What Are YOUR Top 3 Favourite Movies?

Tools    

taxi driver
pulp fiction
godfather

for those of ya who say pulp fiction is over-rated... im pretty damn sure u just dont get the movie at all... but unfortunetly you're right... it is overrated by stupid idiots who think independent films are cool. for example, all those who talk about napoleon F&ckin dynamite as if it was a good film...

Originally Posted by T.Bickle
for those of ya who say pulp fiction is over-rated... im pretty damn sure u just dont get the movie at all
People say its overrated because of all the "homages" it pays, it bugs them because Tarantino's basically stealing ideas from other films.

Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins
People say its overrated because of all the "homages" it pays, it bugs them because Tarantino's basically stealing ideas from other films.
thats one of his purposes... hes the world's greatest movie fan

since he's got the opportunity, he makes reference to those movies he respects

and hes the first one to admit it

since he's got the opportunity, he makes reference to those movies he respects

and hes the first one to admit it
That's why people say he's overrated, because he just ain't original. But I'll admit, he does have a talent for producing great, quotable dialogue.

how is making references to lots of movies (more than we know probably) in one original script (written within three weeks by the way) not original?!?!?

how is making references to lots of movies (more than we know probably) in one original script (written within three weeks by the way) not original?!?!?
The Pulp Fiction screenplay isn't really original, the dialogue is but the stories aren't. QT's even said it himself. It's the three classic stories you're always seeing: taking the boss' wife out on a date, the aging boxer agreeing to take a dive then pulling a fast one, and a cleaner coming in to help someone dispose of a body. It's all been done before.

Like I said, his dialogue is great and original, it's just his direction and what he includes in his stories that people hate. The shot of adrenaline to the heart in Pulp Fiction, for example, is taken almost word for word from Martin Scorsese's "American Boy", and Vincent and Mia's dance scene is taken directly from Jean-Luc Goddard's Bande Á Part.

The mexican stand-off in Reservoir Dogs is stolen from John Woo's Hard Boiled. The opening sequence in Jackie Brown, where Pam Grier is on an escalator, is stolen form Mike Nichol's The Graduate. O-Ren Ishi-ii throwing that dart out through the door in Kill Bill is stolen from Shaolin Assassin. The list goes on and on. That's what I meant when I said he ain't original.

Anyway, it wasn't me who said Pulp Fiction is overrated. I quite like it actually. Even though it's stolen from various sources, it's still a very enjoyable film (as are all of his flicks).

Oh, and welcome to the site.

you know what? .. you're completely right

no question about it... pulp fiction is a story created by taking three classic stories and scenes from different films

but by doing so, he created one masterpiece in which he discusses human nature, psychology and point in life

his dialogues are far greater than usual... they're genius

Tarantino LIKES creating by alluding other films... but he is not stealing, hes making reference and paying respect

his work is completely original.. no one else can make films like pulp fiction and reservoir dogs just by stealing from other films

My Top 3 Favorite Films

The most beautiful movie I've ever seen. Every scene is heartwarming, hilarious & chock full of pure emotion.

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark

No film will ever match this one in sheer entertainment value. A timeless gem that takes the viewer on an incredible swashbuckling adventure they won't soon forget.

3. The Godfather Pts. I & II

I couldn't choose between the two, because you can only appreciate them when they stand together. Classics that will never cease to be a powerful and unforgettable experience.

A system of cells interlinked
you know what? .. you're completely right

no question about it... pulp fiction is a story created by taking three classic stories and scenes from different films

but by doing so, he created one masterpiece in which he discusses human nature, psychology and point in life

his dialogues are far greater than usual... they're genius

Tarantino LIKES creating by alluding other films... but he is not stealing, hes making reference and paying respect

his work is completely original.. no one else can make films like pulp fiction and reservoir dogs just by stealing from other films
I think that Pulp Fiction is more about redemption than the other points listed. All three allude to it at some point or another. I don't really see how psychology comes into play in the film in any strong form.

Think about:

Butch/Marsellas Wallace storyline deals in redemption, with Butch finally redeeming himself with Marsellas after their ordeal with the hillbillies.

Sam Jackson spouts scripture at the beginning, only to realize he had been misinterpreting the passages all along, and finally decides to correct his evil ways at the end of the film, while also helping to redeem Honey Bunny with his speech at the end. Listen to the speech very carefully, it is quite important to the themes of the film.

As for the homage, almost every scene in the film uses it.

A couple more that haven't been listed:

When Marcellus goes to get coffee, and walks in fron tof Butch's car, the angles and actor's movements mirror those in a similar scene in Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho.

The case is a tribute to the mysterious leather case in robert Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly (1955). tarantino said when asked about it's contents "It's whatever you want it to be." The glowing light from the case reminds us of Repo-Man.

The kitchen scene with Jules and Jimmy is a direct homage to, yup you guessed it, Truffaut's Jules et Jim.

Someone told me Butch is a lot like a character played by Robert Ryan in The Set-up, but I haven't seen that one.

The rape of Wallace is Deliverence-like in it's execution.

Keitel's Wolf seems a lot like Reno's cleaner in La Femme Nikita, a role Keitel actually played in the American remake, Point of No Return.

One could also argue that Stanley Kubrick's The Killing was an inspiration for the structure of the film.

The mexican stand-off in the restaurant may be homage to Quentin's own Reservoir Dogs, which paid homage to another mexican stand-off I am sure.

