Ernie Hudson, Bai Ling

"Dead or alive, you're coming with me!"
#106 - ROBOCOP (1987)
directed by: Paul Verhoeven
written by: Edward Neumeier and Michael Miner
starring: Peter Weller, Nancy Allen, Daniel O'Herlihy, Ronny Cox, Kurtwood Smith

"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof!"
#107 - V FOR VENDETTA (2005)
directed by: James McTeigue
screenplay by: Lana Wachowski and Lilly Wachowski / based on the graphic novel written by Alan Moore and illustrated by David Lloyd
starring: Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving, Stephen Rea, Stephen Fry, John Hurt

"I didn't start this fight... but by God, I'm going to finish it!"
#108 - CHANGELING (2008)
directed by: Clint Eastwood
written by: J. Michael Straczynski
starring: Angelina Jolie, John Malkovich, Jeffrey Donovan, Michael Kelly, Colm Feore

"I'm at war with the world and everybody in it."
#109 - RUNAWAY TRAIN (1985)
directed by: Andrei Konchalovsky
screenplay by: Djordje Milicevic, Paul Zindel and Edward Bunker / based on a story by Akira Kurosawa
starring: Jon Voight, Eric Roberts, Rebecca De Mornay, Kyle T. Heffner, John P. Ryan

"You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your f***in' fingers and say, 'That's the bad guy!' So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy!"
#110 - SCARFACE (1983)
directed by: Brian De Palma
written by: Oliver Stone
starring: Al Pacino, Steven Bauer, Michelle Pfeiffer, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Robert Loggia

This one's quite the grab bag, thematically speaking. Just at a glance, we've got: Adolescent angst, religious mania, cannibalism, revenge (again!), demons (again!), illusion and subjectivity, media influence, abuse of authority, alien intervention... But once again, it's all open to interpretation!

DARTH PAZUZU'S FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME (#111-120)

"Let me tell you a little something about love... It has a voracious appetite. It eats everything. Friendship. Family. It kills me how much it eats. But I'll tell you something else. You feed it right, and it can be a beautiful thing, and that's what we have!"
#111 - CHRISTINE (1983)
directed by: John Carpenter
screenplay by: Bill Phillips / based on the novel by Stephen King
starring: Keith Gordon, John Stockwell, Alexandra Paul, Robert Prosky, Harry Dean Stanton

"Don't you know a rumble ain't a rumble without me in it?"
#112 - THE OUTSIDERS (1983)
directed by: Francis Ford Coppola
screenplay by: Francis Ford Coppola and S.E. Hinton / based on the novel by S.E. Hinton
starring: C. Thomas Howell, Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe

" Look, I don't wanna be the same as everybody else. That's why I'm a Mod, see? I mean, you gotta be somebody, ain't ya, or you might as well jump in the sea and drown."
#113 - QUADROPHENIA (1979)
directed by: Franc Roddam
screenplay by: Dave Humphries, Martin Stellman, Franc Roddam and Pete Townshend / based on the album by The Who
starring: Phil Daniels, Leslie Ash, Philip Davis, Mark Wingett, Sting

"The subject is committed! As are we all..."
#114 - SHOCK TREATMENT (1981)
directed by: Jim Sharman
written by: Richard O'Brien and Jim Sharman
starring: Jessica Harper, Cliff DeYoung, Richard O'Brien, Patricia Quinn, Charles Gray

"At last! My arm is complete again!"
#115 - SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (2007)
directed by: Tim Burton
screenplay by: John Logan / based on the musical by Stephen Sondheim and Hugh Wheeler and the play by Christopher Bond
starring: Tim Burton, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall, Sacha Baron Cohen

"What's the matter? You have your knife and fork. You do know how to use them. Or have all those carefully learned table manners gone to waste?"
#116 - THE COOK, THE THIEF, HIS WIFE & HER LOVER (1989)
directed and written by: Peter Greenaway
starring: Helen Mirren, Michael Gambon, Richard Bohringer, Alan Howard, Tim Roth

"People who are too g**d***ed religious make a lot of trouble for everybody."
#117 - GOD TOLD ME TO (1976)
directed and written by: Larry Cohen
starring: Tony Lo Bianco, Deborah Raffin, Sandy Dennis, Sylvia Sidney, Richard Lynch

"We got a German here who wants to die for his country. Oblige him!"
#118 - INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS (2009)
starring: Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz, Michael Fassbender, Diane Kruger, Mélanie Laurent

"It's all recorded. No hay banda! It's all a tape. Il n'est pas de orquestra. It is... an illusion!"
#119 - MULHOLLAND DRIVE (2001)
directed and written by: David Lynch
starring: Naomi Watts, Laura Elena Harring, Justin Theroux, Ann Miller, Robert Forster

"I have dreams... of a rose... and of falling down a long flight of steps."
#120 - THE EXORCIST III (1990)
directed by: William Peter Blatty
starring: George C. Scott, Ed Flanders, Brad Dourif, Jason Miller, Nicol Williamson

Note the title: That's favorite movies of all time, not best. I'm certainly not about to claim that any of the movies on my list of all-time favorites can qualify as the best of all time. (My #1 pick would most definitely inspire raised eyebrows and double- or triple-takes, if not outright ridicule.) But they are the ones with the most - for lack of a better word - resonance to me personally. The movies near the top of my list are the ones that I'm most likely to pop into my Blu-ray player when I'm in the mood to watch a film.