Then there are the more... shall we say, creative theories about the film, and the briefcase especailly. There are hypothesis about th case all over the place with the most popular being that the case contains the following:

Marcellus Wallace's soul
- The combo to the case is 666, and the band-aid would be where the soul was taken out. When Brett is killed there is a flash of gold light, like that in the case. I am not buying this theory at all.

The Diamonds from Reservoir Dogs - Another popular one, but diamonds don't glow gold last I checked.

An academy award - Quentin was projecting his Best-Picture award would taken by another film, and wanted to comment about it in the film itself.... huh?

Tinker Bell
- Someone said that because Disney was involved with Mirimax, they instructed all directors to hide Disney stuff in their films (A hidden Mickey Mouse is already confirmed in Kill Bill and Reservoir Dogs), but this explaination seems totally lame to me, and I am not buying this either...

haha i always laugh when i hear people's theories about tarantino's metaphores and stuff like that. Tarantino doesnt like to dissapoint his fans so he doesnt say what he truly meant.. but people who know about movies will appreciate this little details, I certainly do.

it is my opinion and belief that tarantino's ability to incorporate all these scenes and ideas from other movies into his, is not only original, but admirable.

about the message and purpose of the movie... yeah, redemption is the easiest to perceive. But when I watch the movie, I see how people interact, how people think, and how people live.

for example, the movie contains a great discussion about violence. plus, the movie is violent but not in a visual way. This makess us think about violence in our lifes and minds... what we think of violence.

the characters were made so real and the actors are so good portraying them, that the movie ends up extremely realistic even with all of the fantastic bull which makes us laugh and intrigues us

when all of these elements and whole other bunch are compiled into one movie.... i'll strongly believe that it is original

-=fReAkIn dVd nUtZ=-
This is some great posting here.....I have thouroughly enjoyed reading this thread....least it has ran into a Pulp thread....LOL

And I especially liked the Oscar theory for whats inside the briefcase...that would seem like something he might do..IMO

Bulls DVD Collection
Its a start....all I like is finishing!

Originally Posted by Sedai
The mexican stand-off in the restaurant may be homage to Quentin's own Reservoir Dogs, which paid homage to another mexican stand-off I am sure.
Tarantino took those Mexican stand-offs from the early films of John Woo. Watch Hard Boiled and you'll notice a few shots that look familiar.

Ahh... I love the smell of Pulp Fiction talk in the morning.
It's my favorite film, and I love to hear people talk about it and say things more insightful than "Damn, that part with Sammy J. was the ****!" and the like. Yes, Tarantino lifts from other films and pieces of art and then swirls it all together to create a cinema-lovers wet dream- a film that's a love letter to film. I think that's why its so many movie fans favorite. Of course I've yet to see all the film's Tarantino pays homage to, and maybe when I do my appreciation for this film, as well as his other works will decline, but for now, this is my number one.

Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins
Tarantino took those Mexican stand-offs from the early films of John Woo. Watch Hard Boiled and you'll notice a few shots that look familiar.

Or even The Killer, which i'm sure it bears a far stronger resemblance to. Also, Woo took the stand-off from Peckinpah, don't know what films though.

My problem with Tarrantino is, i feel he is rather arrogant and most people seem to refer to him as their favourite art house director?! I pretty sure there is no way he's art house after splitting Kill Bill in 2. That's said i like his films.

STOMP FREAKIN' TASTIC!
Quite an easy one for me... my top 3:

Predator
Predator 2
Alien VS Predator.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Or even The Killer, which i'm sure it bears a far stronger resemblance to. Also, Woo took the stand-off from Peckinpah, don't know what films though.

My problem with Tarrantino is, i feel he is rather arrogant and most people seem to refer to him as their favourite art house director?! I pretty sure there is no way he's art house after splitting Kill Bill in 2. That's said i like his films.
well, the reason to split the film in two was that the first volume was made to pay homage to tarantino's favorite japanesse films and the second volume payed homage to spaghetti westerns; and they are completely different films...

A system of cells interlinked
well, the reason to split the film in two was that the first volume was made to pay homage to tarantino's favorite japanesse films and the second volume payed homage to spaghetti westerns; and they are completely different films...
Actually, they aren't, and that isn't the reason he split the films. Tarantino himself has said the script was written as one film. Also, please tell me which Western "The Cruel Tutelage of Pai Mai" was paying homage to. Both films pay homage to both asian cinema and the old Italian westerns. So, It's a single narrative, using the same characters, so it's all one story, right?

Here is a recent quote from Tarantino:

"Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair is definitely getting a wide release," he told us, "actually, that'll probably be the first movie that Miramax, under their new company, will be releasing theatrically. It's the Japanese version, that's why I call it that, you know, it should probably come out in the next few months. It's going to be NC-17 in America. We couldn't do that when Disney owned the place but now Disney's the **** outta there we can do anything we want! It's gonna be off the hook!"

That is the latest, and Tarantino has stated numerous times for numerous sources that the film was originally going to be one film, but he just couldn't fit the story into the alloted time frame.

So....completely sifferent films? Annie and Kill Bill are completely different films. Kill Bill and Kill Bill Part II are one film, split in half, as the creator/director has said, many times.

Raiders of The Lost Ark
Pulp Fiction
Goodfellas

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by squeezyrider
Raiders of The Lost Ark
Pulp Fiction
Goodfellas
Hey squeezy, good to see you here.

Spag...