Here's my (tentative) plan: I'm going to list my favorite movies in groups of ten. And no, at this point, I don't really know how far down the list I'm going to go! I imagine at some point later in the future I might be giving individual reviews to the films one at a time. But not right now. I think I'll wait.

and your father. Now when I get the sun, I smile!"[/i]
#005 - REQUIEM FOR A DREAM (2000)
screenplay by: Hubert Selby Jr. and Darren Aronofsky / based on Selby's novel
starring: Ellen Burstyn, Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly, Marlon Wayans, Christopher McDonald

"I only want you to accept what you are. Don't pretend!"
#006 - THE MUSIC LOVERS (1971)
screenplay by: Melvyn Bragg / based on the book Beloved Friend by Catherine Drinker Bowen and Barbara von Meck
starring: Richard Chamberlain, Glenda Jackson, Max Adrian, Christopher Gable, Kenneth Colley

[img]https://m.medi

a-amazon.com/images/I/81jnvABRyXL._AC_UY218_.jpg[/img]

"We have such sights to show you!"
#007 - HELLRAISER (1987)
directed and written by: Clive Barker / based on his novella The Hellbound Heart
starring: Andrew Robinson, Clare Higgins, Ashley Laurence, Sean Chapman, Doug Bradley

"Is there anybody out there?"
#008 - PINK FLOYD: THE WALL (1982)
screenplay by: Roger Waters / based on the album by Pink Floyd
starring: Bob Geldof, Christine Hargreaves, James Laurence, Eleanor David, Bob Hoskins

Degen[/b]
There are two films on this list that I never heard of but am very pleased to see Virginia Woolf and Talk Radio here.

Does anybody remember The Next Day, the next-to-last David Bowie album, released in 2013?

At the time, David Bowie did no interviews in support of the album, opting instead to keep a low profile and let the music do the talking. However, during an online correspondence with a writer named Rick Moody, when Moody requested for some information on the subject matter of the songs, he gave a list of 42 words. This was interpreted as a kind of key code for understanding the songs on the album, or as Moody described it, "a sort of work flow diagram." Each successive group of three words corresponded to a song on the album. For example, the first three words correspond to the opening title track: "Effigies / indulgences / anarchist", while the first single, Where Are We Now?, matches up with the words "Mauer / interface / flitting". The words "Crusade / tyrant / domination" correspond with the song If You Can See Me, and the final three words "Tragic / nerve / mystification" match up with the closing number Heat.

What, pray tell, does all this have to do with my ongoing lists of favorite movies?

Simple. For the last couple of posts, before each list, I've listed many of the different overlapping subjects and themes that the different movies within each group of ten share. Well... Howzabout I try something a little more interesting? Y'know, like the 42-word key code that Bowie gave the writer Rick Moody to explain the themes and ideas of the songs on The Next Day?

So here's the deal: Instead of three words per song (totaling 42), as given by Bowie, I'll give a list of five songs per movie (totaling 50)! And given that the subject matter, themes and subtexts of the movies has a tendency to overlap, so does the applicability of the words. Meaning that even though each movie will be given its own set of five, any of those words could also potentially refer to other movies. Also, there will be a kind of "blending" from one set of five to another. In theory, that ought to make all the words resonate with each other and light the whole thing up like a Christmas tree. (Provided I'm that good, of course! )

DARTH PAZUZU'S FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME (#121-130):

WORD KEY CODE:
forest / patriarch / shepherd / miracle / violation / prostitute / bounty / confiscate / corpse / legend / bullet / reclusive / androgyne / business / artist / recovery / apparition / son / conceal / madness / miscarry / espionage / doppelgänger / tentacles / cuckold / disguise / kink / urban / swelter / riot / rebel / synthetic / four / photograph / corporate / tumor / hallucinate / optical / erotic / assassin / agent / revelation / rabbit / steak / liberate / message / robot / energy / guide / victory

"I must ask my husband what a fitting reward would be for such a valuable garment."
#121 - THE VIRGIN SPRING (1960)
directed by: Ingmar Bergman
written by: Ulla Isaksson / adapted from the ballad Töres döttrar i Wänge
starring: Max von Sydow, Birgitta Valberg, Gunnel Lindblom, Birgitta Pettersson, Axel Düberg

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
#122 - UNFORGIVEN (1992)
directed by: Clint Eastwood
written by: David Webb Peoples
starring: Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris, Jaimz Woolvett

"Maybe... maybe it's time for a change, he thought. Then, immediately, as he watched, the image faded. His demon had abandoned him! He's still tryin' to figure out whether he wants it back."
#123 - PERFORMANCE (1970)
directed by: Donald Cammell and Nicolas Roeg
written by: Donald Cammell
starring: Mick Jagger, James Fox, Anita Pallenberg, Michèle Breton, Johnny Shannon

"Why doesn't my real daddy ever come back to see me?"
#124 - SHOCK (1977)
directed by: Mario Bava
written by: Lamberto Bava, Francesco Barbieri, Alessandro Parenzo, Dardano Sacchetti
starring: Daria Nicolodi, John Steiner, David Colin Jr., Ivan Rassimov, Nicola Salerno

"What I miscarried there was sister Faith, and what was left is sister Chance. So I had to take care of my faith to protect it."
#125 - POSSESSION (1981)
directed by: Andrzej Żuławski
written by: Andrzej Żuławski and Frederic Tuten
starring: Isabelle Adjani, Sam Neill, Heinz Bennent, Margit Carstensen, Johanna Hofer

"I think God's tellin' me I'm gonna burn in Hell if I don't stop cheatin'!"
#126 - SUMMER OF SAM (1999)
directed by: Spike Lee
written by: Victor Colicchio, Michael Imperioli and Spike Lee
starring: John Leguizamo, Adrien Brody, Mira Sorvino, Jennifer Esposito, Michael Rispoli

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."
#127 - BLADE RUNNER (1982)
directed by: Ridley Scott
screenplay by: Hampton Fancher and David Webb Peoples / based on the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
starring: Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos, Daryl Hannah

"It has something that you don't have... it has a philosophy. And that is what makes it dangerous!"
#128 - VIDEODROME (1983)
directed and written by: David Cronenberg
starring: James Woods, Deborah Harry, Sonja Smits, Peter Dvorsky, Les Carlson

"Have you ever had a dream... that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?"
#129 - THE MATRIX (1999)
directed and written by: Lana Wachowski and Lilly Wachowski
starring: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving, Joe Pantoliano

"I want to come with you to Alderaan. There's nothing for me here now. I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father."
#130 - STAR WARS EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE (1977)
directed and written by: George Lucas
starring: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness

DARTH PAZUZU'S FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME (#131-140):

WORD KEY CODE:
nuclear / future / mimic / rescue / killer / bed / canker / fingernails / sleep / boiler / fire / prophecy / jackal / decapitate / birthmark / autopsy / cryonic / molten / prison / survivor / horse / cheat / duel / opportunist / amputate / school / war / jealousy / mushroom / incest / suicide / model / neighbor / church / blind / singularity / distress / gravity / decompression / chaos / expiation / insect / siege / bullets / window / house / writer / muse / infanticide / zealot

"It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are dead!"
#131 - THE TERMINATOR (1984)
written by: James Cameron and Gale Ann Hurd
starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Biehn, Linda Hamilton, Paul Winfield, Lance Henriksen

"Whatever you do... don't fall asleep!"
#132 - A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984)
directed and written by: Wes Craven
starring: John Saxon, Ronee Blakley, Heather Langenkamp, Johnny Depp, Robert Englund

"Have no fear, little one... I am here to protect thee."
#133 - THE OMEN (1976)
directed by: Richard Donner
written by: David Seltzer
starring: Gregory Peck, Lee Remick, Harvey Stephens, David Warner, Billie Whitelaw

"For within each seed, there is a promise of a flower. And within each death, no matter how small, there's always a new life. A new beginning. Amen."
#134 - ALIEN³ (1992)
screenplay by: David Giler, Walter Hill and Larry Ferguson / based on a story by Vincent Ward and characters created by Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett
starring: Sigourney Weaver, Charles S. Dutton, Charles Dance, Paul McGann, Lance Henriksen

"I don't think he loves my mother at all, and it hurts me to see her make such a fool of herself."
#135 - BARRY LYNDON (1975)
screenplay by: Stanley Kubrick / based on the novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon by William Makepeace Thackeray
starring: Ryan O'Neal, Marisa Berenson, Patrick Magee, Hardy Krüger, Leon Vitali

"I've been at war a long time. It's been months since I've seen a woman's face. You'll find I'm easily amused."
#136 - THE BEGUILED (1971)
directed by: Don Siegel
screenplay by: Albert Maltz and Irene Kamp / based on the novel by Thomas P. Cullinan
starring: Clint Eastwood, Geraldine Page, Elizabeth Hartman, Jo Ann Harris, Darleen Carr

"And remember... friendships can often blossom into bliss!"
#137 - THE SENTINEL (1977)
directed by: Michael Winner
screenplay by: Michael Winner and Jeffrey Konvitz / based on the novel by Jeffrey Konvitz
starring: Chris Sarandon, Cristina Raines, John Carradine, Ava Gardner, Burgess Meredith

"You know nothing. Hell is only a word. The reality is much, much worse!"
#138 - EVENT HORIZON (1997)
directed by: Paul W.S. Anderson
written by: Philip Eisner
starring: Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, Kathleen Quinlan, Joely Richardson, Jason Isaacs

"As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion?"
#139 - THE MIST (2007)
directed by: Frank Darabont
screenplay by: Frank Darabont / based on the novella by Stephen King
starring: Thomas Jane, Marcia Gay Harden, Laurie Holden, Andre Braugher, Toby Jones

"You give, and you give, and you give. It's just never enough."
#140 - MOTHER! (2017)
directed and written by: Darren Aronofsky
starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer, Brian Gleeson